Horse Whisperers discussion

Book discussions > The Loop, Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments OK, what did you think about the relationship between Luke and Helen? I thought that in view of Luke being exceptionally mature, the relationship could work. If men can date younger, and often much younger, women, then women should be able to date younger men. 18 did seem a little young, as men that age aren't usually too mature, but I think Luke showed us that he was mature for his age. What do the rest of you think? What about long-term prospects for their realtionship?

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Do apply, so the story comes back to me in more detail!!!!:-)

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Helen is the wolf biologist brought in to help capture and tag the wolves. She had just turned 29, as was mentioned at the birthday lunch her father arranged in New York city where he introduced Helen to his new bride-to-be, who was younger than Helen. Luke is the son youngest son/child of the powerful rancher, Buck. Luke doesn't like hunting, wants to protect the wolves, and is far too sensitive for his father's tastes. Luke stutters, which just irritates his father more. Luke's mother is his only source of comfort in their home and life, until he meets Helen.

Does that help? I can give you some more if you like.

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
damned kathy, i had The divide in my head!!!!!! I was wondering why you were telling about The loop!!!:-)

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Jeane wrote: "damned kathy, i had The divide in my head!!!!!! I was wondering why you were telling about The loop!!!:-)

"

Oh, Jeane, I hope you've read The Loop, too. I'd hate to spoil anything for you.

message 6: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Don't worry Kathy, I read them the moment they are in the shop, The loop is my absolute favourite and maybe my favourite book of all read books.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Oh, good. It is such a great book that I'd hate to spoil it for anybody. So, Jeane, what about the question concerning Helen and Luke?

message 8: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
I finished it yesterday!
Wow.. couldn't sleep for the later half of the night properly. But, unlike Horse Whisperers, this one has such a happy ending that I felt happy that this was the first novel Evans wrote after HW. Loved every word of this book.
Regarding your question Kathy, I think its perfectly all right if a younger man loves an older woman, provided that both of them are mature enough. In this case of Luke and Helen, it was such a beautiful relationship that it seemed perfectly all right for them to date.

message 9: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

This one is for you Jeane..
"They saw no one they knew when they passed through the town. They turned east and headed toward the plains.
As they came over the bridge, Helen slowed the car and stopped and they both looked one last time toward the church above the river.
"Look", Luke said.
He was pointing at the sign on the other side of the road, the one that said HOPE (population 519). Three narrow beams of sunlight were shining through the bullet holes."

message 10: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Here's another one..
By now the pup was sniffing the meat. He nudged it with his nose and nipped it, pulling it along the ground. As he tugged, his mother saw the line move and she shied, as she might at a rattle snake. There was danger here, she now knew. And it was no snake. In a bound she was beside the pup.
But the meat was already in his mouth and he bit on it.

This part really moved me, clearly making the title "The Loop" befitting.

message 11: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

This one is about the wolfer..
He was so cold that he wasn't cold at all. In fact, a dreamy kind of peace was settling on him.... He had dealt in death all his days and thus had little fear of it. And at last when it came, there was no clamor or fanfare of pain, nor any vengeful recitation of his sins.
Instead in his reverie, he saw a baby's face, by the light of the candle staring at him...And in that moment, the shadow of his unknown mother leaned toward the candle flame and gently blew it out...

How does it sound?

message 12: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Kathy, what did you think about the relationship between Eleanor and Buck? Especially toward the end, when she kind of so easily accepts him back.

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
hehe, i feel so special now getting all those parts of you Atishay but Thaaaaanks. I remember how i felt reading the second one you posted...and I could feel it coming back again. This book mademe so tensed while reading it.

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "I finished it yesterday!
Wow.. couldn't sleep for the later half of the night properly. But, unlike Horse Whisperers, this one has such a happy ending that I felt happy that this was the first nove..."

You see Atishay, that is what I meant. It did go on for like the rest of the afternoon, evening and part of thenext day but.....I couldn't function well after finsihing it. I might have just sat in my room, stairing in front of me for a whole day...it would have been much easier and better. I was parallyzed.

message 15: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy, if both peole are at the same level of how mature, interests,....and so on I don't think age is important. Better being happy in a relationship and having a future with big age different than the contrary.

message 16: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
I shouldn't come here and read the posts...I jsut realized that one of my last thoughts before falling asleep yesterday evening must have been that I might buy The loop again so I have it with me and can reread it whenever I want. or do like when Iam home in Belgium, no and then pick it up and read some phrases....
And another thought must have been before falling asleep, that there are two books I feel like I always want with em like other people want to have their Bible with them. The loop and A Fortune-Teller Told Me Earthbound Travels in the Far East but my italian version. It has a hard cover and is in a kind of nice read. Those two are like me personal bibles.

message 17: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I perfectly get it Jeane. I carried Loop around with me even today. The same was with HW. I'm yearning now for The Brave and The Smoke Jumper :(

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I certainly agree with you both, Atishay and Jeane, concerning the relationship between Luke and Helen. It was just such a natural, beautiful coming together of two kindred spirits that age had nothing to do with it. I think Luke was one of those people born with an old soul, too.

