Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Chris' 2009 List

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments I'm not expecting to hit 50 books this year, as real life just won't stop intruding on my reading time. I'll guess that if I manage 30 books this year that will be a major success.

1. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Something this weak doesn't really inspire me to devote more time to leisurely reading instead of taking care of the time-consuming issues I should really be dealing with.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 2. What Dreams May Come - Richard Matheson
Not a very promising start to 2009 - I thought this book was terrible.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 3. Dispatch - Bentley Little
I started my 50 of 2008 with a collection of his short stories, and decided that a year was enough time to pass to forgive his transgressions. This was no better; as a matter of fact I'd suggest to him that short stories may very well be his forte. This book was not awesome.

message 4: by Bishop (last edited Jan 28, 2009 08:21PM) (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 152 comments Vonnegut is like pizza, my friend. Granted, Breakfast of Champs is like microwave pizza, but it's still pizza!

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments Bishop wrote: "Vonnegut is like pizza, my friend. Granted, Breakfast of Champs is like microwave pizza, but it's still pizza!"

Two comments: One to Chris: why do you keep reading books that turn you off? See the Abandoned Books thread in this group for help at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9....
(Smile)

Bishop: I didn't get your pizza analogy. I love pizza and Vonnegut so am I missing something?

Ed

message 6: by Bishop (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 152 comments Pizza is always good, but to varying degrees. Vonnegut is the same. Microwave pizza is usually pretty weak in terms of pizza, but you'll still enjoy it on some level or you wouldn't eat it. Vonnegut, even when not bringing his A game, is till pretty good.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments Bishop wrote: "Pizza is always good, but to varying degrees. Vonnegut is the same. Microwave pizza is usually pretty weak in terms of pizza, but you'll still enjoy it on some level or you wouldn't eat it. Von..."

Got it. Like it!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 4. The Terminal Man - Michael Crichton
This was a pretty quick read, which I was grateful for, as the story wasn't anything incredible. I have to imagine James Cameron borrowed heavily from Benson's 'rise of the machines' paranoia when writing The Terminator.

message 9: by Chris (last edited Apr 04, 2009 12:31AM) (new)

Chris | 85 comments Book 5 - A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Awesome. Awesome squared. And hilariously awesome at that. If it weren't for the last 50 pages, this would be five-star material.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 6. Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
Very disappointing, especially after reading a number of good reviews calling it the grand-daddy of post-apocalyptic fiction.

The Big Book of Weirdos - Gahan Wilson
I'm not counting this as one of my 50 (no matter how desperate I will be in 2009 to hit that goal) simply because it's 95% illustrated. And total crap. Can anyone spare a match?

7. Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
I seem to prefer Bradbury's short stories over his novels, and this one wasn't very good.

8. Emma - Jane Austen
I'm waiting until I officially 'come out of the closet' before admitting that I liked this.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 9. The Immoralist - Andre Gide
I certainly wasn't expecting this. I was expecting something.....good. Or at least decadent.

10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Jeff Kinney
Got 20 minutes to kill? Chill with Greg Heffley for a while. What's better than this book? Schleppers! Zoo-wee Mama!

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments whoopee for 10 (decadent or not!)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments Don't rub it in...... last year I managed 50 books by July. This year I don't have the extra two hours a day to read on the train. It's resulted in a LOT less reading and a lot less activity on goodreads.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 11. Candy - Maxwell Kenton
Now THIS is a great book. I'd give it a sixth star if I could.

message 15: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments two hours on a train a day to read?!---sounds like HEAVEN!

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments 12. The Unholy - Michael Falconer Anderson
Total garbage.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments and what a difference those two hours a day make.......I'm currently at book 35, in Oct 2009. I was at 35 in May 2008.

13. White Ghosts - Will Rhode
14. The Giver - Lois Lowry
15. Switch Bitch - Roald Dahl
16. Pygmy - Chuck Palahniuk
17. Hot Water Music - Charles Bukowski
18. Time Patrolman - Poul Andersen
19. A Hero Of Our Time - Mikhail Lermontov
20. Atlas Shrugges - Ayn Rand
21. Pride and Predjudice and Zombies - Grahame-Smith, Austen
22. Wilt - Tom Sharpe
23. The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall
24. The Selected Works of TS Spivet - Reif Larsen
25. Re-Birth - John Wyndham
26. When Time Stood Still - Ben Orkow
27. Kink - Kathe Koja
28. The Magus - John Fowles
29. Hold Tight - Harlan Corben
30. Shock Rock - anthology
31. The Daughters of Astaroth - Sandra Shulman
32. Give a Boy a Gun - Todd Strasser
33. A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters - Julian Barnes
34. Hunger - Knut Hamsun
35. Politics - Adam Thirlwell

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments I’m hoping 2009 was just a sophomore slump for my goodreads participation; a lot of unexpected things kept me from reading often, and probably reviewed about 10 of these books. Driving to work vs. taking the train cut major reading time from my schedule, and long days at work didn’t help much either. I also haven’t had a working computer at home for almost two months now, which further complicated issues, as I did have some time during the holidays (although having zero visibility to my banking accounts online during the time was rather difficult).

On a positive note, I did manage to keep ‘re-reads’ to a minimum, and finally got around to a few books I’d been putting off for years. I also made use of this site by finally taking some recommendations from some of my favorite reviews which, in all honesty, led to the discovery of a few books I truly enjoyed, and thank god for that, since almost everything which I selected at random was pretty crappy.

Happy 2010 to y’all, and hopefully some of my scratch-lotto tickets will make me enough cash to buy a working machine so I can get back on goodreads (I’m watching my folk’s dog at their place right now, a truly thrilling experience.)

1. Breakfast of Champion – Kurt Vonnegut
2. What Dreams May Come – Richard Matheson
3. Dispatch – Bentley Little
4. The Terminal Man – Michael Crichton
5. A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
6. Earth Abides – George R Stewart
7. Something Wicked This Way Comes – Ray Bradbury
8. Emma – Jane Austen
9. The Immoralist – Andre Gide
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Jeff Kinney
11. Candy – Maxwell Kenton
12. The Unholy – Michael Falconer Anderson