Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Chaos Walking: A Trilogy
This topic is about Chaos Walking
Individual Book Discussions > Chaos Walking

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Layton (thunderinourhearts) Hey. I am reading the knife of never letting go right now, and I put up this topic to see what you all thought of the trilogy.

message 2: by Lily (last edited Jul 26, 2012 03:49PM) (new)

Lily (lilyjpine) I thought they were amazing, though it took a while fo me to get into the first book.

message 3: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 1107 comments I love these books. They are truly spectactular.

Layton (thunderinourhearts) I am about halfway through the first one and loving it.

message 5: by Artemisia (new)

Artemisia Sage (bookworm56) I just recently finished the ask and the answer, and it was AMAZING. I cant wait to read the last one. This series is one of my favorites.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilyjpine) Artemisia wrote: "I just recently finished the ask and the answer, and it was AMAZING. I cant wait to read the last one. This series is one of my favorites."

Be warned, the last one is intense.

Layton (thunderinourhearts) Some people say this whole series rivals the Hunger Games.

message 8: by Getty (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Getty Hesse This is my favorite book series EVER! It is the only thing I have ever read that I preferred to Harry Potter (sacrilegious, I know). It is just so amazing how the author manages to simultaneously have these beautifully developed characters, brilliantly layered themes and symbolism, perfect prose and a really fast-paced and unpredictable plot.

Patrick Ness is without a doubt my favorite author.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (megansrandomthoughts) | 5 comments SPOILERS

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal caused a stir by asserting that "young adult fiction is rife with depravity". Ness has himself been accused, by the Daily Mail, of choosing subjects too dark for youngsters. Monsters of Men has a scene, for example, in which Viola is "waterboarded" under interrogation. But Ness thinks it is important to consider what teenagers write themselves: "I have judged teenage writing contests and it is extraordinarily dark material. Isn't it better to acknowledge that and say, 'All right, these are the things you think about, but let's look at them seriously, let's look at the real consequences and the real feelings that surround them'? To not write about serious things is, in a way, abandoning a young reader, and I just won't do that." -http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

I read the Knife of Never Letting Go back when the book came out in 2008 and then continued to wait a year for The Ask and the Answer and another year again when Monsters of Men finally hit our stores. This series easily became my favourite and even now, after The Hunger Games, after Percy Jackson, after The Mortal Instruments, it is still my favourite book series and it forever will be.

Ness does talk about Aleut subjects, but when you think about, we are Young Adults (I may not have been at the time, but that's beside the point) I grew with this book and learned from it, all authors talk about adult topics, even J.K Rowling talks about war, torture, those are adult topics.

I really want to do an in depth review of these books and I think I will after I read them (again) so for now I leave this floating around here.

If you are ever looking for recommendations, look for The Chaos Walking Trilogy, you won't regret it, and in saying that, I love how people are reading this series, but it still feels like it's mine, my little unnoticed secret from the world of books.

unread topics | mark unread