The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

MATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT (theawesomecatperson) | 2 comments If I am reading a really good book, it could be 500. But if it isn't so good, maybe 100 or so.

I recorded the number of pages I read during the summer. =] 10,346

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do they need to be pages of a novel, or do the news and magazines count? I am going to tally today, and see if I surprise myself.

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay, but just keep in mind, I will have read lots more pages, just not BOOK pages!!!!!! I don't want to appear lazy;)

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's only 12 for me, but I have yet to have a break so I can actually READ!!!! I am going to read my entire luch hour. I swear it! I will not let that damn Mr. Norrell beat me!!!!!

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Maybe I could "drop" the book on the way to my car after work, "not realize it", and... alas it's lost! I wont be able to finish. So sorry! And yes, it's HUGE!

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You're right, and I may give up if lunch, (uninterupted reading) doesn't make me want to continue. I just feel like such a failure. I wanted to participate in the discussion! *stomps feet, balls fists*

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I admire your persistence Kandice. :-)
I made it up to page 6 when I started snoozing off. That was the beginning of January. Haven't picked it up since.

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh thank you Jackie! That feels like permission. Fiona already gave hers :) so now... the motion has carried!!!!!
Now I have to choose another. I have quite a few waiting, but it wont be hard to find something better.

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) A group of us are starting Outlander next week I believe. You're more than welcome to join in.

I couldn't take the slowness and footnotes. I don't want to waste my time with something I don't enjoy. I already do stuff I don't enjoy like homework and things for work. LOL. I can't let unhappiness slip into my reading.

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'll look for both. I usually like long books better than short ones. You get mroe attached to the characters, but not in this case! If I find yours, Fiona, I'll let you know.
Jackie, if I find yours, I would really like discussing it with you guys. Thanks.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice ALWAYS set attainable goals! I tell my kids that all the time. If you set yourself up for failure, you fail, and you FEEL like a failure. Set attainable goals, you suceed, and you feel like a success. (you are!)*bows* That was my speech for the day!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I don't know my average, but when I start a book I typically count the chapters and then figure out when I want to finish it. If there are no chapters or they are not numbered, I usually count the pages again.

message 13: by Jessica (last edited Jan 21, 2009 06:25PM) (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I like to read at least 30 pages a day which is almost always fairly easy to do. Thus far today, I have read 62 pages.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yesterday- 69. What a difference reading something you WANT to read makes! The Road

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yesterday, I read 340 pages.
119 finishing up Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel (Very good!)
221 Starting The Runaway Jury (I love John Grisham when he writes legal thrillers!)

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yesterday I read 168. I ALSO read 3 stories in Ellery Queen, but you said they don't count!

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maybe you could count them separately Kandice...

I just went through and counted the number of pages I read in 2009 so far, including what I've read so far of The Runaway Jury, I'm up to 2916 pages for January.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do you like the Runaway Jury? I thought it was one of his best!

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I am enjoying it so far, but my favorite is still "A Time To Kill".

I love John Grisham though, his novels are always fast-paced, and keep me on the edge of my seat. And I love that they are set in the south! I grew up in the south, and the way that he describes it reminds me of home...

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A Time To Kill is my favorite too! When I first read it, I thouht it would never be translated to film, but when it finally was, it was terrific! Samuel L. Jackson was perfect. I think John Cusak is perfect as Easter too. I'm not so sure about Rachel Weisz (sp)

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Haha... I rarely notice the size of the author's name. On my copy, the name is the same size as the title - title at the top, then a photo of an empty jury box, then the author's name at the bottom.

If you ever do read a Grisham novel, Fiona, start with "A Time to Kill". It makes my heart hurt, but it's such a great book. Another really good one is "The Rainmaker".

I have a bunch of Grisham books here (I got a ton of them at the thrift store for like 50 cents each!)

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Becky is right. A Time to Kill is his best. I really like the Firm too for suspense. It's such a great ending! I have almost all of his books, and they are some of the only books my non-reading husband will read.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was just at Wal-Mart and while Thomas was waiting in line I slipped over to look at the books... I couldn't help it... I didn't buy anything (Yay willpower!) but they had a whole bunch of Grisham novels that I want!

And then Thomas is like, "Just buy one, what does it matter? It's only one book, and if you REALLY NEED IT..."

He's a terrible influence. (And he doesn't even read!)

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Today-50 pages. That was the end of the Road. The saddest, most depressing thing I have ever read. :(

message 25: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "You're right, and I may give up if lunch, (uninterupted reading) doesn't make me want to continue. I just feel like such a failure. I wanted to participate in the discussion! *stomps feet, balls fi..."

Bleitbleit. kandice you should have kept reading it and take it to lunch. I would have thought every day, hehe in some hours time she will be reading it too during her lunch!!!

message 26: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Becky wrote: "I was just at Wal-Mart and while Thomas was waiting in line I slipped over to look at the books... I couldn't help it... I didn't buy anything (Yay willpower!) but they had a whole bunch of Grisham..."

Normally you want them to say that and they don't. And then for once you don't want it and they come up telling that!!!!

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I KNOW! Grr... Any other time he'd be ranting about how many unread books are cluttering the house, but NO! Now he wants to tempt me. >:(

I read 329 pgs yesterday, by the way. I'm up to 3245 pages for the month.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) If I keep reading at this manic pace, then I will be able to buy new books sooner. ;)

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Fiona wrote: "That's a great idea! Trouble is remembering to eat whilst reading. "

Uh huh.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I read 108 pages yesterday! Go me!

