Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > erin's 50 - an ode to not letting your job own your life

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by erin buchanan (last edited Jan 17, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments I spend more time at work than I do at home (I'm an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Mississippi). I forget that journal articles are not that only things that exist and that there is good writing out there (since students can't always do it!).

This is to make myself do it and cut back on the number of "to-reads" on my list. I read about 6/8 books over the holidays, but that feels like cheating since I wasn't working, so I'll start with what I just finished and go from there! :)

message 2: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments January:
1: The Host A Novel - Stephenie Meyer

message 3: by Dini (new)

Dini erin, I love the title of your thread! It's always good to read something for ourselves once in a while :)

message 4: by Nadya (new)

Nadya (nanaissance) | 51 comments hi erin! :D the subtitle of your thread catches my attention, since i've been working as an editor. So i have to read a lot.

Nice to know you.

message 5: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Thanks! I think I would go crazy being an editor...reading student papers is enough for me! :)
Dini - I told myself when I was done with grad school, I had to start reading again. Grad school is why I own about 70 unread books.

January:
2: The Alchemyst - Michael Scott

message 6: by erin buchanan (new)

3: Death With Interruptions - Jose Saramago

message 7: by erin buchanan (new)

4: Midnight Sun - Stephenie Meyer

message 8: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments January
5:The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

message 9: by Barbie (new)

Barbie erin, i'm so jealous! how was The Graveyard Book. is it everything its supposed to be?? i still can't get my hands on a copy.

message 10: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments It's awesomeness. It just won the Newberry! :) I loved it, couldn't put it down. It's like a kids version of neverwhere. It's a winner.

message 11: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments February
6: The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon

wow, just wow.

message 12: by erin buchanan (new)

7: Coraline - Neil Gaiman

Had to get it read before the movie came out! It was great.

message 13: by Dini (new)

Dini I'm going to get to Coraline soon! Just got it from a library last week :)

message 14: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments yay! I think we are going to see it next weekend (have to drive to Memphis - Oxford doesn't have a 3d theater.) Supposedly the 3D version isn't going to be out that long. Boo.

February:
8: Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

I just read she's from Tunica! That's right down the road from here, crazy.

message 15: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) You are counting Midnight Sun? LOL, I am trying not to read it until it's done and published!

What did you think about The Host?

message 16: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Aprile wrote: "You are counting Midnight Sun? LOL, I am trying not to read it until it's done and published!

What did you think about The Host?"

Of course! It's almost 300 pages! I don't know that she's going to finish it. From the looks of her website, she's not. It was incredibly cool. I mean, I wasn't that into twilight (the first, I liked the 3rd and 4th) but it was especially interesting to read the story from his point of view. That's why I like Ender's Game (orson scott card) and Ender's Shadow so much. One story, two points of view. Cool stuff.

The host - I enjoyed it, but it took a while for me to get into it. About 300 pages or so. The detail is amazing and the story is great.

message 17: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments February:
9: The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall

Unbelievably good.

I had cory help me pick my next book by selecting a shelf number and then a book number of my unread books :) 4 and 4 apparently gets you mirror mirror by gregory macguire.

message 18: by erin buchanan (new)

10:Mirror Mirror A Novel - Gregory Maguire

Eh, it was ok. To Faulkner-esque for my tastes.

message 19: by erin buchanan (new)

11: Lullaby - Chuck Palahnuik.

God I love Palahnuik books, it's a bad addiction of mine.

message 20: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments February:
12: Dark Angel - L.J. Smith

Technically it's a re-read, but it's been so long since I've read it I couldn't remember what it was about at all.

message 21: by Melanie (last edited Feb 28, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

Melanie | 487 comments erin wrote: "February

God I love Palahnuik books, it's a bad addiction of mine."

Hi Erin,
I have only read Lullaby by him and liked it. Which others would you recommend?

message 22: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Melanie wrote: "erin wrote: "February

God I love Palahnuik books, it's a bad addicti..."

All of them? Lullaby is tamer than some of the other ones "gross-wise". Choke was my least favorite. I'd suggest Survivor first, then Diary and Invisible monsters. Choke/Rant I would save if you can handle those. They get pretty graphically disturbing.

March
13: Neverwhere A Novel - Neil Gaiman.

Another re-read but it was for book club. Amazing again as usual.

message 23: by Dini (new)

Dini What about Fight Club? Of course I got interested in it after watching the movie.

message 24: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Dini wrote: "What about Fight Club? Of course I got interested in it after watching the movie."

