Goodreads asked Nicola Griffith:

Nicola Griffith Write. I expand on this in a 30-minute Q&A session filmed late last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sixUh...

If you have written you're a writer. It's pretty simple. But being a writer and being an author are two different things.

If you're an aspiring author, then you've written and you want to be published. Then you need to ask yourself: How do I want to be published? Do you want a long career in which writing is your main source of income? Do you want awards? Do you want others to handle the business side or are you willing to do it yourself?

It's a whole set of decisions based on something only you, as a writer, can speak to: what do you want?

When you know that, you'll have a better idea of how to proceed. Or at least I'll have a better idea of how to answer...
Nicola Griffith
964 followers