Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Julie's Flight to 50 and Beyond (2009)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Julie (last edited Feb 09, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Howdy! I'm ready to read 50 books for 2009!

I have read 2 so far: The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle A Novel by David Wroblewski by David Wroblewski.

Both books, though interesting, are very melancholy and depressing. The Road does not go too into depth with its main characters - it is more about the struggle to survive in a post-apocalyptic Earth.
Edgar Sawtelle has stronger characters and nifty dogs, but ends up being one crisis after another - heartbreaking. I cried several times and skimmed a lot of it.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, so this was a nice little book to go down "memory lane." Reading 'Dumbledore's' viewpoints on each tale was like listening to an old, familiar friend. Very cute!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer Eoin Colfer This was a great, quick read...likeable characters and good vs. "bad" action. Great for lovers of the Artemis Fowl series!!

message 4: by Julie (last edited Mar 03, 2009 03:32PM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments I read Devil May Cry Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #19) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon in two days time. It was a quick, exciting read with interesting characters mixed with Greek gods and nighttime creatures.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Ill Wind (Weather Warden, Book 1) by Rachel Caine by Rachel Cain...

Nifty series based on "Weather Wardens" who help control Mother Nature with magic and the power of djinns. Very sassy female lead with twists and turns along the way. Enjoyable, will probably try the 2nd book.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris: I loved this book and currently find myself diving eagerly thru the 2nd, "Living Dead in Dallas." The quirky, telepathic lead character, Sookie Stackhouse has a witty, sarcastic personality and ends up involved with a vampire boyfriend, among other supernaturals. Funny, exciting, and just dandy!!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 2) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris....Loved this 2nd book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. The mysteries and adventures continue with crazy Vampire happenings and Sookie trying to sort it all out. Eric is definitely growing on me, and I'm liking Bill a little bit less -- he's a bit preoccupied and possessive about what Sookie wears and stuff. Maybe that's just a Vamp thing, but I'm liking Eric's sly wit and flirting.

message 8: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments it's good to hear the second book is good - I read the first and really enjoyed it. The series is good, but not as much as the books. Just waiting on my kindle to come in (as I have the rest of them in PDF format).

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 3) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris, #3 in Sookie Stackhouse series.

The action continues in #3 and I really enjoyed this fast-paced read. Sookie starts to be on the outs with Bill through some of his choices...but she gets to interact with a hottie werewolf (that I wish she actually hooked up with! He must be too perfect or something crazy like that) and with Eric - a lot (whom I really enjoy - he's got a better sense of humor than most vamps). Sookie goes on a crazy rescue mission for Bill and unfortunately, ends up getting beat up several times. Total craziness. I am ready to read the 4th one!!

message 10: by Julie (last edited Feb 26, 2009 07:17AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 4) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the Worldby Charlaine Harris, #4 in Sookie Stackhouse series.

I really loved this one! Bill is pretty much out of the picture, while Eric (with cursed "amnesia") must stay with Sookie until things with the witches, vamps, and weres get sorted out. Plus, Sookie's brother, Jason, has gone missing. Figuring out about the "evil" witches and the whereabouts of Jason, along with resisting/yielding to the temptation of hottie vamp, Eric, make this one fun read!!

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Dream Warrior (Dark-Hunter, #25 and/or Dream-Hunters, Book #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

While I did enjoy this book...most of the plot is similar to her other book (of many), Sin of the Night. The plot did fizzle out towards the end, with characters just him-hawing around, and not really doing much. I'm going to try one of Kenyon's first books in the Dark Hunter series and see how that goes.

message 12: by Julie (last edited Feb 23, 2009 01:56PM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Shipwrecks and Lost Treasures Outer Banks Legends and Lore, Pirates and More! by Bob Brooke

I skimmed through several of this book's chapters. It is well written in a brief, concise manner, being informative without getting too technical. It is written somewhat in the manner of storytelling, rather than just facts, facts, facts. The doomed voyages were tragically portrayed, as well they should be.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon:

Despite the super sappy cliches rampant throughout the book, I enjoyed this story and its characters much more than the other 2 Dark Hunter books I've read. It was one of her first for the series, and it seemed more inventive than the others. The basic plot/storyline between a male and a female drooling over each other and trying to save themselves or the world apparently helped get its start with this book.

message 14: by Julie (last edited Feb 26, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Bite by Laurell K. Hamilton by Laurell K. Hamilton, MaryJanice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Angela Knight, and Vickie Taylor

This was a great find (thanks to reading several reviews of Charlaine Harris's 6th Sookie Stackhouse book), I took everybody's advice and read up on Sookie's cousin, Hadley. Harris's story was the only one that did NOT involve lusty sex...it was cute though. The other short stories were pretty good, especially Hamilton's. Funny, sexy, interesting stories...I had some eyerolling going on, but it definitely kept me turning the pages.

message 15: by Julie (last edited Mar 03, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 5) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris.