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Fiona-Please watch one of the original CSI's. I so want you to see Gil Grissom!!!

I read 79 pages of the Jane Austen Book club today. So much nicer than The Road. I felt on the verge of tears the whole time I was reading that! This is like candy.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice - Have you officially given up on Jonathan Strange? How far did you get? (I have to confess, I loved this book, but I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, so I just kept laughing until the last 200 or so pages, when the tension got pretty steep.)

I just found this thread, since I'm a CPA/tax preparer w/my own business, so I really have to work, LOL. Anyway, I wish I had more time during the week for GR during tax season, but I have very little. And w/the time I do have, I want to be reading. Great thread Fiona!

I read 110 pp. yesterday, but only because I wanted to finally be DONE with that Ghost at Work. Usually I'm lucky to read 50. I seem to average 30 on work nights. But I think Fiona's 50 is a good goal.

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I read about 200 yesterday. I was actually hoping to finish "Where The Heart Is" in one sitting, but I was too exhausted. :(

Good book so far. This is my second Billie Letts book (I loved "The Honk And Holler Opening Soon") and I am really enjoying it, but she has a weird way with names. It almost seems like the more unusual the name, the better the character is. *shrug*

message 34: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Laura wrote: "Kandice - Have you officially given up on Jonathan Strange? How far did you get? (I have to confess, I loved this book, but I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, so I just kept laughing until t..."

I only got about 100 pages in. I may try again, because it really seems as if I SHOULD like it. Someone mentioned the audio is awesome, so if I could find that at a good price, I would love to try that.

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Becky wrote: "I read about 200 yesterday. I was actually hoping to finish "Where The Heart Is" in one sitting, but I was too exhausted. :(

Good book so far. This is my second Billie Letts book (I loved "The H..."

My hick family has quite a way with names ( I was lucky ), so that's one of the things I love about her books. I think you are right. The more quirky the name, the more interesting the charcater. I like Honk and Holler too!

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice - you can try getting it from your library - the Jon. Strange audiobook - that's how I did it. It came in two parts tho, due to its length.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

It depends on what type of day I'm having, but I can probably read about 100 pages a day if I'm really in tuned with the book I'm reading.

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Laura wrote: "Kandice - you can try getting it from your library - the Jon. Strange audiobook - that's how I did it. It came in two parts tho, due to its length."

I live in San Diego, so we have an excellent library system. The problem is, the closest library to me, actually on my block, is tiny. It's smaller than my house minus the bedrooms! It also has very short hours, so I am at work during their hours except Saturday, and then I am usually at soccer or whatever. I really need to make more of an effort. I remember from when I didn't work that they will order pretty much anything for you. I had forgotten they even had audios. Thanks for the reminder. (note to self;)Maybe NEXT Saturday!

message 39: by Kandice (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Kandice 209 pages. I finished the Jane Austen Book club. I am going to squeeze Watchmen in (again) before we start Outlander.

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Not much today... around 75 I think. But my taxes are all done, so that's good!

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 160 yesterday! For me, that was terrific. I really like this thread Fiona. This group has a way of making me read more and more and I couldn't be happier about it.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 72 pages for me yesterday.

And I like how it's me, Fiona, Laura, Becky, and Kandice giving daily updates, ha!

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) 100 pages yesterday and I only counted because of this thread. LOL.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OK but in a typical day - I don't usually read even close to 160 pages. I'm lucky to read over 30. If I spent no time with my husband or my daughter tho, I could do it.

message 45: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I like the flower too. It looks like a Gerber daisy.

If my kids are busy outside the house, I can read all I want. If they are home, we can read together, but that's amuch interupted read! I could probably go back and reconstruct their social calendar by the # of pages I got to read! :)

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks! I like that flower too. I wanted a snowdrop, but there is so much white I thought it would fade into the background.

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments I read two books yesterday...somewhere over 700 pages. But that was rare. On average, about 80 pgs a day.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hmm... I finished "Where the Heart Is", which was 68 pages.

Oh man, there was one part in there that had me so upset I was just crying and shaking! *shudder* Jeez.

I would have liked a little bit more of a wrap-up at the end, but the book was good!

message 49: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments wow.

reading through to see the number of pages you guys are doing in a day makes me think i don't read enough!!

well, part of it may be that i'm currently slogging my way through JS&MN. i'm at page 404 right now. i have read a book in a night, but that's not the norm for me. on a great night, i can do 50 to 60 pages.

my biggest problem is, go figure, work. i have a 40 minute commute both ways, which i drive, and then after the daycare pickup, it's after 5 when i get home. if i want a good 7.5 hours of sleep, then i end up with a total of 5 hours to cook & eat dinner, workout, pick up, bath the child, put him to bed, shower, and get ready for the next day. oh, and of course my GR and overall internet fix. not always lots of time for reading!

maybe after i polish off JS&MN i'll keep track of my daily pages. it may look more impressive then!

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) 0 pages yesterday :(

Very bad reading day because I had a paper due by midnight and I had to work during the day. On the plus side, I plan on getting my copy of Outlander today and hopefully will finish A Sweet Far Thing by tomorrow.

« previous 1