Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Which type of PNR writers do you enjoy more?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I was talking about this with someone else today, and I was just curious what others think. There are so many diferent types of PNR books out there, but there are definitely the "lighter" authors (the characters go through trouble, but they always are happy in the end, the vamps are nice, the were's changes aren't terrible) and then there are the darker authors (everyone's in trouble, people die, the characters go through a lot, the vamps are really evil, the were's are described as being ripped apart, etc...

I guess each type of books has it's own merits.. but I think I might enjoy the lighter books a little more. Ex) I love Lynsay Sands books, where no matter how much crap the characters go through they all end up happy.

I'm trying to think of an example author for the darker books and I think JR Ward would apply here. The characters are pretty messed up and not always happy

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments I like a mixture of both.. its hard to even choose one or the other because I have to switch off what I read in order to not get bored hehe.

Btw whats a group sherpa Jess? It says it next to your name when you post lol

message 3: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited Jan 16, 2009 12:21PM) (new)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I definitely prefer it a bit darker. I love to read PNR for the fantasy elements, but I think I'm engaged more when it feels more real. Like, the world may be full of things like vampires and magic, etc, but if the characters feel real and there's an emotional price for reading, I find I'm more drawn into it.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oo lol... every group moderator can have a title and that's my title, it's just a goof.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Oh! lol how cute :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a charming and unique title!

I prefer to choose books by quality of author. For an excellent author, I'll pay to read their grocery list.

There are elements I avoid tho, alot of the humor stuff isn't funny to me *I'm defective* klutzy heroines, sophomoric dialogue, stuff like that.

message 7: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments I think I like to be in the middle. For example I really love Kim Harrison because it is dark sometimes but then Rachel always has support and love so there is hope. Yet I also like Kitty or Sookie Stackhouse where things go bump but you know at the end it is going to be ok.

***Thinking while I am typing here so forgive me***Yet I do not like it when authors try and work through a characters issue for example I am not a fan of when the love one dies and then they come back as a ghost that can sometimes be corporal but then they can also be well a ghost ... I feel like either make a miracle and bring them back or let them die.

In a series though I need to see the main character grow and for them to stay consistent with the elements of the story

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Hmmm.... you wouldn't be thinking of a certain JR Ward book, would you?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments I definitely like my books angsty and dark. There's nothing hotter than a dark and tortured hero! ;) I tried a Lyndsay Sands book, and was left feeling nothing for the characters. At the same time I find Feehan's Carpathian's to be a bit smothering in their doom & gloom and seriousness. I think the series I love most brilliantly blend the darkness with a bit of humor - J.R. Ward and Jeaniene Frost immediately leap to mind here.

message 10: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Nichole ..so busted :>

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

So Dawn, have you read Kresley Cole's take on the ghost mate? Much better IMO.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments That's the book I thought Dawn was talking about as well. Cole has her own story about a mate who is a ghost. That was my least favorite story of all too!

message 13: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Denni I do think that KC did a better job with the relationship with a ghost and for me it was better since she was a ghost first and then a person then both. JRW story just annoyed me my feeling was like oh well it did not work out let her die not be the resident ghost doc.

Jess...KC books three and four for me really blew. I could not finish Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night I was just to indifferent with the couple, plus the witch annoyed me. The fourth book the one with the ghost Dark Needs at Night's Edge was better for me since I actually finished it but I think I am just not a fan of the ghost person (being) relationship, I would have preferred Conrad to turn Naomi into a vamp then make her a ghost with corporal skills

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

For me the JRW just felt slapped on the very end of the book, so it just felt like an odd ending rather than a real plot element.

message 15: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Denni, JRW and I are currently having issues especially with her last two books. I was a huge fan before that and thought her writing was amazing - I used to be way impressed how she could actually write a story with erotic parts as opposed to erotic parts with a semblance of a story.

I was a V fan so I thought he deserved someone living (hahaha cracking myself up here) no seriously though I agree that there was a lack of plot development and personally I don't think she had the guts to just let her be dead.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) When I was reading that book, I was so completely hooked on the series that I couldn't stand to be at work not reading it, so I would go online and read discussion threads about it in order to get my fix. So I basically spoiled the book for myself, and I knew what was coming. I think that stopped me from being as bothered by it as I might have been.
It was kind of a cheap device that was like, "hey, wait a second!" But at the same time, I thought the interchange between V and the SV was really sweet. She had to make a great sacrifice for him, and then when he started bringing her birds... that was so cute.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Dawn, I have these mental "tags" for authors, and much as I enjoy her writing style and looking forward to seeing the boys grow up, JRW is flirting with "probation". Still don't understand all that m/m sexual tension that went nowhere, why bother then chicken out?

Nichole, To each their own (and all that) but SV gets on my last nerve. But yeah, the birds were a cute touch.

message 18: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Nichole I was the same way I loved her books until V's book and I was like oh wait a minute then Phury's book I was like what is this..did she forget about he love story and how many povs can you get into one book??? Anyhoo I agree the birds were cute and I enjoyed the bonding moment and I will enjoy it when he find out he is a twin!

Denni I am so with you on the 'floating on probation' I am really interested in how she is going to deal with this next book. I do wonder if she is going to end this series soon especially since the rumor is she has a new series starting.

I am like take a chance put some gay dudes in the story that would be refreshing and kill off Jane while you are at it LOL.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I do agree with you guys about the m/m tension that she teases and then doesn't do anything with it. I really loved Butch and V, and I guess I can kind of see why she didn't go there because she has a fairly mainstream audience, but it was disappointing the way she teased it and didn't ever follow through. Why go there in the first place if you can't take it all the way?

And I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way, there were tons of online discussions where people were PISSED about it...
And then she did it AGAIN in Lover Enshrined, with Qhuinn and Blay. WTF?

If she kills off Jane, she should kill of Marissa while she's at it and give us all what we were hoping for!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments I don't think she's written off Qhuinn & Blay yet. Qhuinn's reaction to the kiss definitely left the door open. I think that maybe she isn't prepared to do it with her main characters, she could go there with these two as neither is scheduled to ge their own book, but she could bring them together in, say, J.M.'s book. We shall have to wait and see though.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Hmm, maybe you're right. I sure hope so! Maybe she introduced them to try to redeem herself for the Butch/V fiasco.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"Why go there in the first place if you can't take it all the way?" my thoughts exactly Nichole!

message 23: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments I third that come on she tried to put other stuff out there BDSM what is a little love between the boys.