I haven't actually read Fight Club...I bought it but haven't gotten around to it. I'm afraid I won't like it because I saw the movie first. I would also recommend Stranger Than Fiction - which is a bunch of non-fiction short stories about his life. Makes his work more interesting to know where a lot of it came from.

March 14:
Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris

Sookie books are so much fun!

message 25: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) erin wrote: "February

Eh, it was ok. To Faulkner-es..."

I wasn't a huge fan either. I won't be reading anymore of his books.

message 26: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Aprile wrote: "erin wrote: "February

Eh, it was ok...."

I mean it was ok. I love the idea of those books but not the undertaking of them. I think I'm still going to try wicked though.

message 27: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) If you do.... push through the first part cause it is slow as hell. Once you get to school it is a lot better.

message 28: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments March
15: Eldest - Christopher Paolini
16: Club Dead - Charlaine Harris

message 29: by erin buchanan (new)

17: The Magician - Michael Scott

message 30: by erin buchanan (new)

18: The Steampunk Trilogy - Paul Di Filippo

message 31: by erin buchanan (new)

19: My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands - Chelsea Handler
20: The Awakening - LJ Smith - reread...I bought the new one and am rereading the old ones first.

message 32: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments April
21: Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

message 33: by erin buchanan (new)

22: In the Woods - Tana French

23: Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

message 34: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments 24: The Struggle - L.J. Smith - another re-read.

message 35: by erin buchanan (last edited Apr 19, 2009 05:05PM) (new)

25: Blue Bloods - Melissa De La Cruz

message 37: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Mary Todd wrote: "
"

Thanks! The end of school is looming - meaning no reading for two weeks, but then glorious summer!

message 38: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments April:

26: Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
This novel was amazing. I picked it up for book club: I don't think I would have read this one on my own. I thought it was going to be horrible because of the topic (horrible meaning hard to stomach) but it was actually very, very good. I couldn't put it down. Great read.

27: Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris

Another good Sookie book (who's not getting that much action in the latter part of the series!)

message 39: by Dini (new)

Dini There's a Battle Royale movie, I believe. Don't know if it's based on the book or the book was based on the movie, though.

message 40: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Based on the book- it's also a manga series. I can't imagine how crazy the movie is, the book is pretty nuts.

April:
28: The Fury - LJ Smith.
Another re-read so I can read the new one. They go so fast!

message 41: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (msenesac) Hey Erin.. you've inspired me to take the same challenge! So, thanks! I loved the Sookie books as well... so I requested some of the other books that you have read.

message 42: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Meagan wrote: "Hey Erin.. you've inspired me to take the same challenge! So, thanks! I loved the Sookie books as well... so I requested some of the other books that you have read."

Whoo-hoo! Glad to have you join - a lot of what I'm churning through right now is fantasy based - and a lot of vampire novels so read some LJ Smith if you like Sookie or Stephenie Meyer.

message 43: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments May
29: Dark Reunion - LJ Smith

yet another re-read so that I may read the new one - currently attacking that!

message 44: by erin buchanan (new)

30: M Is for Magic - Neil Gaiman - Feel like I've read this before...or maybe because I've read the other two short story collections they felt the same.

31:Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris
32:All Together Dead - Charlaine Harris

More sookie!

message 45: by erin buchanan (new)

33: From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Harris

message 46: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments May and June:
34: The Gunslinger - Stephen King
35: The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King
36: The Waste Lands
37: Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris

message 47: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (msenesac) Erin, what did you think of Dead and Gone?

message 48: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments Meagan wrote: "Erin, what did you think of Dead and Gone?"

Dead and Gone was great! I felt a little disappointed after the 6ish (maybe 5 maybe 7) book because it was too all over the place. She had a wolf war and problems with the panthers and vampire this and arlene that and I can't keep up too much is going on. However, Dead and Gone was more like the first couple, very straightforward, one big plot line building to a conclusion. I am excited there's another one coming out in October (and true blood is this week!). Plus I'm very much team Eric, which is featured in Dead and Gone.

June:
38: Empire of the Sun - JG Ballard

Book club read!

message 49: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (msenesac) I think the book coming out in October is the compilation set of the whole series thus far... not a brand new book. I actually thought that Dead and Gone was a little all over the place. She started it off with the issue of the weres coming out- and I think that would have made a great story. But it ended up not having to do with anything. I also think that Quinn was randomly thrown in (and I LOVE Quinn).
I had other, smaller issues with it... I guess I was expecting much more.

I can't WAIT until True Blood starts this Sunday!

message 50: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 460 comments Congratulations on 38 books Erin! You are doing great!

« previous 1