The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > I may be new, but I wasn't born yesterday

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Jan 16, 2009 07:11PM) (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Hi, I am pretty new to TNBBC. I actually joined when I signed for GR a few months ago, but really just started posting this week. What a great group!

A few things about me...

1. I am not a spammer, or an author or anything. If I am posting a lot about a book, it is probably because I just finished reading it and loved it so much that I think everyone else should read it too. So PLEASE don't put me in the Spammers Circle in Hell. That would make me very sad. :(

2. I am a really eclectic reader, so I don't tend to follow just one genre (unlike my grandma who really only reads mystery novels).

3. My name is Rachel and I was born and raised in Seattle (and still live here).

4. I am super chatty, really opinionated, and occasionally overbearing (yikes). Please do not hesitate to put me in check if I get too snarky. It happens pretty rarely, but it should be dealt with swiftly.

5. I am like a raccoon; that is, I am easily distracted by pretty, shiny things. Seriously, dangle a paperclip in front of my face and I'll probably bat at it like a cat.

6. I LOVE books about utopian societies (or those that warn against them), a la Fahrenheit 451, 1984, etc. Loved V for Vendetta, really want to read the graphic novel.

7. And last but not least, I am a super geek. I love Stargate (the movie, SG-1, and Atlantis), Star Trek, comic books, anime and fantasy type stuff. I don't speak Klingon, and I have never been to a convention, but I would not rule out the possibility. Except for the Klingon. Even us super geeks have our limits.

So, that is me in a nutshell. I told, you. Super chatty!

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Welcome to a wonderful group Rachel!! You will find other chatty people here too :)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Thanks Angela. I look forward to exchanging ideas with you and all the other chatty folk here.

message 4: by Petra-X (new)

Petra-X (mona-lisa-with-eggs) Hi there Rachel. Only real spammers end up in spammers' hell, so you're definitely ok on that one!

message 5: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Rachel...Welcome to a great group :~)

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Rachel, welcome and happy reading.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Welcome Rachel. If anyone belongs in the spammer's circle of hell, it's me! Hehe. ;)

Anyway, I am Fiona, live along the south coast of England and I'm kind of eclectic. I don't stick to one genre, but I don't really like, well never read any sci-fi and don't think I'm into horror but then I am a new-found Stephen King fan and want to maybe explore that genre. I want to explore the crime/mystery genre as well. Sci-fi and high/adult fantasy books (apart from Lord of the Rings) don't really interest me as such. I like YA fantasy and most YA book.

Favourite author of all time and I'd marry her if I could - Diana Wynne Jones.

Like classics, recently got into Dickens, prefer Gaskell to Austen and want to read more of the Russians.

And that's me in a rambling nutshell.

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Hello and welcome.

message 10: by Kandice (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Kandice Wow!!! I like all the things you like! Until last week my avatar was a red V in a circle! Definitely read the graphic novel. I HAVE been to conventions, and LOVED seeing other people with the same interests. This site has been the closest I have ever come to that and am loving it!
If you aren't already considering, can I suggest Watchmen, the graphic novel? There are also 3 great Stargate books that continue the movie, (not SG-1), that I can highly recomend.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Excellent Kandice! I love meeting like minded people (though there seem to be fewer of the female persuasion than male). I haven't read Watchmen, but I have been considering it. My husband recommended it too, and I figured I should read it before the movie comes out. Who rights the Stargate books? I love anything and everything Stargate, so I would love to read them.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Hi Fiona, I have seen your posts all over the place here, lol. I feel like I already know you. I had a friend who studied Russian Lit and besides Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov, she also recommended The Master and Margarita. I have both, but haven't gotten around to them yet. An English Prof. I know said that the Brothers Karamazov changed his life... It's a pretty hefty recommendation to live up to, lol.

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Bill McCay, and the titles are Rebellion, Retribution and Retaliation. My husband, (who is NOT like minded) says I am emotionally a 13 year old boy!!! Of course, that was incredibly helpful for realtions when my boys WERE 13. It's not, however, helpful in my girlfriend department! I mean, I like some of the things they do, but they don't seem to like most of the near and dear to my heart things. I look forward to reading your posts. Do you like Firefly?

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments God, I love Firefly. I have the whole series/season on DVD! I was so ticked off about it being canceled. Have you watched any of Joss Whedon's other stuff? I just got the entire Buffy series on DVD for Christmas and I am already halfway through season 2, lol. My husband isn't exactly like minded. He refers to mine as my internal 13 year old girl, lol. But the comic books, etc. can definitely be attributed to my inner 13 year old boy. And speaking of Avatars... Have you watched Avatar: the last airbender? It is an awesome series. It is anime, but it is really well written and has great plot and character development. It is only 3 seasons long, but my husband, daughter and I watch it together as a family (we just got the 3rd season on DVD). I don't know how old your kids are, but I am 30 and I love it.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments I know, isn't it awesome? Have you watched the DVD's? The extras are great. I love seeing how they came up with the martial arts moves, etc. All of the bending styles are different forms of Kung-fu except water bending which is Tai-chi. My daughter was Katara for Halloween. It was very cute.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments My library has then entire series on DVD. You might check yours out and see if they have it too. I haven't seen the end yet. We just got Season 3 and haven't started watching it yet.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My sons watch Avatar:the Last Airbender, but I have not. I have Firefly on DVD too, and my oldest son and I always fall back on that when there's nothing else to watch. I didn't watch Buffy very much, or Angel at all, but that's because I was working nights most of the time they were on. The Buffy's I have seen, I can tell I would love it. There's a Browncoat group here on goodresd, in case you are interested.
Oh! Read Watchmen!!!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Overly chatty people? Nah - just lots of great opinions to share. Welcome Rachel!

message 19: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Rachel wrote: "Hi Fiona, I have seen your posts all over the place here, lol. I feel like I already know you. I had a friend who studied Russian Lit and besides Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov, she also recomme..."

