SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > Month-Long Critical Analysis of Twilight

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ina (new)

Ina (inacentaur) | 5 comments Would anyone be interested in joining in an online month-long critical analysis / discussion of Twilight Book 1?

The main discussion will be held in sLiterary, Second Life in February - but we're trying to figure out the best time to hold these discussions.

So far, the plan goes like this:
28 days in Feb, 24 chapters in Book 1
A chapter a day for 24 days on Mon thru Sat (tentatively 7 pm PST?).
Sunday's are open discussion, or a recap of the past 6 chapters of the week (tentatively 3 pm PST?)

Possible topics include literary techniques used in Twilight and Twilight in the literary context - but we plan to keep this open and informal. (And, eventually the rest of the series.)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Twilight used literary technique and had literary context? I found it a quick fun read - entertaining mind-candy - but didn't really see any literary merit in this work.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) The technique of telling it from the teenage girl's POV was what killed it for me. Otherwise, it wasn't a bad story. She also had new take on vampires. I don't think I could spend a month discussing it though. It didn't have enough depth for that, IMO.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 342 comments I enjoyed the book but I also don't know about a month long discussion. Maybe post this in some Twilight groups (there are plenty) and I am sure you will find someone to join!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Robin wrote: "Twilight used literary technique and had literary context? I found it a quick fun read - entertaining mind-candy - but didn't really see any literary merit in this work."

I have to agree. Meyer hit a homerun with the best mix of bad boy/prince charming I've ever seen and I also liked her new take on vampires but I'm not sure there is that much to discuss about literary technique.