Anne Rice lovers! discussion

Interview w/the Vampire discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 85 comments Mod
Discuss Interview with the Vampire here.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber I hate how in the movie they change the begining of louis' life to him having lost a wife and child instead of what it really was

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think because of the way Lestat was turned, he is elfish and sometimes cruel. Having said that, he certainly loves Louis as much as he is able. Later, his affection is extended to Claudia, but because of her own immaturity, petulance and selfishness, it was never going to last.
As soon as Claudia was made, poor Louis became a pawn. He was doomed to such mortal misery because, of the three, he was the only one able to love with all his heart, making him the only one able to suffer a BROKEN heart. Poor thing.

message 4: by Ren (new)

Ren (iirenity) Louis is the original, immortal emo. I loved the book and the movie. Anne did a decent job writing the screenplay for Interview. I thought the acting was great, but the actor just didn't align with my mental pictures of the characters.

message 5: by Kizzy (new)

Kizzy (kizzyanel) | 4 comments Kandice wrote: "I think because of the way Lestat was turned, he is elfish and sometimes cruel. Having said that, he certainly loves Louis as much as he is able. Later, his affection is extended to Claudia, but be..."

I have heard it said that two people who are very alike will have problems getting along because they will see their own faults in the other person and they don't want to be faced with it. I think this is what happens between Claudia and Lestat, I also think Lestat is a bit jealous of the relationship that develops between Claudia and Louis.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments I think he was jealous too. I also think that Louis really was not the best choice of someone to turn. I dont think this really was the life he wanted. He is so sad

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicapineda) It was difficult for me since I read The Vampire Lestat first before The Interview. I was quite shocked by how Lestat was portrayed in The Interview. But I still love him.

Louis is the greatest wuss that I've read of so far. Claudia was delightfully evil.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments Louis was so whiney....

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I think Louis had the right to be. Plus I like how Louis develops over the books, I've read up tp Blood and Gold and I must say that he is one of my favorties in the books.

message 10: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 2 comments I really enjoyed the difference in perspective between Interview With the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. Louis and Lestat saw things completely different. I agree that Lestat's turning greatly influenced his behavior with Louis's turning. I don't think Claudia was anymore immature or viscous than Lestat. They were very similar in personality and if their positions had been reversed I think the same series of events would have occurred.

message 11: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Slade (marlenekslade) | 2 comments Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire rates alongside Bram Stroker's Dracula. These two novels are my all-time favorite. Anne Rice's Tales of the Body Thief is my next favorite vampire novel.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 16 comments I always disliked Louis as whiny.

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 1 comments I think to have a better understanding of Louis you have to read all of the books. You see in the first book that he is incredibly cowardly and as someone wrote in this group, "the original emo vampire." However as you continue to the books he's in you begin to see his growth and the fact that he does love what he is but was ashamed of it. I believe what had transpired in Queen of the Damned led him to see that he wasn't alone and Interview with the Vampire is showing he feels very much alone.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments Amber wrote: "I hate how in the movie they change the begining of louis' life to him having lost a wife and child instead of what it really was"
I'm not surprised if there was great pressure to appeal to a wider audience by doing that.

message 15: by Maycon (new)

Maycon Da Silva | 1 comments Leslie wrote: "Amber wrote: "I hate how in the movie they change the begining of louis' life to him having lost a wife and child instead of what it really was"
I'm not surprised if there was great pressure to app..."

I agree because movies can be very disturbing if you read the books and see absurd changes in the story.