History is Not Boring discussion

What History Are You Reading in December '07

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Currently I am finishing up (read slogging through) Anne Butler's book Daughters of Joy, Sisters of Misery: Prostitutes in the American West, 1865-90

and also,

1491 by Charles Mann.

What's everyone else reading, and hopefully enjoying.

message 2: by Dina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Dina LOL, yah I am "slogging through" The River of Doubt. About Teddy Roosevelt's adventures down the Amazon. Yipes, sometimes history can be written so dryly.

message 3: by Patrick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Patrick | 8 comments I am reading THE DEVIL SOLDIER about an American mercenary who helped the Manchus fight rebels during the Taiping rebellion of the 1860's. Pretty good non-fiction book by Caleb Carr, who wrote the historical crime fiction bestsellers THE ALIENIST and THE ANGEL OF DARKNESS after he wrote this book.

1491 is in my future, as my brother just finished it and is giving to me when I visit him at Christmas. My brother also read River of Doubt and really enjoyed it.

message 4: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Rindis | 10 comments Right now, I'm reading The Histories by Herodotus. It's the Penguin Classic translation, which is very good.

And, I got stuck waiting in a car with a stack of just bought used books the other day, so I'm also reading Bruce Catton's This Hallowed Ground, his one-volume history of the Civil War. (And, as always with Catton, a treat to read.)

message 5: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Butler's book isn't dry so much as she is grinding that 1980's feminist ax. A little more subtlety would have greatly improved the book.

message 6: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Hey Patrick, got your message and will respond when I get a second to compose my thoughts.

Btw, I read the Alienist some time ago, but remember enjoying it. Carr is a good writer.

message 7: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Evening Rindis,

I adore Penguins. Their translations are almost always excellent, and somehow less dry than Loebs.

And as for "The Histories", its a good read, isn't it.

message 8: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Rindis | 10 comments And this last weekend I got another two (total: four). History of the Pelopensian War and The Fall of Athens. (I think I'm going to be vacationing in Ancient Greece for some time to come....)

I found the Penguin Historia Francorum/History of the Franks to be a slog much of the time. But I think that's just Gregory, not the translator.

It was also interesting to look at my Dad's copy of Herodotus. It's a Penguin edition from the '70s. A bit smaller than the current versions, and a non-glossy cover.

message 9: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments I loved "History of the Franks" but that was a prime area of study for me. And to tell you the truth I had to read it more than once before the names, families, and politics started to jell for me.

I thought it was interesting that there was so much fratricide. In fact, that they were just a violent people.

You might like the Helmskringla by Snorre Sturlason, although it's a huge book. I read it off and on for over a year. Lots of nice Viking history. [Not a Penguin ;]

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew  | 7 comments Stonewall Jackson; The man, The Soldier, The legend.

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 8 comments matthew, is that the long book by James Robertson? If so, that's a great book! If not, who is the author?

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew  | 7 comments Yes it is by James Robertson.

message 13: by Mike (last edited Dec 14, 2007 07:28AM) (new)

Mike | 9 comments Matthew, another great Stonewall Jackson book you might be interested in: Lost Victories: The Military Genius of Stonewall Jackson.

message 14: by Rindis (new)

Rindis | 10 comments Thepam, missed your reply until now. -_-; I may have to look up Helmskringla.

Merovingnian Francia ended up as a study area for me, as a friend ended up writing a historical fantasy set in that period.
http://www.backbreaker.com/current_pr...

It's an interesting period that just doesn't get enough coverage in English. Geary's Before France and Germany is good, and I really recommend Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000 to anyone who would like a good overview of the end of the Roman Empire and 'dark ages' until the start of the traditional Middle Ages. I've read it three times now, and keep meaning to pick up more of Collins' books.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Hey Rindis,

I am not finding the first website you noted. Goodreads cut it short, and when I type in the www-part it's not coming up either.

Can you give me a author name?

And thanks also for the Collin's reference. I'm going to add him to my TBR list.

message 16: by Rindis (new)

Rindis | 10 comments Backbreaker was down part of yesterday. Just click on it, Goodreads just displays parts of URLs, but they're clickable links.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Rindis, would it be wrong to say that this series looks really cute.

[btw- I know some people you would definitely look at it seriously. I sent them the link. Thanks]

message 18: by Pam (last edited Dec 16, 2007 10:30AM) (new)

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee (pam_t) | 48 comments Just starting "Stealing Indian Women : Native Slavery in the Illinois Country" by Carl Ekberg.

message 19: by Rindis (new)

Rindis | 10 comments It wouldn't be wrong at all! I hope people read and enjoy!

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 28 comments The spirit of Seventy-Six, a collection of primary sources from all sides of the revolution.

message 21: by Staci (new)

Staci (annastacia) I am finishing Reading Lolita in Tehran - not strictly historical, but I think it is.