We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Anorexia

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments ok so wat r ur guyses takes on anorexia?

btw just something i want 2 say:my lil sis, she's 8. she thought she was fat even though she wasn't and she 8 a ton less than she did, which wasn't much 2 begin with. she had her physicals 2day. 96% of ppl her height weigh more than she does.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's really sad about your sister, especially at such a young age. I think it's terrible... and I think our culture has driven girls to be this way. Even though we pretend we don't, we obviously value women who are skinny. Teenage girls pick up on this, and starve themselves, one of the ultimate forms of self-abuse.

However, I want to say something else. You know how they always talk about having "healthy" supermodels, but then they just have obese women come in? That always annoys me. We should not be sending out the message to girls that it's ok to be fat either.

message 3: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments yeah. for some strange reason, normal, HEALTHY women aren't chosen to be models.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin Barbies, models, those little model things at department stores, fashion posters, all of them give a false interpretation of what you should look like. It's not what's on the outside anyways, that counts.

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah i no. but girls still think they have 2 b ultra-skinny 2 b pretty.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah i no. and dean most 12-year-olds weigh more than 80....

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin haha, I was gunna say...

message 8: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i said most girls who r obsessed with their weight think that i did not say that i nor boys think that. and wowz dean. how tall r u?

message 9: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz robin!

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin How old are you is more like it...

message 11: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments well if ur really short or tall then it varies, i mean if ur 5 but u r somehow 4"8 u should b heavier than the average 5 year-old....

message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments oh that's normal then...although...lolz i'm an 8th grader who is used 2 picking on 6th graders jk but lolz do 8th graders pick on 6th graders @ ur school?

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 27, 2009 07:17PM) (new)

I'm 5' 4 1/4" and 107 pounds. I'm skinny but my doctor said I'm good.

I'm sort of mixed on the supermodel issue... as much as I think young girls should have healthier role models, I can also see fashion designers just wanting "clothes hangers" for their clothes. And they want these clothes hangers to be skinny and look a certain way. So I could go either way on this.

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments so r we but somehow there r still a lot of lil kid bullying going on...

message 15: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments I agree with Erin. Most of the "healthy" role models I've seen used to be anorexic and then stopped but instead of starting to eat right they ate whatever they wanted and became obese. Girls who have an eating disorder and see that are not going to stop because becoming overweight is the LAST thing they want. What they need is a role model who eats healthy and exercises, even if she is skinny. The reason she's thin is she takes care of herself. Neither starving yourself or letting yourself go are the solution.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Many celebrity women are actually good role models. They have such intense work out plans, but they eat and take care of themselves. They are slim, but still have muscles and curves.

message 17: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 84 comments any advertisement with people in it is fake...

message 18: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i agree with cira

message 19: by Kaytrina (new)

Kaytrina | 32 comments I think it's terrible when girls obsess over their weight!They are nearly KILLING themselves just to look good!I mean,I'm like 145 pounds and I'm only about 5'5'',but y'all dont see me complaining!

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments not always nearly....

message 21: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi wow, I'm like 5'5" but I weigh like 160. I'm not overweight or anything, but I know some people who can just eat anything and never gain weight. and I can understand how that affects people. there have been times and there still are times in my life that I have to stop and tell myself that (1.) It doesn't matter what people think I look like, only what I think I look like and (2.) I look fine the way I am, even if it wouldn't hurt me (or anyone else in my immediate family) to exercise.
But my willpower is weak. I like food too much to even consider not eating

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments another thing-ppl don't always realize they're anorexic (personal xperience)

message 23: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi I don't see how you couldn't realize that you aren't eating

message 24: by Paige (last edited Feb 08, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Paige -randomly pops in-

Actually, it's kind of easy to lose track of when and what you're eating if you're really busy or overwhelmed. (I know this from personal experience as well.)

message 25: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments dragon_eyes: idk how, but somehow i did fail 2 notice.

message 26: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments I agree it's really easy to lose track. I was anorexic for like 3 months and I only realized it in the last month. I just kept making up reasons to not eat. I guess I still am a little, whenever other ppl aren't eating I just don't eat.
It's not just girls that have this problem. Every single good looking male celebrity you see has a six pack, which is even worse cuz u can't just get it by being skinny
I'm 6/4 and 154 pounds

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i'm having a relapse...*sigh* yippee**

(4 those that don't know me well, which is every1 here, i use ** 2 mean sarcasm)

message 28: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments PPLZ!!! I KNOW WE SORTA ABANDONED THIS TOPIC BUT PLZ READ THIS WEBSITE!!! THIS MADE ME CRY!!!
http://community.livejournal.com/proa...

message 29: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments OMG THERE'S TONS OF WEBSITES LIKE THIS!!! http://tinyurl.com/cs7au5

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) umm I'm 5'2 & I weigh 90-ish pounds. I'm not anorexic tho... I eat alot I just never gain weight bc I play sports alot.
Also, being small just kinda runs in my family...my 22 yr old sister is the same height as me.

message 31: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
That pro-ana stuff is crap.

message 32: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments srsly
thats like pro suicide
or pro cutting

message 33: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Or pro-stupid.

I'm anti-stupid.

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yep

sara-i'm 5'0 and i'm 80....there should not b this big a difference...and lolz i eat a lot and sit doing nuthin all day....

message 35: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

5'8", around 150 the last time i checked...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel so bad for those girls.

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "yep

sara-i'm 5'0 and i'm 80....there should not b this big a difference...and lolz i eat a lot and sit doing nuthin all day...."

all of my weight is muscle

message 38: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

And muscle is denser, and therefore heavier pound for pound then fat.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) yep!

message 40: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz 80 lbs does not leave much space 4 fat.

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) yeah