The 5th book is just as fun as the rest of the series! It's filled with fast-paced mystery, action, and a few new characters. Really enjoyed it! There is definitely a lot going on for Sookie and her connections to the Supernatural world...this is a must-read-in-order series, for sure, to lessen the confusion.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments [image error] by Maggie Stiefvater

I finally finished this book. It took me awhile to get into it and it was tough to keep coming back to because I was reading other books that appealed to me a bit more. This was an interesting story, with a different look at the faerie world and its connection to musically gifted humans. And yes, Luke Dillon, the hottie male lead does remind me of the brooding, hottie Edward from Twilight, etc. Both characters have that: "I love you, but you shouldn't love me...because I can hurt you or even kill you...but maybe let's just tempt each other anyways" vibe going on. I do look forward to trying the 2nd book when it comes out this fall. I am curious to see/read more about James, Deidre's best friend, and if those 2 can ever love each other.

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 6) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse Book 6

I continue to love this series!! Reading "Bite," the vampire anthology that includes a short story about Sookie's cousin Hadley and her death as a turned vampire, provided some clarity and background info. before devouring up this installment. I like Quinn, but hoped to see him more (new love interest), and missed the humorously tense presence of Eric, my fav. vampire. I was also kind of bummed that Alcide is unfairly on-the-outs with Sookie, but Quinn is a refreshing change from the regular callers. I am glad that Sookie continues to distance herself from Bill, because even though I do like Bill's character, he has hurt Sookie too deeply emotion-wise. Sookie, herself, seems to be maturing more in the ways of and solve-the-mystery tendencies that envelope her world with the Supernatural beings she encounters.

message 18: by Julie (last edited Aug 13, 2009 07:42AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments [image error] by D.J. McHale

This was an enjoyable youth fantasy/sci-fi novel with time/space travel and adventures of good vs. bad. I enjoyed the characters and plot, but I may not continue the series...it's a great series for young adult/juvenile boys. It's in more of a journalistic form and it swings back to Bobby's world for his friends' reactions - which kind of slows the plot down a bit.

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 7) by Charlaine Harris Book 7 of the Sookie Stackhouse Series - by Charlaine Harris

Great read! Almost the entire novel takes place at a Vampire "Summit," conference-type thing in a Vamp. hotel. Sookie, Quinn, Eric, and the Queen of Louisiana (Sophie Anne) become deeply involved with an intricate, complex web of mysteries, murder, and a little mayhem. Very catchy, but details pertaining to the Queen's most loyal vamp, Andre, could have used a little more clarification.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, Book 1) by Jasper Fforde by Jasper Fforde

I was really hoping to get into this book because I loved the way the plot and main character, Thursday Next, sounded. Unfortunately, I could not get into the story...I tried for about 12 chapters and skimmed through the rest quickly. It was a little dry, a little forced for the literary cliches, and a little too assuming (maybe for super duper literature scholars, it would be better). I just wasn't getting hooked. Bummer!

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments [image error] by Charlaine Harris, Book #8 of the Sookie Stackhouse Series

Another enjoyable glimpse into the wild and witty world of Sookie Stackhouse and her fellow supernatural beings. This installment didn't seem to flow quite as smoothly as the others, for me, and 2 major events happened that were kind of glossed over neatly, without much ado or details. I'm still excited about the series and love the characters. Can't wait for her new one, Dead and Gone!!

message 22: by Julie (last edited Mar 20, 2009 08:46AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments A Great and Terrible Beauty (The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Book 1) by Libba Bray by Libba Bray, Book 1 of the Gemma Doyle Trilogy

Gemma Doyle is a fiery teenage girl, discovering the use and existence of her own powerful magic. She travels to dream-like realms with a few girls she meets at Spence Academy (for ladies). Gemma does have a few teenage hissy fits, but mostly shows maturity, strength, and determination, as well as compassion among her newly established circle of friends. Very likeable characters and mysterious, sometimes witty, sometimes suspenseful plot. Enjoyable! I will probably read the next book to see how Gemma continues to fair in her newly magical state.

message 23: by Julie (last edited Mar 20, 2009 08:49AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Stravaganza City of Stars (Stravaganza Book 2) by Mary Hoffman by Mary Hoffman,
Book 2 of Stravaganza Series

