Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Librarian Notes are Live

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments You can now add a librarian note to an author's edit page. It's pretty nice. Nothing on the combine book page yet, unfortunately, but good for those who need to add notes about the style of an author name or info.

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 590 comments Cool.

Do we have a list of things that require librarian notes, or is this more an "as needed" feature?

I recall one of our big examples in asking for the feature was a way to say don't combine certain collections of short stories.

message 3: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Hmm...nice feature, but I'm not sure about the implementation.

I added a note to an author saying auto-combine shouldn't be used because some books incorrectly combine...and it doesn't show up anywhere useful. The only place to see it is on the edit profile page. Which means anyone going to the combine page isn't going to see it.

Same with book notes. You can add it to the book on the edit page, but a lot of people just work from the combine page. They won't see not to combine something from there and it won't help prevent the errors a lot of us are coming across.

So yeah...good in theory at the moment, but I'm not sure how much it is going to help.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Interesting, book notes did not exist when I posted about author notes a little over half an hour ago. I specifically checked. Obviously we're catching it in the middle of updates.

message 5: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Must still be working it's way across the system. I just went to double check because I swore I'd seen book notes, but when I opened an edit page, they weren't there. I reloaded the page and they appeared.

So still a work in progress.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Ahah! Notes attached to books are now showing up on the combine page. They are nice and obvious.

See this page for an example.

message 7: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 590 comments Very nice. Thanks for the link to the example.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Well, I decided to take immediate advantage of it and mark some of the books which I know have been problematic...a number by Philip K. Dick and Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson...which I first had to separate yet again...but hopefully for the last time thanks to the notes.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Hmmmm....notes apparently cannot be deleted.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Oh, Terrific!

Michael, Thanks for the link.

Well, if they can't be deleted, librarians will have to compose them carefully and will have to make sure to add notes only when they'll be very useful. There will be plenty of instances where that is the case.

message 11: by Vitali (new)

Vitali (vitalinew) | 87 comments I tried to post a librarian note a hour ago and it was possible to delete it then.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Notes rock! I see you've been busy, Michael--beat me to the most important one I wanted to add! lol

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 463 comments What kinds of things do you think should be included in the notes? The most obvious thing would probably be "Stop combining these books", but what else? I don't want to add in stuff that doesn't really matter. What about the English translations for foreign titles? Anything else?

message 14: by Jacinda (new)

Jacinda (alynnakasmira) | 10 comments Thanks, Michael! Those notes are beautiful, and hopefully will solve some of our problems.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 36716 comments Mod
Very, very cool. :D

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Jan 18, 2009 08:26AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Marco, They're to give information to other librarians so that mistakes while doing librarian work will be less likely.

Such as Do not combine ___ because ____
Etc. etc. etc.

Edit: See Michael's example in message 6 in this thread.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I really like that there are both Librarian Notes (visible on the combine page) and Librarian Comments (only visible on the edit page).

message 18: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Thanks for pointing that out, Rivka! I'd only noticed the add a comment thing.

message 19: by Ken-ichi (new)

Ken-ichi | 11 comments Hi all, glad you found the feature and that it seems to be working. I hope you don't mind if I opted for sticky-note yellow instead of red and bold.

Michael, you can delete the Librarian Note by just deleting all the text and saving, but I probably should have added a button that just does that. I'll get on it.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Ken-ichi, I really like the sticky-note yellow. It's easily seen!

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Agreed. The yellow is an excellent choice. Thanks, Ken-ichi!

message 22: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Jan 19, 2009 10:59AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments The yellow sticky-note is much better than anything I had originally envisioned. I love the implementation.

I tried to delete a note by deleting all of the text and hitting save but I received a message saying something like "the message has to be at least three characters long".

Edit: I tried again, and it deleted now. Given that I discovered the notes in the middle of their implementation, it may be that I just happened to catch it before it was completely finished.

message 23: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments Yes, this is very nice. Thank you for getting this going for us.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 271 comments Michael wrote: "The yellow sticky-note is much better than anything I had originally envisioned. I love the implementation.

I tried to delete a note by deleting all of the text and hitting save but I received a m..."

These notes are GREAT. Thanks.

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 463 comments I'm playing with this for the first time tonight. Does it take a little while for the notes to show up on the combine page?

message 26: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2009 08:32PM) (new)

Edit: Just tested it, and no.

Keep in mind that Librarian Notes and Librarian Comments are not the same thing.

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 463 comments That's exactly where I went wrong. I've got it now. Thanks for straightening me out, rivka!

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Took me a while to figure it out too. ;)

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I can't see on the combine page where to add a note, and I really need to. Where do we do it again?!?!?!

message 30: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments That part is on the author's profile edit page, SQRL.

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse *bangs head against wall*

Thanks, Isis!

But I still can't do it; the add book/author thing won't open. Gah.

message 32: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Hmm...I tried it as well on a Note for an author. Wouldn't open. Must be a bug.

You could write your message in a comment (like here), use the widget, then copy and paste it into the author note.

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Thanks :). At least it's not just my computer, which it often is!

message 34: by Ken-ichi (new)

Ken-ichi | 11 comments Yup, looks like the "add book/author" link was broken on the librarian note on author form. I committed a fix, should go out real soon. Was that the only bug you guys were experiencing?

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Thx, Ken.