Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Setting Field

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 36711 comments Mod
I would leave the setting blank.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That seems reasonable.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Good question.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I would take the setting field gently by the hand, lead it out the back and put it out of its misery.

message 5: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments SF SQRL wrote: "I would take the setting field gently by the hand, lead it out the back and put it out of its misery."

I really like the setting field; I just wish it wasn't so restrictive.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I think it's flawed in conception, tbh.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Squirrel, I'm with you.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments I'm with Squirrel and Rivka. I did like it ok when it was free form and we could type in the setting(s) we wanted but I never used it much.

message 9: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments I add setting to every book I read, but I do agree it needs to be improved. Saying a book takes place in the United States doesn't really tell a person anything.

It would be a helpful field for some readers if it could be improved. I know people who like to read historical westerns, others who like ones set in the South. And whatnot. So having that kind of information available, and "searchable" would be nice. Because as it is, it's not very useful.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil (notacat) | 37 comments It's particularly unhelpful for Science Fiction and Fantasy novels. It doesn't have an entry for "Middle Earth" or "The Liaden Universe" or "Mars", just to grab the first few off the top of my head.

message 11: by A.M. (new)

A.M. (amharte) | 9 comments I hardly ever use the Setting field for all the reasons listed above!

Only if a book is clearly in one setting, and that setting is particularly relevant to the reader, do I insert it.

Perhaps the setting field should be coded the same way the author field is, so multiple settings can be included, as well as imaginary places?

I'm guessing this discussion should also be shifted over to the Feedback Group.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There's already a topic there about it, as I recall.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I think there are several!