Open Mind, Open Heart discussion

General Topics > What spiritual/metaphysical texts did you really need an open mind to read?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Everything I've read by Echo Bodine. I bought an Echo Bodine book for my mother, thinking it was along the lines of her fav author Sylvia Browne, and then ended up getting assigned to read it in my spiritual development group. I was pleasantly surprised.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 15 comments A book called Jesus by Deepak Chopra. This was the first time I've ever read a fictional depiction of Jesus. I think the most difficult part of the reading was my own ego unwilling to keep an open mind to another's concept. I hope to re-read it at another time, when I'm more centered and less egoic.

message 3: by Myra (new)

Myra | 19 comments Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch - I actually didn't even get all the way through the first book - it just puts God in such a, I don't know, common light or something. I just didn't feel good reading it.

message 4: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
What if in being made in God's light we really are a piece of him or her? It's a hard concept, but perhaps worth a page in my journal. :) It seems almost sacriledge to think that God could be one of us, because we're obviously not as smart as someone who could create humanity. And we need someone special to talk to him for us and "translate." Maybe this keeps us from trying to talk with God? Wow...thanks for the comment Myra, it has me thinking.

message 5: by Myra (new)

Myra | 19 comments Yes, I hear what you're saying Starr. And I'm learning and agreeing with the fact that we are all ONE in Him - and I'm starting to Get that I have power to change my life even with my thoughts b/c of the Divine Power within me....it's the most wonderful realization that's ever happened to me, of course. I think I will go back to his books after I have learned more. I hate the fact, too, that many of my old conservative Christian friends think he's basically Satan. I wouldn't even be able to begin to approach them about the new things I'm learning. Mostly I just mention Edgar Cayce's biography to them, "There is a River" and tell them what a fascinating story it is. If it's their time to be open maybe that will be the trigger for them (as it was for me).