The Dark Mythology discussion

Who's adding books to the book self?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) When I think of some that are applicable, I will.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) I just had a bit of fun with it...

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) I added a few books if thats okay. I placed them in the werewolves folder but its more like shapeshifters.. its a trilogy by Alice Borchardt . . . she is Anne Rice's sister but while Anne is know for her vampires Alice choose my preference wolves..

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Leah, thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good. I added it.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) I really enjoyed them because they span a large part of history and of course shapeshifters that turn into wolfs.. ^_^

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I am definitely becoming more interested in shifters. So any recommendations in that area will be well recieved!

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) anyone here read anything by Patricia Briggs? A friend of mine read one of her books called Moon Called and I was just wondering about any feed back on it? I'm planning to check it out but I was wondering if anyone else has read it?

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I really enjoyed Moon Called and the other two books in the series. A fourth is due out soon. The books lean towards paranormal romance but the real reason I enjoyed them is the detail involving the wolf pack relations, with the Alpha wolves and rogues and such. Very interesting and a big reason I am becoming more curious about weres and shifters. These books are also really good for anyone interested in the Fae. The Fae are in the third book, with the second book great for vampire fans. I love books where different creatures or mythologies are present. Kim Harrison has an excellent series, with less romance, and even more creatures. I love the fairies and pixies in her books.

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) Oo I will def have to look into Kim Harrison then as well I just found out my library has Moon Called so I'm going to go browse tomorrow thanks for the input!

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Have fun! Tell me what you think. And Briggs series gets better with each book in my opinion.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments I hoped I got it right--added Northern Haunts: 100 Terrifying New England Tales. I got a story in it, but it has some great other authors and their stories in it. Flash fiction tales based on legends and myths of New England.

message 12: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
Leah wrote: "anyone here read anything by Patricia Briggs? A friend of mine read one of her books called [b:Moon Called|71811|..."

I think those books are great. They are well written and get you engaged with the story all along. In fact, I have all of her books and like them all. The Mercy Thompson series is one of my favorites, right along with Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series.

The fourth book in the Mercy Thompson series was just released in hardcover, BTW.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Oh, I'm trying to get my hands on Bone Crossed. I'm really excited to read it. And I'm on book 1 of the Weather Warden series. I'm a little frustrated with it. I feel like I started the book missing the first half, the author is not letting any facts out.

message 14: by Brett (new)

Yes, the series starts a bit slow on the facts. The author really tries to get the reader involved and it gets really good as you go.
She just announced that the 9th book will be the last in the Weather Warden series and she just released a new novel that is based in the same world but different characters, which is cool.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Wow. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I thought there were only 3 or 4 in the series. And I'll probably like them all enough that I'll have to find each one. I'm in the middle of too many series. I love series, but I think I've gone a little crazy. Does anyone have recommendations for stand alone books?

message 16: by Brett (new)

In what genre(s)? Similar to these series or are there others you like as well or better?

message 17: by Brett (new)

It seems that Dark Fantasy lends itself to series quite easily and most good ones are trilogies at the least. Here are a few single novels that I have liked. You might take a look and let us know what you think.

Arcady by Michael Williams
Blood Angel by Justine Musk
Angel Cafe by Jill Morrow
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Moongazer by Marianne Mancusi

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Thank you Brett! I'll read anything, like to switch up my reading every once in awhile. I only have Sunshine on my TBR and I'll check out the others.

message 19: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Hey Kathryn,

Peter S. Beagle has some amazing stand alone books.
Start with "The Last Unicorn" which is on my top five favorite books list.
Then there is "Tamsin" and "A Fine and Private Place," both ghost stories but not connected in any way.
He is also the author of my all time favorite short story, "Come Lady Death."

message 20: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I found "Come Lady Death" in a book of Beagle's collected works, but I dont recall the title. The story is well worth the read if you can get ahold of it.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I really enjoyed the last unicorn, though its been awhile and I wouldn't mind reading it again. I'll look into the others. Thanks Josh!

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Brett, what is Arcady about? There were no reviews and no description. And the others sound good!

message 23: by Brett (new)

It's a different kind of story. I would call it more fantasy but there is a lot woven into it. Some sci-fi, horror and a good dose of ecology.
It's also not the easiest to read. The author gets quite deep at times and you have to really pay attention. But it is well worth the work, IMO.
Here is a bit about it.

Arcady lies on the Borders, with their ancient ruins and wondrous artifacts. But the Hawken family, owners of the magnificent house and its plantations, know how perilous they can be. Those who venture too close to the Borders risk disappearing forever into the Absences, voids where the fabric of reality unravels. And sometimes, as now, the Absences approach the grounds of Arcady and threaten its very existence.

message 24: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
does sound good

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Ooo, thanks Brett, sounds good!

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) did you have the 28th off?

I've had every day off since Sept. 11th. Still looking for work.

message 27: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (spooky_sez) I just added Dracula's Diary. It's pretty funny!

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) well if you have to relocate buddy, you just feel free to check out Seattle!"

I have to stay close to Cleveland (divorced, non-custodial parent) for at least the next five years. I'm looking in Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, etc. Most of my interviews have been coming from the Louisville area, so I figure I'll probably end up there. Waiting to hear about one now...

message 29: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) Brett wrote: "Leah wrote: "anyone here read anything by Patricia Briggs? A friend of mine read one of her books called [b:Moon ..."

Being sick sucks when you have no access to a computer.. thats good to know! I am going to the library tomorrow to pick up Moon Called.. I had to reserve it because they only had one copy and it was checked out.. boo.. haha.. I'm looking forward to reading it.. I'll have to look at the Weather Warden Series.. i'm always looking for more books to read!

message 30: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) It took me 2 days to read Moon Called.. I'm on to Blood Bound now and I just put a hold on the fourth book from the series at my library..

message 31: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) question! I didn't feel like opening a new thread for this.. anyone read The Iron Hunt? someone at work just handed me the book and said I have to read it..

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) >anyone read The Iron Hunt?<

No, but I read another of Liu's last year (Tiger Eye) and was really pleasantly surprised-- fantasy/romance mixes tend to be WAY too heavy on one side or the other for me, but it was really well-balanced.

message 33: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Liu is a romance writer by trade, she's just started getting into the paranormal aspect of it. IMO, she does it better than a lot of, shall we say, more famous authors (*cough*Charlaine Harris*cough*) I could mention.

I've been... not around. Too many things sucking up my time. I'm about two months behind posting reviews here. So, um, brace yourself for the next time I update, I'll have over 100...

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) thanks for the info.. We have a kind of library here in our break room people leave books there that they don't need to share with other people and one of the girls who works with me and knows I read a lot read it.. she gave it to me saying I might like it.. she told me the first line starts with something about the main character being lost in a card game to Zombies.. heh

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) >she told me the first line starts with something about the main character being lost in a card game to Zombies.. heh <

Okay, that just went on my list pronto...

message 36: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) hahaha.. exactly why i took it home and stuck on my pile of books I need to read

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited May 14, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

I did added books