The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) So, I've started recording how many pages I read a day. (Today currently 0!) Because I dunno. Part of me thinks that reducing everything to tables and bar charts is a little too much like hard work when I should be reading, but it's interesting.

How many pages have you read today? What's your average?

MATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT (theawesomecatperson) | 2 comments If I am reading a really good book, it could be 500. But if it isn't so good, maybe 100 or so.

I recorded the number of pages I read during the summer. =] 10,346

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do they need to be pages of a novel, or do the news and magazines count? I am going to tally today, and see if I surprise myself.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Books! :P

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay, but just keep in mind, I will have read lots more pages, just not BOOK pages!!!!!! I don't want to appear lazy;)

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hah, well it's almost 8pm and my quota for the day is... 8.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's only 12 for me, but I have yet to have a break so I can actually READ!!!! I am going to read my entire luch hour. I swear it! I will not let that damn Mr. Norrell beat me!!!!!

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Haha not so good eh? Mind you don't drop the book on your foot if you fall asleep reading, as it's quite heavy and could cause some damage.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Maybe I could "drop" the book on the way to my car after work, "not realize it", and... alas it's lost! I wont be able to finish. So sorry! And yes, it's HUGE!

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Haha lol. Why don't you just give up? I know it isn't really the thing, but books shouldn't be torture!

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You're right, and I may give up if lunch, (uninterupted reading) doesn't make me want to continue. I just feel like such a failure. I wanted to participate in the discussion! *stomps feet, balls fists*

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I know what you mean. I hate giving up on a book, but if it just makes you unhappy reading it then that goes against the grain of reading for pleasure.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I admire your persistence Kandice. :-)
I made it up to page 6 when I started snoozing off. That was the beginning of January. Haven't picked it up since.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh thank you Jackie! That feels like permission. Fiona already gave hers :) so now... the motion has carried!!!!!
Now I have to choose another. I have quite a few waiting, but it wont be hard to find something better.

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) The Pillars of the Earth. It's long too (over one thousand) and I want to read it too, at some point!

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) A group of us are starting Outlander next week I believe. You're more than welcome to join in.

I couldn't take the slowness and footnotes. I don't want to waste my time with something I don't enjoy. I already do stuff I don't enjoy like homework and things for work. LOL. I can't let unhappiness slip into my reading.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'll look for both. I usually like long books better than short ones. You get mroe attached to the characters, but not in this case! If I find yours, Fiona, I'll let you know.
Jackie, if I find yours, I would really like discussing it with you guys. Thanks.

message 18: by Fiona (last edited Jan 21, 2009 12:53PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Outlander is good too and it's the shortest of the whole series at 863 pages. And then we can all discuss them.

18 pages so far today!

I did start a goal of 50 pages a day but it doesn't always work out. My book's good but not 'omg I need to read more' good.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice ALWAYS set attainable goals! I tell my kids that all the time. If you set yourself up for failure, you fail, and you FEEL like a failure. Set attainable goals, you suceed, and you feel like a success. (you are!)*bows* That was my speech for the day!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2396 comments I don't know my average, but when I start a book I typically count the chapters and then figure out when I want to finish it. If there are no chapters or they are not numbered, I usually count the pages again.

message 21: by Jessica (last edited Jan 21, 2009 06:25PM) (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I like to read at least 30 pages a day which is almost always fairly easy to do. Thus far today, I have read 62 pages.

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I succeeded in reading over 50 pages yesterday - well 54 to be exact. And today I have read 52 already - and only have about 23 odd pages to go.

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yesterday- 69. What a difference reading something you WANT to read makes! The Road

message 24: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I know. I've read 50 pages today and probably more by the end. I just love my current book to pieces.

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yesterday, I read 340 pages.
119 finishing up Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel (Very good!)
221 Starting The Runaway Jury (I love John Grisham when he writes legal thrillers!)

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yesterday I read 168. I ALSO read 3 stories in Ellery Queen, but you said they don't count!

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maybe you could count them separately Kandice...

I just went through and counted the number of pages I read in 2009 so far, including what I've read so far of The Runaway Jury, I'm up to 2916 pages for January.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do you like the Runaway Jury? I thought it was one of his best!

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I am enjoying it so far, but my favorite is still "A Time To Kill".

I love John Grisham though, his novels are always fast-paced, and keep me on the edge of my seat. And I love that they are set in the south! I grew up in the south, and the way that he describes it reminds me of home...

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A Time To Kill is my favorite too! When I first read it, I thouht it would never be translated to film, but when it finally was, it was terrific! Samuel L. Jackson was perfect. I think John Cusak is perfect as Easter too. I'm not so sure about Rachel Weisz (sp)

message 31: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I've never read a Grisham, I've always thought his name was rather too big for the title and I don't like that.

