College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
just thought i'd create a folder to discuss specific non-group read books!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Loving it!!! So what I need...

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Okay, Franny and Zooey was AMAZING! I read it in about 3 hours. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books of all time, so I don't know why it took me this long to pick up Franny and Zooey.If anybody was thinking about reading it, it's so worth the read and completely excellent!

message 4: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
Looks like my list of books that I'm going to have to buy is now: Franny and Zooey, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Heretic's Daughter, The 13th Tale, Dharma Bums. I don't have money for this, but I'm getting pains because of how badly I want these books. *Sigh*

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

kelsey..Franny and Zooey is one of my all time favorite books in the WORLD! I'm glad you loved it!!

message 6: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) Everyone keeps talking about Franny and Zoe and its making me eager to bump it up the TBR list and read it asap! lol. Is it really that quick of a read?

message 7: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I second Anastasia's question.

message 8: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I third it. But what I'm wondering is, was it very similar to Catcher in the Rye? Because I was not a very big fan of that book...

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Tahleen, I agree. I read Catcher in the Rye several years ago and HATED it. So I'm a little wary of reading Franny and Zooey but I do really want to read it. I'm thinking about rereading Catcher in the Rye b/c I might have missed the point the first time I read it.

message 10: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Personally, Catcher in the Rye intrigued me enough to want to re-read it sometime. I didn't absolutely love it, but I really didn't hate it either.

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I thought that Franny and Zooey was a really quick read, but it could be just me. Jamie, did you finish it quick when you read it?
I think it had a few similarities to Catcher in the Rye, but I think it's different enough that if you didn't like Catcher in the Rye, you might still like this one.

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Sorry I posted about Franny and Zooey on this one! I completely forgot that it was our group read!

message 13: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Yeah, I read Catcher in the Rye twice (once on my own and once in school) and liked it the first time but didn't like it the second time. I think I'll give Franny and Zooey a chance though, enough people seem to like it haha.

message 14: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

There's always a danger in reading something because a bunch of people read it and liked it. The danger being that if you don't like it, you feel weird or something like that. Maybe that's just me though.

message 15: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I mean, I remember once in high school, I approached my teacher and asked her for a book suggestion. And I couldn't get past the first couple of pages of the books she recommended and she even loaned me her copy. I felt like a jerk.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin I haven't had that problem till recently when I started reading some of the GRs authors. So far I've like most, but its hard when you have to find something to compliment. I can't not leave a review since I plan on giving all the books I read reviews (probably during the summer).

message 17: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I don't have a hard time giving 1-5 star reviews, but I don't like having to write something to say about most of the books I read. If I didn't interact well with them, then I should probably keep my opinions to myself (unless it's just so horrible that I can't resist).

message 18: by Erin (last edited Jan 26, 2009 11:23AM) (new)

Erin I like leaving a review more then the stars. I actually get quite annoyed by simply star ratings when I'm looking up books because I want to know why. The backs of books don't always catch it all. That's why I've made a shelf that is simply needs-review. I plan on going back and giving them reviews during the summer or on winter breaks when I have the time.

I don't care if I don't know the author, but critiquing the ones on here can be a bit harder because I don't want to insult them. I try to keep it very this is my opinion and this is what I found 'wrong' very separate and blunt for all of them. My opinion is usually a I like this type of book or I don't because, while the blunt side is for it's written poorly. Though even then the poorly written is with a loud, but I don't like this writing style. I try to make sure it's out there that its just what I like not actual you suck or anything.

message 19: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i thought franny and zooey was a quick read. I liked it better than Catcher(but i also love Catcher)..and for those of you who are wary to read it..it's a good book to read for a challnege about an author you hate :)

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn haha yep. That's the one I picked for that challenge! But I am excited to read Franny and Zooey b/c I read somewhere that Wes Anderson was influenced by it while making the Royal Tenenbaums

message 21: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Haha good one Jamie! Maybe now I'll make up my challenge list... soonish...