Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Can we change covers for already uploaded books?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Jason What if one edition of a book is already uploaded with a cover thumbnail and I, as a librarian, would prefer another cover? Can we change the cover? Or do the people who first uploaded the book get priority?

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Well, I changed one cover that was incorrect; I deleted it and uploaded the correct cover.

If you're sure your cover is a legitimate one, you might check the book edit info as most of the covers are supplied not by Goodreads users but Amazon, Amazon.uk, etc.

Don't think this really answers your question.

If both covers are "correct" maybe you could manually add your own edtion with its cover and then combine editions?

I don't know the official answer here - just some thoughts.

message 3: by MikeS (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

MikeS (mothslayer) | 5 comments As I understand our responsibility as librarians here (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), the only reason to edit an entry is to include additional information not already in the record, or make corrections on information that is inaccurate.

Unfortunately, I don't think personal preference alone is reason enough to change a record.

However, Jason, if there is a completely different cover for a title I would do as Lisa mentioned and create 'new' edition and then combine it with other editions. I'm all for having the different covers represented.

Again, this is just how I understand it.

message 4: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Jason Okay, that clarifies things. Thankyou.

message 5: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Rindis | 20 comments Here's a thread that talks about a book getting multiple covers for the same edition:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...
(To get an idea of some known places where it does happen.)

I also have a shelf on my profile called "second-cover", which tracks anything where I know I have a different cover than the (apparently correct) one shown.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) | 12 comments I hear you Jason. I come across that a lot with the classics, such as Penguin editions, as they use the same ISBN but with different covers. I can manually create a new book so I can include my edition's cover, but I have to leave out the ISBN because it's "not unique".