Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > _The Soloist_ by Steve Lopez

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I just started reading _The Soloist_ by Steve Lopez.
The Soloist A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music by Steve Lopez
The Soloist A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music

This book is non-fiction. At first I thought it was fiction, but I now realize it's a true story about a homeless musician named Nathaniel Ayers Lopez.

The Goodreads description says:
"A moving story of the remarkable bond between a journalist in search of a story and a homeless, classically trained musician -- soon to be a major motion picture from DreamWorks, starring Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr."

About the author, the book jacket says: "Steve Lopez is a columnist for the Los Angeles Times where he first wrote a series of enormously popular columns about Nathaniel Ayers Lopez."

A review on the back of the book jacket says: "Steve Lopez puts a face on mental illness and in doing so shows us how friendship can alter the lives of both the disenfranchised and those who reach out to them." (The review was by Pete Earley.)

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments This book is the January selection of the Crandall Library Evening Book Discussion Group in Glens Falls, NY. The discussion will take place at the library on Monday, January 26, 2009 at 6:30PM.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I saw the previews for the movie the other day-looks like a good one..

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, I'd like to see the movie. Who can resist Jamie Foxx! I wonder when it's playing at Aviation Mall.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Well it hasn't opened yet so it might be awhile LOL

I like Jamie Foxx & Robert Downey....

Release date 4/24

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks, Becky. At least by April the weather will be warmer and I won't mind going out.