Writing Writers discussion

Short Stories > Short Story Ideas

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) If you have any ideas or thoughts for short story contests, please post them here!

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Hmm...well here are some ideas that we could use as "prompts" that must be included in the story or inspired the story:

1). A common first sentence
2). A character name
3). A picture
4). A word/phrase
5). A song

Any other ideas? Do you think they should all be in the same genre or does it not matter? How long do you think we should call a short story? Max 5,000 words? I don't know!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The picture idea is a good one I thing it could really stimulate the imagination.

I picture stories to be at least 1000 words! 5000 would be amazing!

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Okay, I'm going to start a thread where everyone can post inspirational pictures and then we can vote on the one we'll use for the first contest.

Maybe it should be a 1000 min - 5000 max? That way it leave it open for those who want to write more and those who don't, as well as keeps it in a range that's manageable for the judge. ???

Do you think we should have just one judge or more? I'd be willing to be a judge.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

How about to so there is more fairness if you know what I mean, not saying I dont trust you or anyone but two would give everyone an equal chance.

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Yep, I agree with you! That way the two judges could discuss things as well. Anyone else willing to judge?

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Another idea would be, that we could all write a story (or those of us who want to) and then we could all vote in a poll (can't vote for your own, of course). Which way do you think would be better? Judges or poll?

message 8: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 2 comments Judges I'd say, but hey if people comment enough why not both?