The Dark Mythology discussion

Hi there - new group member

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Hi all

Vicki Jean put me onto this group - looks interesting. I use a lot of classic mythology in my writing and try to shake it up a bit, so interested to hear others thoughts on the subject.

These are my books:

RealmShift MageSign

Something that occurs to me is that the old tropes of mythology are getting a bit tired at the moment. Especially vampires. What's a good way to shake up these ideas?

message 2: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
Hey Alan, VJ, fancy meeting you here. -grin-

I think one way to revitalize the mythologies is to get away from the common ones that everyone else seems to be using. Get back to the older ones or better yet, try some of the native american or african mythos.
There really is a lot of reference out there, it's just a matter of educating people. that and finding a figure (or figures) and making them interesting to all.

Vampires, werewolves and such are all great fun and I especially like to see creative (and logical) rewrites of their different mythos,

Take a look at Japanese myths. There are a few truly frightening figures there.

So the ways are there, it's just a matter of putting it together. The hard part in other words.

Romkey's idea for vampires is interesting as it tries to put a scientific face on it. that vampirism (sp?) is a virus, not some magical event.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Vicki - Satan as a bad guy is due to some pretty poor spin on the part of the Christians. Lucifer actually means "lightbringer". But let's not get into that now. In my books Satan is the old evil devil.

Haven't read Black Jewels - I'll have to look out for it.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments The devil is a much maligned character in mythology. He was an angel, after all, and he disagreed with god. That doesn't automatically make him evil. In many ways it makes him very good and rather sane, but this isn't the place to pull apart the Judeo-Christian mythology. ;)

message 5: by Brett (new)

Yeah, it's all bad publicity! -grin-
It helps when you have your "holy" men write, rewrite and edit the "holy" books as they see fit.

But you're right Alan, better not get into that here and now. Talk about Pandora's Box!

As for a vampire virus, I believe that was also used in a movie I saw a while back. I can't remember the name but it had Bai Ling and the guy who played the Highlander in the TV series.

message 6: by Brett (new)

As for Anne Bishop, the Black Jewels series really is good. She is releasing the sixth book in March.

Black Jewels
1. Daughter of the Blood (1998)
2. Heir to the Shadows (1999)
3. Queen of the Darkness (1999)
4. The Invisible Ring (2000)
5. Tangled Webs (2008)
6. The Shadow Queen (2009)
The Black Jewels Trilogy (omnibus) (2003)
Dreams Made Flesh (2005)

message 7: by Brett (new)

It was Adrian Paul, VJ.

The name of the movie is The Breed.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265104/
It is a dark future vampire film. A goth film really. It's a future where the vampires have come out into the open.
It's not a great film by any means, but it is good enough to watch at least once.
I've watched nearly a dozen times myself. -grin-
I just LOVE those 'B' movies!

message 8: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Satan as a villain or a hero is too predictable. Considering the popularity of Christianity it's all too obvious of a move.

But when I hear Mythology, I wanna read The Illiad and The Odyssey again.

message 9: by Brett (last edited Jan 22, 2009 01:43AM) (new)

In the TV series, I believe he was the first. I know he was there for a few seasons. Hmmm. Another thing to go check out.

Actually, as far as I know, Adrian Paul was the ONLY one to play the title character on the TV series.
There can be only one...Duncan MacLeod. -grin-

message 10: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Adrian Paul...Duncan 'Mac /... (119 episodes,1992-1998)

message 11: by Brett (new)

Take a look at the IMDB site. It lists all the episodes and characters.

Are you thinking of Christopher Lambert maybe? The star of the screen films?

I still love the very first film. I was entranced by the transitions from present to past. They were very well done.

message 12: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I believe the whole collection of Highlander material is available on DVD, but I would double check that.

message 13: by Brett (new)

Hey Vicki Jean, I wonder if you are thinking about a guy that showed up later? He was young, blonde and Conner took him under his wing. I don't remember if he was related in any way. He wound up being in a lot of episodes and some were him alone.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi um i am like 12 so I havent written any books, so ya but i love the house of night series, and the percy jackson series, and like mythology is my fav subject of all time!

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan Baxter | 29 comments Like mythology or actually mythology?

;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I like greek mythology the best

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 11 comments Are fairy tales part of mythology? I always thought they were in a separate realm.

One thing I like about them is the ending when a cruel character at the end is asked by the prince what was the proper punishment for various deeds that the character was guilty of. Flattered, the character would come up with horrible punishment in order to advise the prince and then the prince would said, "You have spoken your own doom." Then the punishment would be carried out. I wish our justice system could do the same thing:

Judge: For someone who stole billions of dollars from the elderly folks, what would be proper punishment for that person?

Defendant: Hmmm, I would say have that person taken to a tree stump, force him to drop his pants and have his testicles pounded into veal patties with a sledge hammer while another shoves a cobra up that person's butt.

Judge: You have spoken your own doom.

Defendant: Wait! No! I meant treat that person to a free lunch at Denny's-no! No! No!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Patrik that is so funny

message 19: by === (new)

=== hi

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

YOLA (yo and hola)

message 21: by Pamela (last edited Jun 22, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Pamela | 79 comments Adrian Paul played the TV Highlander--he was kind of related to Christopher Lambert, the first Highlander (movies). they had same last name-McCloud, just not first name. They were in one movie together--when Paul was handed the torch so to speak for film versions.

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 79 comments Thanks, couldn't remember, though was he was cousin far removed. Adrian came about a hundred years later, so not first or second.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich | 2 comments Hello, I'm new. Not sure if this is a really active group or not, but I love reading vampire, fae, werewolf...etc books.

message 24: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 21, 2010 01:05PM) (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) Hello, I'm an affectionate reader of paranormal-romance and urban fantasy... but read a lot of sci-fi and horror. My favorite folkloric creature is vampire (you will notice checking my bookshelf).
Nice to meet all

message 25: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Hi, I'm in a lot of the Horror, and some of the Fantasy and SciFi groups, so I'll probably be seeing a lot of the same people here. I saw in Brett's profile that he is a member of this group, and this looks interesting. I've always been interested in mythology, so this is a group I would enjoy looking at. Again, I am stopping this strong urge to copy and paste my intros in other groups to get this over with.

My childhood reading choices were the fairy tales, The Holocaust, abnormal genetics, abnormal psychology, art history, and literature. I also enjoyed my collection of Tarzan, Shazam, Disney and horror comics. I studied engineering but received my degree in Masters of Fine Arts with a focus on painting. I enjoyed Literature as an adult, Physics in combination with the metaphysical, then was briefly into Paranormal Romance, became absorbed with Horror, and now am mixing it with Fantasy and SciFi. Basically, I read everything, from non-fiction to SciFi, and books, magazines and road signs.

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Welcome, Pat. Looks like nobody's here, so I'll welcome you.

message 27: by Hannah (last edited May 18, 2012 08:31PM) (new)

Hannah (Faize) Wow. Over a year since someone else has posted a comment on this thread.
Well, I'm new. Name's Hannah. Hope this group isn't a dying one...

message 28: by Aloha (new)

Aloha It's a ghost ship. LOL!

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) Haha, guess so:) So what does everybody do in this group mostly?

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Davies (debbie16) | 1 comments Hi

I'm new to this group I love books inspired by mythology and would like some recommendations if anyone has any (I'm sure you all do!)