15 of Your Biggest Grammar and Punctuation Pet Peeves
Are you a proud member of the grammar police? We asked on Facebook and Twitter: What's your biggest grammar and punctuation pet peeve? From murdered contractions to apostrophes on the lam, these are your least favorite offenses against the English language.
1. "My BIGGEST pet peeve is when people use 'I' and 'me' incorrectly! Ughhhhh!" (Debbie Jones)
2. "Apostrophes in plurals. *cringe*" (@stampepk)
3. "Could of, would of and should of. I read a book recently where the author did this. The first time they did it I thought it was just an oversight, but it continued for the rest of the book. I almost quit reading it because it annoyed me so much!" (Gemma Riseborough)
4. "I can't stand it when people misuse quotation marks to add emphasis. I prefer the more elegant italic." (@bssmithy)
5. "The other day someone wrote this to me on Facebook: 'Your uneducated.' I replied, 'Oh, really? I'm pretty sure it's you're. But what do I know? I'm uneducated.' LOL." (Kori Keith)
6. "One huge sentence without a single comma or full stop." (@ElaBluEyes)
7. "When people add an 's' to the word 'mine.' That doesn't make sense unless you're referring to the places where miners work." (Barbara Anne Huskey )
8. "A lack of subject-verb agreement pains me. Can't the two just get along?" (Suzy Solomon Scheinthal )
9. "Mixing up the words 'off' and 'of.' When did that creep in????" (@Poloneckpolice)
10. "Too, two and to. Come on, people—it hasn't changed. Get it right!" (@brendajoyce58 )
11. "When someone says 'neither' or 'either' before listing three or more things." (@AWahle)
12. "Double negatives and multiple exclamation marks!" (@dbharkes)
13. "The misuse of where, wear, we're." (Diane M Riley)
14. "When people write sentences entirely in capital letters. Grrrr!" (@SarcasticEnigma)
15. "My biggest pet peeve is using 'text speech' for everything instead of knowing how to actually spell words." (@Madelin86642569 )
And if the above wasn't enough to rattle you, try this dizzying sentence from Paul: "There all going too the libary supposabley too catch up on some lite reading today to help them read more better."
What's your biggest grammar or punctuation pet peeve? Tell us in the comments!
Comments Showing 1-50 of 482 (482 new)
back to top