Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Catalyst
This topic is about Catalyst
Speak Discussions > Catalyst-sequel

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Catalyst is a 2002 novel about a senior named Kate Malone. It can be regarded as a sequel to Speak, as it has the same setting in Merryweather High School and a cameo appearance by Melinda Sordino (the protagonist in Speak), and it takes place a year after the events in Speak.

Has anyone read this? What did you think, worth the read?

Anna I read both. I think it would be worth reading--in my case I read Catalyst first and then Speak. Reading the books in sequential order would probably be better as you could see the changes in Melinda.

message 3: by Court (last edited Jan 25, 2009 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Court | 0 comments Yeah, its worth the read. I've read both of them..but I wouldn't really consider it a sequel..more of like a companion novel? Because Melinda only appears like once..

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I didn't even realize they were companion novels. I'll have to read Catalyst now.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

What is the second book about? High school rape again, or drugs?

Court | 0 comments Angie wrote: "What is the second book about? High school rape again, or drugs? "

Catalyst is about:

"Chemistry honors student and cross-country runner Kate Malone is driven. Daughter of a father who is a reverend first and a parent second ("Rev. Dad [Version 4.7:] is a faulty operating system, incompatible with my software.") and a dead mother she tries not to remember, Kate has one goal: To escape them both by gaining entrance to her own holy temple, MIT. Eschewing sleep, she runs endlessly every night waiting for the sacred college acceptance letter. Then two disasters occur: Sullen classmate Teri and her younger brother, Mikey, take over Kate's room when their own house burns down, and a too-thin letter comes from MIT, signifying denial. And so the experiment begins. Can crude Teri and sweet Mikey, combined with the rejection letter, form the catalyst that will shake Kate out of her selfish tunnel vision and force her to deal with the suppressed pain of her mom's death? "If I could run all the time, life would be fine. As long as I keep moving, I'm in control." But for Kate, it's time to stop running and face the feelings she's spent her whole life racing away from.
Catalyst, Laurie Halse Anderson's third novel for teens, is a deftly fashioned character study of a seldom explored subject in YA fiction: the type-A adolescent. Teens will identify (if not exactly sympathize) with prickly Kate instantly, and be shocked or perhaps secretly pleased to discover that life is no easier for the honor roll student than it is for the outcast. Anderson earns an A plus for this revealing and realistic take on life, death, and GPAs."

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I read Catalyst before Speak, so I didn't know it was a companion novel. I think I liked Catalyst better, since the ending was so unexpected. I cried (and I almost never cry)! The 'minor' characters also were more realistic and developed.

Somehow, I didn't think Speak was the absolutely amazing novel that it was hyped to be. Anyone with me? or am I the bad egg?

message 8: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments I thought Speak was good but, like you said, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It dealt with relevent issues and had great potential. I just didn't like the end.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Well Speak was more of just telling a story rather then an exciting novel that I would read over and over again. I did think it was good for young adults to read once to maybe help them in high school or other places in life. But I would not read it twice.

message 10: by Kaycee (new)

Kaycee (kayceejoy) | 2 comments I never realized that Catalyst was involved with Speak. That's good to know!

♥Jenny♥ Angie wrote: "Catalyst is a 2002 novel about a senior named Kate Malone. It can be regarded as a sequel to Speak, as it has the same setting in Merryweather High School and a cameo appearance by Melinda Sordino ..."

Definitely worth the read. I liked the main character (which is a plus, but I didn't like her as much as Melinda-the main character of Speak), and the whole story to me was really good. I thought that what happened in the story was really unexpected. I almost cried when I realized what happened. These two books made me love Laurie Halse Anderson.

Nicolette (wildroses) | 2 comments I read both speak and catalyst. I liked reading Speak first, then Catalyst.

♥Jenny♥ Nicolette wrote: "I read both speak and catalyst. I liked reading Speak first, then Catalyst. "

Yup. Who's character did you like more, Kate or Melinda?

Stephanie I just read Speak for another YA group and I have Catalyst sitting on my shelf right now. After reading all of your postings, I am very excited to start it. I thought Speak was one of the best YA titles I have read yet, although I was disappointed with Prom. (Still good, but didn't pack the same punch.)

♥Jenny♥ Stephanie wrote: "I just read Speak for another YA group and I have Catalyst sitting on my shelf right now. After reading all of your postings, I am very excited to start it. I thought Speak was one of the best YA t..."

I'm not quite sure if I'll read prom. Laurie Halse Anderson my favorite writer though, so I might. I'm currently reading Wintergirls by her, and so far it's good.

message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I've heard a lot about Wintergirls! Sounds like a good book!

message 17: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments Angie wrote: "I've heard a lot about Wintergirls! Sounds like a good book! "

Angie, I thought Wintergirls was very good. It's well written and you really get a sense of what the main character feels. I found myself feeling sad and anxious reading it. It's a pretty dark book.

♥Jenny♥ Angie wrote: "I've heard a lot about Wintergirls! Sounds like a good book! "

It is a good book.

♥Jenny♥ Natalee wrote: "Angie wrote: "I've heard a lot about Wintergirls! Sounds like a good book! "

Angie, I thought Wintergirls was very good. It's well written and you really get a sense of what the main character f..."

It is, but it's still really awesome.

message 20: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments I agree, Jenny! She is a talented writer.

message 21: by Brookie (new)

Brookie | 17 comments Kritika wrote: "I read Catalyst before Speak, so I didn't know it was a companion novel. I think I liked Catalyst better, since the ending was so unexpected. I cried (and I almost never cry)! The 'minor' character..."

Totally agree with you, I was kinda bored reading it...

message 22: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden (gardenofedee) | 6 comments Wow I didn't realize there was a companion novel to Speak!! Speak is one of my all time favorite YA novels and I've read it so many times! I'll have to check out Catalyst for sure now!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually liked Catalyst a lot better than Speak and didn't consider it a sequel. The same thing with appearances like the one Melinda made in Catalyst happens in a lot of books (a lot of Sarah Dessen's books, too). An example is Remy and Dexter from This Lullaby making an appearance in Just Listen.