Haha, I get around.

I want to read more Dostoyevsky or whatever the spelling is... I read Crime and Punishment last year and it was fantastic - I just feel like I'll like his others, though it was very dark and rather scary at times. I can't wait to read Brothers K and Demons sound fantastic too.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I forgot to ask, do you like Dark Angel?

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 110 comments Welcome! I like chatty! :)

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Welcome Rachel!

message 23: by KHoopMan (new)

KHoopMan  (eliza_morgan) | 151 comments Hello, Rachel! In your very first post you used my favorite word- "snarky." I have a good feeling about this girl...

message 24: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9861 comments Mod
Rachel... Love the intro! You are certainly in good company. Lots of chatty members, lots of great books being read and recommended from ALL sorts of genres.

I see Dostovesky's name being dropped. I fell in love with Brothers K, and have 4 more of his novels here begging to be read..... I hope they all match the aweseomeness of that novel!!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Lol Eliza. I love the word snarky too. Its such a nice way to describe such an unpleasant character trait.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

And Kandice, yes, I loved Dark Angel. Of course, real Seattle isn't quite so post-apocalyptic, but we do have a lot of half-cat warrior women strolling about the streets...

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have both seasons on DVD. I loved that show. The first season was better, but...
Do you live in Seattle? My family lives in Tacoma and Lakewood. I was born in Morton. I remember my dad taking me to dinner in the Space Needle, as a special treat, and being awestruck. I still have the book the Weedle on the Needle. (somewhere!)

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments I was born in Seattle, and with the exception of a brief interlude in Monterey, CA I have lived here my entire life. Funny enough, I just went the Space Needle for the first time last year. It was my daughter's favorite thing to do and she told my husband that they ought to pick me up from work early one day and take me. So they did! It was neat, but really windy. In college I lived about two blocks from the Space Needle and my apartment building had a rooftop garden that faced it, so we go up there and watch the fireworks on New Year's. It was awesome. I actually lived in the curfew zone during the WTO riots. It was crazy.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments I've only driven through Morton once, when my grandparents decided to take the scenic route to Yakima. It was a beautiful drive.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! Welcome! I love V for Vendetta too, it is absolutely amazing!

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments I know. I will always "remember, remember the 5th of November..." Or is it December? lol...

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice November!!!!!!

Remember, remember the 5th of November.
The gunpowder, treason and plot.

Oh my gosh! I started typing with such confidence and then... senility!

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments ...Something, something, something, something...
Shall never be forgot... lol

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, thereby those important events of the past usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than four hundred years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot.

message 34: by Kandice (last edited Jan 20, 2009 03:48PM) (new)

Kandice Roisu-You are my new hero (for today;)

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments lol - That is V's speach, right? There is a real rhyme though:

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

I looked it up because it was driving me crazy, lol.

Ah, I love V for Vendetta

message 36: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I printed it out and put it behind my desk! (at work) Can't wait to see people straining to read it and then thinking I am a wack job!!!

message 37: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Uhm. What in the Heck was all that? Please enlighten a slightly confuzzled moderator!

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Lori-It's from V for Vendettaby Alan Moore, and a movie starring Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman. We LOVE them both, and can I suggest you at least see the movie if you have not?

message 39: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I saw the previews for it, and it really didnt look like something I could get into. Im not a big fan of the comic book come to life films. Sorry

(dodges behind sofa so she doesnt get beamed!)

message 40: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Whatever!!!! It's dystopian and super political, anti-establishment, whatever, but that probably doesn't make a difference (to you). I am a sucker for anything dystopian.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments I so agree Kandice. And it really isn't a comic book, its a graphic novel. Potato, Pa-tah-toh to you non-geeks, I know. But the rest of us make the distinction. And by the rest of us, I mean the microscopic minority... lol.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments Oh, and I have to point out that the rhyme itself is real. It is in reference to Guy Fawkes (a pretty interesting guy) who tried to blow up the British Parliament on the 5th of November, 1605. Needless to say, he was unsuccessful, caught, tried and sentenced to die by being hanged, drawn and quartered. If you know what that is, you are probably doing a collective shudder right now. Anyway, to avoid having a gruesome and painful death, when they put the rope around his neck he jumped from the gallows, breaking his neck and killing himself. They still burn him in effigy every November 5th (also known in England as Guy Fawkes Day). In a nutshell... lol.

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hey, I thought I was one of the few Americans that knew all that (or cared;)! As far as graphic novel vs. comic book- my husband and I have that argument all the time! I DO NOT read comics. I do, however, have V for Vendetta, Sin City, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Watchmen to name a few. All very dear to me, I might add.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments May I recommend Constantine? I enjoyed that one too. Also a good movie.

message 46: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I always mean to read that. Graphic novels are never available at the library, and almost never can I find them used, so they are a full priced purchase. I will someday, though:)

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments That's too bad. My library system carries them, though they usually have only a few copies. I just reserved V for Vendetta (again).

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Have you read Stardust or any other Gaiman? I see they did it as a group read here, in December. I was thinking of getting it. Borders is buy one graphic novel get one 1/2 off right now. I was going to splurge and get 4!!!!

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 859 comments lol, I have not. And I was so disappointed, not only does my library not have the Stargate books you recommended (though they do have one called "Stargate - Reconnaissance" by Bill McCay), Barnes and Noble doesn't carry them either. I am going to go and check out half price books this weekend and see if I can get them used.

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments hello,
I've been out of town for a few days and not on the board - just wanted to welcome you to the group!

« previous 1