Aspiring Authors: Writing Group discussion

Goal-Oriented Writing > Setting Your Writing Goals

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saoirse (new)

Saoirse (saoirse_redgrave) | 26 comments Mod
A good friend of mine (and fellow writer) has started doing "weekly writing goals" and posting them on her blog (which, imho, adds the potential of positive peer pressure).

As a writer, do YOU make short term and long term goals, and if so, where do you keep them so they aren't "out of sight, out of mind?"

Do you have any writing goals for 2009 (or even just the upcoming week) you'd like to share?

~Shannon

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 9 comments I try to write one to two short stories or poems per day. I wish I could get into writing a "real" novel, but I never like my characters enough haha!! You end up feeling quite intimate with them ... and I never can get a firm enough hold on who these people are (or maybe I have my own personal issues I need to work through?) I have a lot of resolutions for the new year, but none having to do with writing, actually. I just try to keep up with writing what I would consider a "good piece" that I am okay enough with to send out to magazines (i.e. I usually send out about 6 short stories/poems to each magazine at a time, so I can do it about once a week. It is a little tiring, but has paid off with the constant writing and revising so that now I can get semi-pro to professional payment for my writing, which I had never considered I would be able to do as I spent years only getting rejection slips).

-H.

message 3: by Saoirse (new)

Heather--You are a dynamo! When my son was younger (i.e., less apt to run off and harass the dogs) I could do a short story a week (and thinking about it, most of those characters got offed in the end--guess I've got my own set of issues, huh?).

I'm trying actually to whip "13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale" into a serious (well, as serious as Russian werewolves can be, I guess ;-) novel. Working on my synopsis... All the nitty-gritty YA publishers seem to be looking for. I'm also trying to keep up with my blogging (sent out the first 7 revised/revitalized chapters to members of my "private writers' group" for them to read and take a poll about--one reader wins a prize--no, not a Kindle--I WISH!).

I need to get back into the swing of writing for children's mags, etc. but I'm always fighting time itself.

That's it--I'm going to try following your advice and that of composer pal, Charlie Barnett--get up early and work your butt off...
~Shannon

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, I have an answer for this one! I have joined the group "Write in 2009" and it is a real kick in the butt. I have decided that I will write 200 words a day, and it has been quite easy. I am proud of my self for commiting to this, and it is really helping!

message 5: by Saoirse (new)

Very good, Adrienne! I'm a member of that group (in more of a "lurker" capacity, I guess).

Two-hundred words a day sounds like a good goal. Are you going to do 200 words a day on the same piece of writing, or split it up between several things?

I'm having to divide my time between press releases, book trailer concepts and other things (blogging).

I'm desperate to get back to REALLY writing, but the time away's been good for me--Had a great epiphany yesterday about my story. :-)

Keep plugging away!
~Shannon

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

200 words per day for anything. I just need to write 200. Just keep writing! :)

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateHammerich) | 4 comments You guys make me feel like such a slacker! Now, I will say I'm taking 2 online courses right now. And I do have an 8 month old baby who's sick! But still... I haven't written in almost a week now. I like this 200 words a day plan (but I'm going to count assignments as well!). Perhaps even if I just free-write, I'll actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. Which is the first step towards getting in a good habit.

message 8: by Saoirse (new)

Kate,

You have plenty on your plate! Everyone's goals have to be relative to their situation, adjustable and achievable. ;-)

I've had plenty of times when I haven't nailed every one of my goals and sometimes I've ratcheted them down midweek because life has interfered ;-), but I try. And even that helps.

When my son was little I was able to get a decent amount done (except when he got sick--so I TOTALLY understand)--now I'm chasing him, he's chasing me, he's wrestling the dogs--There are no quiet places in my house unless it's very early or very late.

And you're right, Kate, just getting into the habit of writing every day will make a significant difference. :-)

I like the way you count your 200 words, Adrienne. If that helps keep you moving towards achieving your writing goals, that's awesome! :-)

I just had guests and that totally changed what I hoped to get accomplished, but one of my guests does editing for screenplay-type stuff and sounds like a cool contact. So although my goals had to be changed, I still feel like good stuff happened. :-)

I think part of goal-setting also has to relate to keeping our eyes open for more opportunities and connections with writing, too--It's definitely important if you're freelancing.

~Shannon