The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > What to read after "I Capture the Castle"

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mosca (last edited Jan 17, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Mosca | 828 comments One of the familiar feelings one gets after reading a really enjoyable book is the loss you feel after it is over.

I've just finished reading "I Capture the Castle" and am in that mood. What a treat this book was.

Does anyone who has read and loved that book have any suggestions for the next read.

Thanks in advance.

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) I'm not ashamed to say that Simon Cotton is my ultimate literary crush. I love that man. :)

ICTC is one of my favorite books, so I will recommend some of my other favorites to you, Mosca.

Run with the Horsemen along with the other two books in, what I call, the Porter Osborne Trilogy by Ferrol Sams.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Anne of Green Gables books by L.M. Montgomery

and

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

These are just a few off the top of my head.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 41 comments Count me in too.....The Castle Captured me!!! I'm glad you can get it again with the original cover and not the ghastly photo one they tried to sell for a while.

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) I've chosen not to see the movie only because I know, in my head, exactly what Simon Cotton is supposed to look like, and I don't want the image I have of him to be erased by the actor who portrays him.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I love I Capture the Castle!

I'll recommend Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. The storyline is similar - two sisters(actually stepsisters), two brothers, the favorite brother of the heroine falls for the other sister. The setting is still England but the time period is further back. It was written way back when and moves slower but I LOVED it!

message 6: by Mary (last edited Jan 21, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 41 comments I highly highly recommend the trio series called "The Cazalet Chronicle" by Elizabeth Jane Howard.

book #1 The Light Years 0671527932
book #2 Marking Time 06715279400
book #3 Confusion 0671527967

These are just so good I will never give them away.....and plan to read them again.

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) Mary, I thought I'd let you know that the book links link to the wrong books. (Say that three times fast. :))

I've added the first book to my TBR list.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OMG when I saw the title to this thread, I immediately thought of Fiona. I read it too and enjoyed it (while Fiona cheered me along)...

*sings: they call us the pushers*

message 9: by Mary (last edited Jan 21, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 41 comments Angie.....thanks for the heads up....I fixed it but will do it just one more time....
they are that good!

Cazolet Chronicle

book #1 The Light Years 0671527932
book #2 Marking Time 06715279400
book #3 Confusion 0671527967

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne (theoneanne) | 3 comments It's all about Cold Comfort Farm. :)