Hoffman's amiable characters and partly imaginary, but realistically similar settings,provide an enjoyable read...though the flow is rather choppy, jumping back and forth of mini plots between various characters - which, basically, all tie up together in the end. I may pursue the 3rd installment in this series, because I am kind of attached to Luciano, Georgia, Arianna, and the rest of the characters in the stories.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Morrigan's Cross (Circle trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts by Nora Roberts, Book 1 of the Circle Trilogy

Enjoyable read...filled with Ireland, time travel, vampires, and magic. May or may not continue through the trilogy. Pretty predictable, but fun.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Dance of the Gods (Circle trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts , book 2 of the Circle Trilogy

I mostly skimmed through this book because of its predictability, but I enjoy the characters and of course, love the Ireland connections. I'm moving onto the 3rd book to see how it all turns out.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Rebel Angels (The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Book 2) by Libba Bray by Libba Bray, Book 2 of the Gemma Doyle Trilogy

I loved this book! It was more interesting and suspenseful than the first, and developed the characters' personalities even more. Gemma is a great female lead role!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Plum Spooky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #4) by Janet Evanovich by Janet Evanovich, a Between-the-Numbers Stephanie Plum novel...

Laughed out loud at the crazy character antics and was caught up in figuring out the mystery...Stephanie and Lula are a riot. The mystery itself petered out a bit towards the end, but still enjoyable overall. I recommend reading other Plum books before this one to fully appreciate the humor and personalities of Evanovich's characters.

message 28: by Julie (last edited Apr 21, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan, Book 1 of the Olympians Series

A quick, clever read (somewhat predictable from several angles - but this did not take away from the story)...interesting correlation between the Greek Gods of old and the half-blood "demigod" children of new. Enjoyable characters - I was rooting for Percy Jackson all the way. I've already checked out #2!

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson by N.D. Wilson, book 1

Clever ideas and kooky characters combine to make this a mysterious, imaginative, fun read. The writing style was different for me and difficult to get into, at first, but the mystery of the cupboards, Henry, and the travel between worlds kept me reading. Enjoyable, but I probably won't pursue the follow-up books.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Book 1) by Laurell K. Hamilton by Laurell K. Hamilton, 1st in Anita Blake series

I read through a little less than half of this book, then lost interest and returned it to our library. I enjoy Charlaine Harris's Sookie series much more...as those have more humor and mystery wrapped up together. Hamilton's were a bit dark and yuck for me. But likeable characters overall.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan, #2 in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

A great follow-up to the first book!! Exciting!

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan, book 3

Another fast-paced adventure...I just love Percy!

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4) by Rick Riordan , by Rick Riordan, Book 4

An exciting, humorous, and heartfelt tale of adventure, once again. The quest itself through the maze is the heart of the story...the battle near the end is a bit abrupt, but does not take away from the story. I'm worried about Percy and Annabeth's friendship/relationship...growing somewhat distant near the end...plus Percy seems to have a crush on the mortal girl, Rachel Dare. I wonder if he'll get a chance at love and life in the next book...due out in just a few days!

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments [image error] by Charlaine Harris!!

Started out a little slow, had a lot of summarizing past events and characters...then picked up and got more and more suspenseful and exciting. Still lovin' this series!!

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Seems The Split Second Book 2 (The Seems) by John Hulme by John Hulme, 2nd book of The Seems

Started out a little slow, but then quickly picked up pace and the pieces of the plot were very neatly choreographed together by the story's end. Great sequel!

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Sweet Far Thing (The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Book 3) by Libba Bray by Libba Bray, 3rd in the Gemma Doyle Saga

While interesting and exciting, I skimmed through some parts of the story because it was a little roundabout in some parts. The big climatic event near the end is suspenseful and heart-wrenching...I was yelling, "Nooooo!" right along with the main character. I'm not sure if there are anymore after this one, but I hope there might be in the future 'cuz I want a happier ending, dang it. I like how Gemma and her friends started turning their lives around and becoming more independent - a rarity for their time period.

