Ann
Ann asked:

What did you think about the ending of the book?

To answer questions about Family Life, please sign up.
Mariann Scott I disliked the ending. It felt like a rushed let down after investing so much into the characters.
Charlie Seemed rushed to me, and pretty unsatisfying.
Marlene I found it deeply unsatisfying. So abrupt. Given the slow pace of his early development, his adult development rushed by and ended without much sense of what was next. Even the relationship that might be considered happy and therefore stressful for him was underdeveloped.
Ramona Mead I think it fit with the rest of the book although I was hoping for something a bit more dramatic or final.
Lou I too thought the ending was rushed, compared to the pace of the rest of the story it seemed very abrupt. But it makes you go back to the beginning again to get a glimpse of his family whilst he's an adult in later life.
Devang Vaidya I loved the novel and enjoyed the sparse prose. I found the ending abrupt, and although I was not expecting anything specific, I would have liked to know what the narrator had discovered about himself. The cryptic mention of an epiphany is incongruous with his otherwise self-disclosive voice. In the very last sentence he becomes an unreliable narrator. Now that he's come of age perhaps he is more guarded. I do have a hunch about what he means, and for a clue I went back to the first page.
Laura McNeal I loved it. I thought it was perfect.
Robyn I agree that it seemed a bit rushed. For me this could have been a much longer book, continuing the deeper exploration of the "incident's" aftermath as the family members aged. A beautiful, funny and moving book nonetheless.
Image for Family Life