Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Do you allow authors to talk about their own books?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dr (new)

Dr Dr Robert E McGinnis

If so, you can take a look at my profile. If not, I apologise for the intrusion.

sincerely

Dr Robert E McGinnis

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell It would be nice if you contributed to other discussions first. Otherwise people might get the crazy idea you're a spammer. And you don't want to find out what Sally does to spammers.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Hi Dr.

*hides paddle*

Is there some talking that is forthcoming, or are you hoping that by just posting this link we will all start chatting about your book without your presence? Because I know, I post plenty of random things that never garner one response unless I linger about and prod these peeps with the threat of corporeal punishment.

Have you been a member of TerminalCoffee for long? What drew you to our group? I'm truly interested in hearing more about you if you find the time...

message 4: by Dr (new)

Dr I am a rambler, a gambler and it is hard to stop me when I get going. I can't remember how I bumped into your group, but I have been on Goodreads for some time. I roam around outside in my swamp until I get tired and then I wander aimless over to the wood shop where I pound out a few pieces of furniture from time to time and after all is said and done, I sit down before my computer, bow my head and pray that someone won't complain about me joining their group.

After I retired from teaching, I tried to find a way to keep in touch with my students and then one day, I got the bright idea to write books that the students of my earlier years would like. From time to time, they come to stay with me, bringing their wives and husbands and now most of them have two or three kids. We fish, we play, and some of them even like to chop down one of my trees from time to time.

It is hard to believe that most of my students are as old as I was when I began thinking about retirement. I guess life is a very long chain of events which is one of my favorite subjects. One reason I like being around young people is that they are open to suggestion and often have a much better idea about what I am talking about than I do, like the seasoning on a good meal. But, recently we have gotten into talking about our genetic link back to the beginning of time and our contributions of continuation out far, far ahead in time. Two parents, produce an off spring with an entirely different code than any ever before in time and these off spring will have the same opportunity and be able to create a new model with every child. No one has ever been duplicated and no one ever will be and that goes for cloning as well. Time and place are variables along with all the other coding. So now that we have covered that. I am sure you want to hear more.

If you would tell me what things you like to hear, then I will come back in entertain you with my thoughts there as well. I love talking, can you tell?

Oh, you asked if I have been part of TerminalCoffee for very long? No, just about three minutes before Dave and you jumped on me. But, that is OK, I don't mind. And, if you read my initial statement. I still apologize for the intrusion. I did ask permission and I have a big heart, if permission is denied, I will get over it.

I will be very happy to add specifics, let me know.
Yours truly, Dr Paradise

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 26, 2009 02:26AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Well then. This is interesting. I love the fact that you got approached as soon as you entered. We've got bouncers.

Frankly, Dr. Paradise, I think you need to find the cruise ship book guy, drive to his house, and throw eggs at him. He's to blame.

If you're here to be part of the group and you wrote a book, great...we've got a few very cool authors on TC. If you're here to sell a book and only talk about your book all the time...it's gonna get old quick.

message 6: by Dr (new)

Dr Thanks for the reply. If you take a look at the statistics, most of us self published don't even sell one book. On the other hand, we work hard, love what we do and are proud that we took the time to write something, hopefully, that others will enjoy reading. My first book went on sale back in Sept and if you subtract the people that are family friends and the books we ourselves bought, I have sold two books. Not bad considering most of us in the self published group never sell to anyone outside of their own circle. Now, I did say most of us, there are many self published who take off grandly, sell a lot of books and almost pay back what it cost them to create something that they hoped someone else would enjoy. My reason for writing, and let me admit, I am very old, retired and have several human frailties other than age, one of which includes total blindness in one eye and a partial in the other. My biggest reason for writing is to leave a part of me for those of mine who might be around one or two hundred years from now and ask, "mommy, what did great great grandfather do?"

Now you know my secret. As a teacher and counselor for almost thirty years, I have a lot of students who still keep in touch. They have encouraged me to write some of the stories we talked about when I was a teacher and they were my students.

So overall, it matters not whether the moderators of Goodreads understand or not. I continue to do my best.

I love writing, I enjoy doing it and I am proud to encourage you youngsters to do the same. Ignore the obstacles and the self cost. leave your moccasin tracks in stone.

It might behoove Goodreads to have a post or blog section just for people who love writing just to see how popular it would be.

Nice talking to a friend. remember, friends are the tokens that pay our way into heaven and friends are also like diamonds, the more you have the greater your sparkle.

gratefully yours

message 7: by Dr (new)

Dr To Randomanthony

I forgot to mention, you can include me as a friend anytime you want. thanks again.

Below is the group I originally became part of here on Goodreads, but they usually don't offer much help either.

"New discussions from The Next Best Book Club and Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising"

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Um...thanks?

If I were you, I'd post 100 times about something besides your book, then talk about your book:) I understand your desire to push your book, and I appreciate you trying to find new ways to non-offensively do that, but I don't know if Terminal Coffee is the place for it...

message 9: by Dr (last edited Jan 26, 2009 10:57AM) (new)

Dr I am sure you are right and I will take your kind suggestion. thanks for your help

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
This author has better writing and grammar skills than most of the self-published ones I see on Goodreads, frankly.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to know how he managed to escape the spam control.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I love TC spam!

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
That was hilarious.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments It was. But it also gives a sense of how hard it is to interest anyone in anything that you've written. This guy wasn't as tactless as some, although clearly he was unsure of what he was doing or how to go about it. Reading over those old posts just now, I felt a little sorry for him.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Definitely. But there's the pity of "you're good, why doesn't anyone else recognize it?" and the pity of "you suck, please, just give up already." (I have no idea where this fellow falls.)

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments hello, Dr.McGinnis/Dr.Paradise. welcome to TC. I am not a writer except for rants in my personal journal. I am however an enthusiastic reader. Unfortunately, my local library (which includes 12 other libraries in my area) does not include your books. I checked. My reading wants are simple: a good story, a dash of adventure, a pinch of humor, a more or less happy ending and a clear,concise writing style, engaging characters.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.