JKR is a big name, but Harry Potter was bigger. When I see a Grisham novel I never see the title but The Runaway Jury does sound good and I really enjoyed the movie. From the opening paragraph you posted in the other topic too, it sounds really good!

But I don't need any more books for my tbr, I can't get them!

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Haha... I rarely notice the size of the author's name. On my copy, the name is the same size as the title - title at the top, then a photo of an empty jury box, then the author's name at the bottom.

If you ever do read a Grisham novel, Fiona, start with "A Time to Kill". It makes my heart hurt, but it's such a great book. Another really good one is "The Rainmaker".

I have a bunch of Grisham books here (I got a ton of them at the thrift store for like 50 cents each!)

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Becky is right. A Time to Kill is his best. I really like the Firm too for suspense. It's such a great ending! I have almost all of his books, and they are some of the only books my non-reading husband will read.

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was just at Wal-Mart and while Thomas was waiting in line I slipped over to look at the books... I couldn't help it... I didn't buy anything (Yay willpower!) but they had a whole bunch of Grisham novels that I want!

And then Thomas is like, "Just buy one, what does it matter? It's only one book, and if you REALLY NEED IT..."

He's a terrible influence. (And he doesn't even read!)

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Today-50 pages. That was the end of the Road. The saddest, most depressing thing I have ever read. :(

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "You're right, and I may give up if lunch, (uninterupted reading) doesn't make me want to continue. I just feel like such a failure. I wanted to participate in the discussion! *stomps feet, balls fi..."

Bleitbleit. kandice you should have kept reading it and take it to lunch. I would have thought every day, hehe in some hours time she will be reading it too during her lunch!!!

message 37: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Becky wrote: "I was just at Wal-Mart and while Thomas was waiting in line I slipped over to look at the books... I couldn't help it... I didn't buy anything (Yay willpower!) but they had a whole bunch of Grisham..."

Normally you want them to say that and they don't. And then for once you don't want it and they come up telling that!!!!

message 38: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Men! :P

I read 77 pages yesterday. Woo!

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I KNOW! Grr... Any other time he'd be ranting about how many unread books are cluttering the house, but NO! Now he wants to tempt me. >:(

I read 329 pgs yesterday, by the way. I'm up to 3245 pages for the month.

message 40: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Wow! That's so good.

I read 20 pages of my non-fic today and have yet to start my fiction for today. Must up my reading!

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) If I keep reading at this manic pace, then I will be able to buy new books sooner. ;)

message 42: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) That's a great idea! Trouble is remembering to eat whilst reading.

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Fiona wrote: "That's a great idea! Trouble is remembering to eat whilst reading. "

Uh huh.

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I read 108 pages yesterday! Go me!

message 45: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Go you! I feel so slow. I should be reading now but I just watched CSI NY instead. And here I am... okay. All together including my non fic I've read about 60 pages today.

message 46: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Fiona-Please watch one of the original CSI's. I so want you to see Gil Grissom!!!

I read 79 pages of the Jane Austen Book club today. So much nicer than The Road. I felt on the verge of tears the whole time I was reading that! This is like candy.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice - Have you officially given up on Jonathan Strange? How far did you get? (I have to confess, I loved this book, but I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, so I just kept laughing until the last 200 or so pages, when the tension got pretty steep.)

I just found this thread, since I'm a CPA/tax preparer w/my own business, so I really have to work, LOL. Anyway, I wish I had more time during the week for GR during tax season, but I have very little. And w/the time I do have, I want to be reading. Great thread Fiona!

I read 110 pp. yesterday, but only because I wanted to finally be DONE with that Ghost at Work. Usually I'm lucky to read 50. I seem to average 30 on work nights. But I think Fiona's 50 is a good goal.

message 48: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I managed 66 yesterday. I'd probably get a lot more done if I quit poking around GR!

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I read about 200 yesterday. I was actually hoping to finish "Where The Heart Is" in one sitting, but I was too exhausted. :(

Good book so far. This is my second Billie Letts book (I loved "The Honk And Holler Opening Soon") and I am really enjoying it, but she has a weird way with names. It almost seems like the more unusual the name, the better the character is. *shrug*

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Laura wrote: "Kandice - Have you officially given up on Jonathan Strange? How far did you get? (I have to confess, I loved this book, but I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, so I just kept laughing until t..."

I only got about 100 pages in. I may try again, because it really seems as if I SHOULD like it. Someone mentioned the audio is awesome, so if I could find that at a good price, I would love to try that.

« previous 1 3