Writer's Paradise discussion

Prompts > Character Troubles?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:22PM) (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 727 comments Mod
Are you having trouble with your characters? Are they just not coming to life? Do you know nothing about them?

Well post your characters' names here, along with a basic description of the setting/plot of your story (enough to get an idea of the genre, so nobody will ask about superpowers in a realistic fiction story or something like that). Then somebody will probe you with questions about your characters (probably me...) and you must answer them to find out about your characters.

Here are a few questions to start you off, if you don't feel like posting here:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 2: by Paige (last edited Jan 18, 2009 03:03PM) (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ooooh... me likey.. :D

I'm working on this new story, and I'm trying to learn more about Gwen, my MC. Here's some info about her.

Name: Gwen
Time Frame: Future (approximately 50 years from now)
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Adventure

message 3: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (last edited Jan 18, 2009 03:44PM) (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Hmmm ... what are her interests? Does she drink her coffee with cream, sugar, black? How does she shake peoples hands, assertive, defensive, offensive? What are her major fears? Goals? Aspirations? Does she work at home, have a nasty boss, own her own company? What's her favorite store? Does she like pineapple on her pizza?

message 4: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Oh, I need help figuring out my character..
I've already got 12 chapters that she's been in, but you don't really know her personality that much..

Name: Charlotte
Extras: Okay, so right now she's an immortal creature that I made up.
~Loves her siblings
~Isn't much of a risk-taker
~Nervous at times, but speaks up when she needs to help a friend

message 5: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Okay, who are her friends? What goals do they share? Are they good friends? Have they been friends for a long time? Is she superstitous? Afraid of her own shadow? Or does she just fear the unknown? Has she always had a tie to her family? Was there some accident that brought her closer to them? What is her favorite thing to do with her family?

message 6: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Am I supposed to answer that here? ><
Or is that just something for me to ponder on...
(yes, I am a blonde)

message 7: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

*shrugs* If it helps you to type it out. These are some ideas to think on. Go ahead. The floor is yours.

message 8: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Her friends: Ah well..she doesn't really have many..(more like one or two)

Goals they share: To survive college...?

Are they good friends: You could say that..

Have they been friends for a long time: Nah, for like a week or two

Is she superstitious: Nope

Is she afraid of her own shadow: No, unless it starts talking to her ^^

Has she always had a tie to her family: Yep

Was there some accident that brought them closer: Actually, when her siblings (Seth and ROsemarie) became immortal creatures, they left Charlotte behind until she was old enough to become one herself

What is her favorite thing to do with her family: She hasn't seen them in 5 years, so she hasn't done much with them...

message 9: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Okay, that makes things interesting.

What are her friends names? Does she love hanging around with them? Is she good at her classes in college? What job does she hope to get? Does she currently work somewhere? What kind of immortal creature is she? Are there special regulations for immortals? How do they keep mortals from finding out they don't die? Has anyone ever found out? Was her reunion with her family uncomfortable, or was it easy?

message 10: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Was this one for me or her?

Oh... I just read the post... obviously 4 her... *blushes*

message 11: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

LOL, post 3 was for you. But you can use it to if any of the questions help you.

message 12: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Friend(s) names: Uh...Jack

Does she like hanging out with them: Yep

Is she good at her classes in college: Straight A student

What job does she hope to get: She doesn't exactly care

Does she currently work somewhere: Nope

What kind of immortal creature is she: Well, she's of my own design, but she's a demon of sorts

Are there special regulations: Only one rule; Never tell an immortal or they and you will die

How do you keep mortals finding out that they don't die: They genrally tend to stay in hiding, but if needed, they move frequently.

Has anyone ever found out: One person, but the Founding Five tend to not tell anyone about it

Was her reunion with her family uncomfortable, or was it easy: Easy

message 13: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Has anyone died because they were told? Who are the Founding Five? What powers do they hold over the other immortals? Do they have to pay for the moves? What kind of demon is she? Does she have any special abilities? Does she enjoy college? What kinds of things does she do with her friends?

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Kenzie wrote: "LOL, post 3 was for you. But you can use it to if any of the questions help you."

Okay I answered... I'll put it down here, though so you don't have to scroll back through.

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Interests: ???????????????????

Coffee: Black

Shakes hand: Assertive, I guess....

Fears: She lives in a world where everything, everything, is based on beauty. That's all anyone thinks, talks or hears about. She is afraid of getting sucked into the madness. And, secretly, she's afraid of losing her prettiness.

Goals/Aspirations: ???????? As far as I know, she doesn't have any

Work: I haven't decided how old she is (Somewhere between 14-19) but she doesn't work.

Fav Store: They don't really have "stores". I'd explain, but it's complicated.

Pizza: She LOVES Pineapple on her pizza. :D (i do too... yum!)

message 16: by Just Plain Ray (last edited Jan 18, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Has anyone died because they were told: Well, let's just say that guy faced a very gruesome death...

Who are the Founding Five: The founding five is a group of five of the oldest immortals in the world. Their main place of stay is in Greece on Mount Olympia.

