Laura Cenci
Laura Cenci asked Mark Bittman:

My husband, a native of Argentina who would only eat red meat, pasta and sweets, lost 50 pounds after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and started drinking green Naked juice, eating bananas for potassium and eating a reasonable dinner. He has maintained this weight for 18 months by basically staying on this diet and feels great. What is your take on juicing?

Mark Bittman There are three kinds of juice: sugar water with a little fruit in it; fruit that has all the solids removed; or just blended solids. Assuming nothing’s been added, the third is the only kind I’d ever drink. The first is a sugary beverage; the second – why would you do that? Even the third, though, isn’t as satisfying to me as a salad or a pile of cooked vegetables. But hey, if it works for him …