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Sisters Grimm Book Seven The Everafter War (Sisters Grimm) by Michael Buckley by Michael Buckley, Book 7

Very exciting! I continue to LOVE this series. I was somewhat disappointed in the last one, but this puts the series right back in the super-fun, enjoyable, keeps-u-guessing level. It was a really quick read -- and now I'll have to wait for a long time again until Buckley does the next one!

message 38: by Julie (last edited May 21, 2009 08:36AM) (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan

Enjoyable read...didn't realize it was supposed to be about zombies, but it worked well with the story. Suspenseful, emotional, with similarities to post-apocalyptic and dystopian novels like The Giver (Lois Lowry) and The Road (Cormac McCarthy). The ending built up, up, up and then kind of fizzled out...like the author wasn't sure where to finish it off. A couple loose ends were left swaying in the breeze, and it almost seemed like the whole escapade was for naught. Mary still had hope in the end but I was left thinking well, that was kinda depressing.

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare by Cassandra Clare, Book 1 of The Mortal Instruments series

This turned out to be a really exciting, fun read. The characters were very likeable and the plot, though slightly predictable in some aspects, was twisted enough to keep ya thinking and predicting ahead. I look forward to reading the second book!

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 5) by Rick Riordan , Book 5 of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, by Rick Riordan

Supposedly the last of the series (bummer!), this book ties things up nicely with excitement, suspense, and a little bit of humor. Loved it!

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Evermore (The Immortals, Book 1) by Alyson Noel

Not bad...but I was continuously cringing over the blatant similarities to Twilight and Sookie Stackhouse books...even a little twinge of Harry Potter. Very unoriginal and some phrases practically copied right out of Twilight. If you have not read Twilight, etc., then this book may be more enjoyable.

message 42: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare , book 2 of the Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare

Awesome follow up to the first catchy book (City of Bones). I can't get enough of these characters! Full of action, emotion (I even got a little teary-eyed in some parts!), and [some:] humor, I was ready to reread this book as soon as I finished it. Can't wait for the 3rd and final book!!

message 43: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher by Chris Crutcher

All I can say is, "Wow. Wow, wow, wow." I loved this story...full of humor (beautifully told through the view of the 17 year old male lead, Eric) and heart-wrenching emotion. The high school students in focus seemed a bit out of this world with their thinking and beliefs out there for all to debate, but it was great to read about them and hope that there may really still be teenagers similar to them. I absolutely loved this story and read the book in one night. Eric and Sarah Brynes, along their associating friends, family, and foes, grab a hold of your heart and mind....I thought about the story long into the night as I tried to fall asleep. Wonderful story.

message 44: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare , Book 3 in the Mortal Instruments Trilogy, by Cassandra Clare

I love this whole trilogy. It's definitely one I'd like to reread...especially since I read through the books so quickly to find out what happened next, that I am sure I overlooked some of the more descriptive details. This last book was just as exciting, emotional, and crazy good as the others. I'm sorry that this was the last book!! I wanted it to keep going!

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Book 1 in the House of Night series, by the Cast ladies

Interesting take on vampirism with the whole "marking" system. Love the idea of a known vampire "finishing school." Enjoyable read with likeable characters and conflicts. Will continue onto the next book.

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Book 1, by Suzanne Collins
This book really surprised me. Visual culture that we are, the cover was unappealing (I know, don't judge by that) and the title didn't catch my attention too much either. BUT, the story won me over big time. I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Exciting, suspenseful, and emotional, this not-so-faraway futurized novel puts characters in mortal danger and moral dilemmas. Awesome read and look forward to the 2nd one!!

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) I finished this last week....what a page turner! Considering how much our society likes reality t.v. like Survivor, the Hunger Games is frighteningly believable.

message 48: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 3) by Michael Scott , Book 3 of the "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel" series by Michael Scott

Loved the first 2 books and loved this one, too!! The exciting adventure and expansion of the twin's powers makes for a quick, scrumptious read. Can't wait for the next one!!

message 49: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Betrayed (House of Night, #2) by P.C. Cast , 2nd House of Night novel by P.C. & Kristin Cast

Entertaining, quick lil' read...overkill on all the teen-ish lingo/conversations and the endless, inner monologue of lead character, Zoey. There are pieces of the plot with which I am still interested in, but I def. skimmed a lot of the book. I want to know how things go down between Zoey and Neferet, if Zoey's mom will ever come back into good graces with her daughter, and what the devil will happen to Zoey's best friend, Stevie Rae. I'm curious enough to give the next book a try for the plight of the likeable characters, but may not continue through the rest of the series due to some obnoxiousness with the writing style.

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson , Book 1 of the Queen Betsy series, by Mary Janice Davidson

Ok, I get a kick out of most vampire novels and series, but this one def. had me laughing out loud. Betsy is a sassy, though air-headed, smartass chick who loves designer shoes and her friends. Her flippant reactions and personality towards the oh-so-serious vampires poke fresh fun at the fantasy world of vampires and the undead. Ready for the next one!

« previous 1 3