What powers do they hold over other immortals: Well, they are very intimidating, and three of them actually have powers-
Leandros(the leader), can will things to do his bidding
Haytham(the youngest along with his twin sister, Gavina), can change blood into water, and vice-versa
and Dugald(Leandros' right hand man), is fire-resistant

Do they have to pay for the moves: Yes

What kind of demon is she: It's kinda hard to explain..

Does she have any special abilities: Nope

Does she enjoy college: She thinks it so-so

What kinds of things does she do with ehr friends: Regular teenage stuff...

message 17: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Does she drink coffee regularly? A cup every day? Just in the morning? Does it help her sleep? Does she enjoy boardgames? Does she feel the need to take control over everyone? Does she put herself out there? Is she shy? Outgoing? What's her idea of a perfect day? Are her parents pretty? Was she born pretty? Or did she make herself that way? Does she always eat her pizza with pineapple? Does she have any friends? How old are her friends? Why is she friends with them?

message 18: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments I'm guessing that's for Tink...

message 19: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Yeah. Post 13 was for you. Would you like me to put your names at the top so you know?

message 20: by Just Plain Ray (last edited Jan 18, 2009 04:20PM) (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Nah, and I posted answers on Post 16 *points*

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I guess I'm just having trouble with appearance. Here's the character:

Name: Cecile
Species: Vampire
Origin: France

message 22: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Rayana

About how old are the Founding Five? Do they talk to other immortals, or do they hide away and keep to themselves? Do people know their history? (Cool powers by the way) How do they get enough money to pay? Do they work regular jobs? Do they get money from the Founding Five? Do demons like her normally have special abilities? If so, why doesn't she? Does she know why? How come she doens't like college very much? Has she had problems there? Is she an outsider? Are her friends immortal as well? If not, are any of them onto her immortal secret?

message 23: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Oh, well. I've decided I'll put them there. Just in case.

message 24: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Ephona

What do the other vampires in the book look like? Are there any more? Does he have a favorite color, maybe he dyes his hair that way? Did he keep his original eye color, or did they change red/black/brown/green/yellow/etc? Is he pale white? Or did he keep his human coloring? Has he ever dyed his hair? Does he work out? Is he active? What's his favorite sport?

message 25: by Just Plain Ray (last edited Jan 18, 2009 04:29PM) (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments About how old are the Founding Five?
Well, they range from one thousand to three hundred years old

Do they talk to other immortals, or do they hide away and keep to themselves?
They talk to them only if its something important

Do people know their history?
Immortals, yes. Mortals, the ones that live near Mount Olympia have superstitions about a curse placed on the mountain, so they made up a history

How do they get enough money to pay?
Some get jobs. Some just steal

Do they work regular jobs?
As above, some do.

Do they get money from the Founding Five?
Nope.

Do demons like her normally have special abilities?
Usually not, it’s a very rare chance for someone to have a power

If so, why doesn't she?
I don’t know…

Does she know why?
Nobody does.

How come she doesn't like college very much?
She does, but she’s doesn’t think much of it

Has she had problems there?
No

Is she an outsider?
You could say that

Okay no more questions….for her at least

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) First of all, it's a she
Second of all, she is pale and has red eyes.
I still need to figure out the hair color...it's between black and brown

message 27: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Okay, Rayana. Do you have another character you need help with?

message 28: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Sorry, Ephona. I didn't know. I apologize.

Which color suits her better? Does she seem more like a brunette? Or does she appear more black?

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Lol tis okay

I'll have to think about that one. But I think I've almost got it down. Thanks for the help ^_^

message 30: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Possibly, for my new story...

Name: Max
Extra: Thinks deeply about an issue that concerns him
~Somewhat popular at school(most people know his name)
~Smart, and LOVES to read
~*clears throat* Is um...homosexual

message 31: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments do you need help with appearance? anyhow: what is his favorite color? Does it suit him? If it doesn't what color does? What style of hair does he have? What color is it? What are the shape of his eyes? Race?

Ryan
Male
Extra:Kian's nurse when she get the flu (in her time thats like the Boubonic Plauge) Also Lacole's new boyfriend

but other than that I don't know anything about him!

message 32: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Eh, I don't need help with appearance

But thanks, though! :]

message 33: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments lolz i was confused and reading the original fairytales which are MUCh better than the Disney ones.

message 34: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Hmmm, I think that I will add something to my writings, that are lists of questions to ask about characters. Anyone can feel free to utilize them. I will have them in different catergories. You can suggest things to add on if you want.

message 35: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Okay, Rayana!

