Goodreads asked Mary Mackey:

Mary Mackey I don't actually need to be inspired to write because I love to write even more than I love to eat chocolate. However I get inspired--that is to say I get ideas--in the oddest places at the oddest moments. For example, I came up with the idea for my New York Times best-seller "A Grand Passion" (a novel about 3 generations of women involved in ballet) while standing in the shower. The entire plot just popped into my head.

I got inspired to write "The Last Warrior Queen" by randomly pulling a book off a library shelf when I was grading freshman compositions, opening it, and finding myself reading "History Begins At Sumer" by the great historian Samuel Noah Kramer.

The idea for all the novels in "The Year The Horses Came" series, including the prequel I'm working on now, came from being given the manuscript of archaeologist Marija Gimbutas's great study of the goddess-worshiping cultures of Neolithic Europe "The Language of the Goddess." I took one look at it and said to myself:"These cultures possessed a message of peace and harmony that the world needs to hear about. I am going to raise up those people, put flesh on their bones, and make them real again."