Atishay, you asked about the relationship between Buck and Eleanor. Of course, it's easy to see why she stayed with him in view of wanting to protect Luke. I think Eleanor was an exceptional person who didn't waste a lot of time with anger and was generous with her compassion. Her acceptance of Buck in the end was just in character for her. She is the one from whom Luke inherited his beautiful nature.

The loop device was so horrible, so upsetting to me. I guess it was even more gruesome because it attacked the innocent young.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Another aspect I loved about this book was the redemptions of the wolfer and Buck. Evans was able to pull this off and the happy ending with Luke living without it seeming contrived or sappy.

I kept thinking maybe Luke was still alive, noticing that phrases like, "his death," "fatal shooting," "lost Luke" hadn't been used. I was so relieved when at last Luke appeared at the cabin at the end. Did you all think he was still alive, or had you written him off?

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Atishay wrote: "I perfectly get it Jeane. I carried Loop around with me even today. The same was with HW. I'm yearning now for The Brave and The Smoke Jumper :("

I hear you, Atishay. I just ordered The Smoke Jumper from Amazon. When is The Brave supposed to come out? I feel as strongly as you, Jeane, that I just wanted to sit and let The Loop flow over me after finishing it. I think I'd like to get a hardback copy of it, as it is definitely one of my favorite books of all time now.

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Atishay wrote: "I perfectly get it Jeane. I carried Loop around with me even today. The same was with HW. I'm yearning now for The Brave and The Smoke Jumper :("

I hear you, Atishay. I just order..."

Kathy, here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brave-Nichola...

that is for amazon uk

message 22: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Wow, I want to read Smoke Jumper so much right now..

Regarding the shooting of Luke, I'll admit it that for some precious lines, I had written him off, simply because I was instantly reminded of Horse Whisperer and what a tragic end it had. Of course, when Buck talks to Eleanor and mentions how sorry he felt he had shot Luke, I got the idea that Luke was alive.

So, you have officially become a Nicholas Evans fan now Kathy. Welcome to the crazy world!

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
hehe, great Kathy..just spread the word!!! :-)

I just watched a movie and you know what I was thinking? Will I try to fight it or just go and buy a second copy of The Loop....but sssshhhh don't let my boyfriend find out or anybody else. They already think I am crazy and if they would find out that this is what I think about while watching a movie and that I want to buy a book that I already have....

message 24: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Lolz

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Yep, Atishay, you and Jeane have definitely got another nut in your crazy Evans fan club. Thanks for the link, Jeane, to The Brave. I'm so glad that I still have The Smoke Jumper to read. I hate the waiting for a new book to come out from a favorite author. There are several that I am looking forward to this year, including Evans.

message 26: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

What other are you looking forward to Kathy?

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin (not out yet, out in March, March 19th)

The Last Dickens A Novel by Matthew Pearl (out in March 2009)

Long Lost by Harlan Coben (out in April 2009)

Silent On The Moor by Deanna Raybourn (Out March 1st , 2009)

The Associate by John Grisham (I think it's out this week, maybe)

Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin The Last Dickens A Novel by Matthew Pearl Long Lost by Harlan Coben Silent On The Moor by Deanna Raybourn The Associate by John Grisham

The Ariana Franklin book is the one I'm the most excited about, followed closely by the Matthew Pear and Deanna Raybourn ones. Of course, The Brave rates up there with the Franklin book.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I just noticed what a cheesy cover the Deanna Raybourn book, Silent on the Moor, has. I'm not sure how they arrived at this cover. The book is the third in a series of a Victorian mystery series, which I am thus far enjoying. I'm not really a fan of romance lit, and this cover makes this mystery book look like a romance one. Ugh.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Crap, I forgot to add to the books I'm waiting for this year that another Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book in that series by Laurie R. King is supposed to come out this year, or so I've read somewhere. I can't find the title or information right now, but I'm hoping that the rumors are true. I've been waiting since 2005.

message 30: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I read The Dante Club by Mathew Pearl and it was pretty good. Is this his second one?

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Atishay wrote: "I read The Dante Club by Mathew Pearl and it was pretty good. Is this his second one?"

No, The Last Dickens is his third novel. The second one was The Poe Shadow, which I enjoyed because I love all things Poe. However, I think The Dante Club was actually a better book than The Poe Shadow. I really enjoy the literary novels.

message 32: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah, Dante Club was so different from other novels.