Does Max have a crush on anybody? If yes, what is his name, and what is he like?
Does he often have girls chasing him about?
Does he act shy/quiet in class? Does he act shy/quiet outside of class?
Does he have siblings? How many, what genders, how old? If so, does he have a good relationship with them? If they are the right age to go to the same school, does he have any classes with them, and does he act different in those classes?
What is his favorite genre?
He likes to read, but does he also like to write at all? If so, is he a poem person, short story perosn, novel person?
Does he like tea? Does he like coffee?
Does he have any allergies (food, animals, etc.)?
Does he have a pet? If so, what kind? Dog, cat, fish, hampster/gerbil, hermit crab (if you don't know, those things are REALLY smelly!) tarantula, snake?
Does he live with both parents? If no, are they separated, divorced, or is one of them widowed? How does he get along with his parent(s)?
Does he speak another language? Is he learning to speak another language?
What is his religion? Does he actually practice it? Or does he not have a religion? Perhaps agnostic?
Does he ever have mood swings? If so, are they mild or severe?
Is he the type to accidentally walk into walls, or is he graceful enough to be mistaken for a dancer? Or somewhere in between?

message 36: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Oi vey...
I'll um...post this later on my writing.. ^^

message 37: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

I added a link to the first post. It contains several questions already, and will continue to grow over time, as questions to ask are endless.

message 38: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Does she drink coffee regularly? A cup every day? Just in the morning? Does it help her sleep?
Gwen drinks coffee a cup a day, wheneever times she wants, and yes.
Does she enjoy boardgames?
No, that's not really her thing.
Does she feel the need to take control over everyone?
She's a medium. She's not a control freak, but she likes to be in charge.
Does she put herself out there? Is she shy? Outgoing?
Umm... I guess outgoing. Maybe somewhere in between.
What's her idea of a perfect day?
A rainy, cloudy day. No sunshine.
Are her parents pretty?
Somewhat. There closer to pretty than to ugly.
Was she born pretty? Or did she make herself that way?
She was born pretty.
Does she always eat her pizza with pineapple?
Yes, ALWAYS!!
Does she have any friends? How old are her friends? Why is she friends with them?
Not yet...*rubs palms together evilly* BUT SHE WILL!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Name: Jamie/Ashlyn
Settting/info: Mostly lives in a Mansion on the coastline, her dad's rich, and there's secrets all around her, but no one will tell her the truth.

message 40: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments What does she look like? Does she like to rollerskcate? What's her favorite sport? Does she have a boyfriend? Does she have friends? Who are they? What color is her room? Does she drink coffee? Does she surf? What's her favorite food?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

1. She's got blonde hair, and it's like past her shoulders. She has brown eyes, and is 12/13/14 throughout the last 2 books.
2. Um, i'm not sure if she does, it's probably more rollerblading though.
3. Her favorite sport would probably be to play soccer, but to watch football.
4. No she doesn't have a boyfriend. XD more of a friend that's a guy.
5. She has friends, Maddi, Maddie, Brooklyn, Sarah, Miranda, and Chase. And much more than that, I gotta expand on that a little.
6. Her room is like Brown, green and blue. She has windows for walls on one side of her room, and is very exotic and tropical person.
7. She doesn't like Coffee.
8. Hmm, never thought of the surfing, but that could totally work!
9. Her favorite food . . . I guess it might change, but I think It's Barbecued Chicken.

message 42: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments kewl! hmm...

What do her parents look like? How rich is rich, like millionareish or less than that? Does she have any siblings? Who does she talk to the most in her life? Does she like animals? Democrat or Republican? Favorite color? Race? Ethnicity? Favorite weather?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

1. She only has a dad, and he has black hair, and is very muscular and built.
2. Like Millionarish, to billionarish. He found 7 treasure chests full of gold, rubies, etc.
3. No she doesn't have any siblings.
4. She talks mostly to Maddi, and her nanny who is basically a mom that isn't related to her, Maggie.
5. Um, idk if she likes animals, I guess yeah.
6. Republican.
7. Fave color would be from sea blue to purple. and from green to kaki
8. White.
9. Favorite Weather would be basically the sun and rain, depending on the mood she's in.

message 44: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments okay, cool!

Does she have a cell phone? What kind? Does she text? What happpened to her mom? Does she listen to music? What kinds? What's her favorite shade of nail polish? Favorite place to go? Has she ever had a boyfriend? Favorite type of candy? Flower? Hairstlye?

message 45: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 464 comments Name: Tempus Fidgets
Setting/info: Uh, she used to work for Resurrecters, she lives in D.C

message 46: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Seth

What's her favorite color? Car? Does she ever get her nails done when she isn't ressurecting? What's her middle name? What color is her hair? Does she have a favorite sport?

message 47: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 464 comments Name: Chans Dentin
Setting/info: IDK where he lives, he has lightning powers

message 48: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 464 comments Color: Green
Car: Mark's
Nails: NEVER
Middle Name: I can't remember if I gave her one . . .
Hair: Red
Sport: Uh, basketball

message 49: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Seth

How old is Chans? Is he a superhero or a villan? Does he have friends? Who are they? What are his interests? What does he look like? Does he have a family? Who? Does he have pets? Is he immortal?

message 50: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 464 comments Age: 13-14
S vs. V: Neither; he just discovered his powers
Friends: No . . .
Interests: Playing video games and sleeping
Looks: IDK
Famliy: Yes
Family: Sister Caroline, mom
Pets: No
Immortality: Not even close

« previous 1