Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Dinner with Dave

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I just spent the afternoon and had dinner with our own Dave Russell in Escondido. Yippee! We wandered around the Barnes & Noble looking at Nabokov and poetry, and Dave pondered which edition of Gilgamesh he should get!
The guy knows his classics, while I kept trying to drag us all over to SF and teen literature. I'm SO not high brow in my reading tastes.
It was really great to get to know Dave, who is shy but still answered all my questions about his job, his family, and his plans for the future. You're such a good sport, Dave!
Pictures were taken, but I won't be able to get them up until I get home, so you all will just have to wait.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Oh, you beat me to the computer.

Let me just tell everyone that meeting Jackie is an experience I can't recommend more highly. When you meet her she gives you this really really nice card which she had-painted herself (picture to come) and then she and her husband buy you dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant. And they don't even mind if you have the conversational skills of a retarded billy goat. Believe me, you will have the best time.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, is that what the bleating was all about, Dave? I thought it was just a commentary on your dinner. ;)

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Oh, and please apologize for me to Chris for biting him on the hand. I thought he was going for the last chip, but in retrospect it was really bad manners on my part.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No worries, Dave. It's not like you drew blood. ;)

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:01AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn! You were talking about Gilgamesh? I love Gilgamesh. I never get to talk with anyone about Gilgamesh.

I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilgamesh-Engli...

I like this one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilgamesh-Verse...

I'm jealous of you all getting to hang out. I'm glad you had a great time...

(I would have bit him too, Dave...)

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Cool, thanks RA. I was about to buy the Gardner translation, only because John Gardner was a writer I was familiar with. I'm glad I changed my mind.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 19, 2009 11:12AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know the Gardner one well...that one might be good, too, Dave...:) I know some people speak well of it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Fun!

message 10: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments Is visiting Jackie now like the Hajj? Everyone in this group has to see her at least once in a liftime?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

West Coast is the best coast! We like to party down with librarians.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Tambo? WTF? You're not in your AV! I'm shocked.
I love when GR friends meet in person. :D

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I believe that's her doing yoga on a mountain.

Cyril, she came to see me (actually to see her husband's grandfather, but I'm pretending,) so I'm Mecca in your metaphor. Everyone must see ME!

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 19, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

I AM in my AV! That's me on Dog Mountain.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I didn't enlarge it enough, I thought it was like a manatee in the ocean. HAHAHAHAHAHA
*makes note to call eye doctor for check-up*

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you saying I look like a sea cow?

I've met ten goodreaders face-to-face that I can think of.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Speaking of avs, Lori, I saw that Wyeth at the NY MOMA a year ago. It was perty.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Cyril wrote: "Is visiting Jackie now like the Hajj? Everyone in this group has to see her at least once in a liftime?"

Yes, that's right, Cyril. When can I pencil you in for a visit?

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You have to walk around Jackie's house five times, and then throw rocks at it, just like the real Hajj.

:)

message 20: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jan 20, 2009 12:59PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What, wait... rocks? No no no no no...

This just in: There's been a modification, due to my librarian status. Instead of rocks, you must throw bookmarks.
Of course, before you come you must ritually clear your conscience by paying any library fines you have outstanding.

message 21: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I paid my fines last week, Jackie! Woot!

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am waiting OH SO PATIENTLY for Jackie's new hair pics.

Oh so patiently.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You will have to wait until tomorrow at least, RA, because I can't download my photos until I get home, and am on my own computer.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you like your new hair?

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I'll see it tonight and write a full report.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Okay, I'm home, and have uploaded my vacation photos onto my computer. And now, Dinner with Dave at El Galéon:

[image error]

message 27: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Thanks for everything Jackie. I had a great time on Sunday and Friday.

message 28: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yay Dave & Jackie!

Mmmmm, chips & salsa...

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Mindy, you and I sure think alike. I was this close to commenting on the chips and salsa!

message 30: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Larry, if you ever come to Mobile ('cause ain't no way I'm coming to Omaha) we can go on a chips and salsa rampage at all my favorite Mexican places!

Now, I think I'm gonna have to go have Mexican for lunch.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

message 32: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell When I get nervous (as I always do when talking with people I just met) I start fidgeting, so after dinner, I'm sure Jackie and Chris kept thinking to themselves, "Why does he keep stirring the salsa over and over with that plastic spoon?"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The salsa stirring was mesmerizing, Dave.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments As long as he didn't double dip ....

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Were you guys sad that I wasn't there? Did you know that I'm a megolomaniac?

message 36: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) You guys posted this while I was in the hospital. Dave, you're in Escondido? How long have you lived there? I grew up there. I was born in Palomar hospital. I went to Rose Elementary, Grant Junior High and Orange Glen High. I have fond memories of cruising Valley Blvd. with my friends and seeing Tommy about 12 times at the theater in the Vineyard shopping center. We go to Escondido a couple times a year to visit my Grandma.

I'm so glad I don't live there anymore. ;)

message 37: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I actually live in San Diego, in North Park. Jackie's husband's family lives in Escondido so I made the trip up there. I know Palomar Hospital and of course Valley Blvd. I'm not sure where the Vineyard shopping center is, though.

Sarah, your absence cast a deep pall over the whole thing.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, it was all we could do to keep up a façade of good cheer, without YOU there, Sarah. ;)

I do wish GoodReaders didn't live so far apart, because getting together with Sarah last year, and with Dave last week, was a blast!

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 25, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

You just gotta get on a plane. Don't worry about affording it.

I'm going to Chicago in February and I'm going to meet a lot of goodreaders, there. I'm going to New York for Spring Break and I'm going to meet Alfonso (goodreader). Goodreaders rule.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

And Alfonso is going to make me a full Domican (and vegetarian) meal! Kick ass!

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori Just don't start talking like him!

myaha, he isn't a member here, we can talk trash about him, myahaha. And I don't have my comments go to the update page, so he'll never see it. MYAHAHAHA!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

You'd be surprised to hear his real voice/accent. It sounds quite different than I expected.

Ope. And I think you mean, "GUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori lol! lol! See, you already DO talk like him!

What does his voice sound like? I adore Alfonso, I'm jealous you'll meet him. :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

His voice sounds Alfonsish.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.