Writer's Paradise discussion

Prompts > First Sentences

Comments Showing 1-50 of 690 (690 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Some first sentences that might spark an idea for a story! Anyone can use these.

1. It happened again, but this time it was worse.
2. There wasn't nearly enough light.
3. It was midnight. The hands of the clock pointed up at a shy 12 as if to say, "Ta-da!!"

Add some of your own! ;)

message 2: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Roni (V_A_B) | 727 comments Mod
4."Holey rusted metal, Batman!" Why did Robin just say that? I [he/she:] thought to my[his/her:]self.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

5. "Look around, what do you see?" "Buildings?" "No. Look beyond that." "Grasslands?" "No. A chance."

message 4: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) 6. a metaphor. *eye roll* of course it couldnt be that simple, it had to be one of those stupid metaphoric phrases that didnt mean anything and were angry at you for not trusting them fully so they always trip you when you least expect it. i hate metaphors.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

7. he breathed heavily from behind the brick wall. They were coming.

message 6: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 8. His breath was hot and heavy with alcohol. His eyes were bloodshot, and his hands clenched into shaking fists. He staggered in his step as he descended the stairs, and his hand fumbled for a gun placed in the holster of his belt. He grinned, teeth yellow and cracked.

((sorry, that's like many first sentences..))

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

9. He was gone. Just like that. Forever.

message 8: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

10.Her lips stretched across her face, parting to form a beautiful, wide smile. It was not a beautiful smile on the inside, though; it was closer to a grimace.

message 9: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 11. The corner of his lip curled up into a smile, but I couldn't tell if it was wicked or friendly.

message 10: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

12. His stomach had been growling for hours, but he ignored the pain of his hunger. Wistfulness for a full belly would not help him; no food was left on the planet.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

13. When was I going to get out? Oh right . . . NEVER

message 12: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 14. I sighed, and rattled my chains. Would I never get these shackles off? I banged them against the cave wall and cried out loudly. The only thing I could hear was my own echo.

message 13: by Mimi (last edited Jan 15, 2009 05:00PM) (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) 15. it was maddening, being by yourself for so long. i became surprised that i wasnt insane already. then again, i may be, and just wasnt realizing it yet. it was horrible, not able to know what time it was or if it was rianing. there was nothing i could do. and i hated myself for it.

message 14: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 16. I looked up at the dreary sky. It was so depressing. Rain started pouring down, and it drenched my hair, my clothes, and my shoes. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feeling of the wet rain splashing onto my face.

message 15: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) she narrowed her eyes at the darkening sky. she hated the night, it was so predictable. the danger in itself was predictable, though it always seemed to knock her off guard. she hated it and glared daggers at the ground as she walked, too swiftly, down the street. she swore under her breath as she heard other footsteps that were not her own. and so the vicious cycle began again.

message 16: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 18. His eyes glinted maliciously in the dark, teeth bared. A low growl erupted from his throat, adn slowly increased into an earsplitting howl. The hunt was on.

message 17: by Mimi (last edited Jan 15, 2009 05:13PM) (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) 19. yes, she knew she was insane, but she didnt belong here. she couldnt breathe in the offending straightjacket, and her eyes were wide as she was led down the bright white hallways. their footsteps echoed on the tile floors and she hated the sound too loud in her ears. they paused to open a door for her, as if she couldnt very well do it herself, if it wasnt for the wretched thing they had forced her to wear. it continued like this for many minutes before they paused in front of a grander, heavier-looking door. the grip on her shoulders slackened and she used this opprotunity to run for it, hearing a call of surprise far behind her...

message 18: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 20. Horatio sat in his high-backed leather chair, staring out the large plex-glass window. His elbow rested on the arm rest, and he stroked the stubble on his chin.
"Sir! The girl has escaped!" an exsasperated worker said, rushing into Horatio's office.
"Has she?" Horatio said in a silky smooth voice, "Lock down the whole building. She won't escape us this time."

message 19: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((ooh, this would make a good story))
((im gonna continue from the last one i did hee hee))

21. the bright white hurt her eyes and she couldnt move her upper body to gain momentum as she ran, but she could deal with it. she'd deal with the straightjacket once she escaped form this place. and she would escape; she had to. she ran for what seemed like ages, taking random twists and turns in the labryinth of identical hallways, not knowing where the exit was from where she had been.

message 20: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments ((i'll just do it from a different point of view XD))

Horatio couldn't hear the retreating footsteps. He whirled around angrily in his chair and stood up.
"Well?" he asked, eyes flashing. The worked nodded nervously, eyes wide in fear, then ran out of the office. Horatio returned to his calm demeanor and sat down in his chair. He smirked to himself. Why the girl ran, he didn't know. She would just end up being caught again.

message 21: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((lol oaky! hee hee))

she hated how the footsteps echoed against the walls and came back to her ears amplified more than once. she winced and paused to kick off her shoes, and kept going with a more quiet retreat, trying to find any source of natural light.

message 22: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments ((maybe we should make a new topic for this...?))

message 23: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((hee hee okay))

message 24: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments ((uh, do you want to do it?))

message 25: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((lol okay...))

message 26: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((all done... shall we put the comments in there too?))

message 27: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments ((uh sure..))

message 28: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (Mimibird) ((lol okay then...))

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

22. "Holy crap," I breathed. "I found it!!"

message 30: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments 23. She looked up from spiky long lashes, and smiled that wide smile, her eyes exuding mischief and playfulness. And it all sent daggers into my already shredded organ on the left side of my chest that could no longer really be called a heat, so destroyed was it.

message 31: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (Caladhiel) | 1020 comments 24. "Are you worried?" she asked.

message 32: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

25."Have you ever watched a man jump off a bridge?"

message 33: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (last edited Jan 16, 2009 01:04PM) (new)

Dee Marie (Dee_Marie) | 3382 comments Mod
26. Dying was easy; realizing she was still alive caused her to ponder her existence.

message 34: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (RhondaK) It had been a grueling day and I steadied myself against the mantle piece, perusing the collection of chachkas we had accumulated in our nearly three short years together.

message 35: by Sella (last edited Jan 16, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

Sella Malin 28. "No. NO. It can't be. Please, please, PLEASE tell me you're not serious."

message 36: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

((lol))

29."Do you like chocolate?"

message 37: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

30. She could only eat rose petals dipped in dark Belgium chocolate.

message 38: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

((now that one makes me curious... hmmm...)

message 39: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

((hehe))

message 40: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin ((I agree...teehee. XD))

message 41: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments 31. The intriguer, the questioner, the one of many names, she asks for so much and gives so little.

message 42: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 32. I took in a deep breath, the scent of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in the air. My mouth watered and I dove for the plate.

message 43: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

33. "Life may be like a box of chocolates, but I personally prefer a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies," she stated in a syrupy voice, while daintily wiping the crumbs from her collagen injected ruby red lips.

message 44: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments ((i like that one Dee!))

34. Its eyes were as black as midnight, and it glinted with a sort of malice. I clenched my hands into fists at my sides, yet I could feel them shaking.

message 45: by Roni, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

33.I detest people.

34.As I stare at the crowd, each person in it darting this way and that, I notice a single girl standing still, tears dripping down her face.

35. "And now, ladies and gentlemen, I bring you--"
A sudden crash from above interrupted the man. "What the h*** was that?!"

36. Some people just don't seem to understand how disgusting it is to watch, and listen to, somebody chew with their mouth open.

37. Biology can only be fun to a certain extent.

38. The baby angel gently flapped his wings, as if testing to see if they really worked.

39. Nothing is ever as it seems to be because nobody likes to follow the rules, especially the devil.

40. Once upon a time, a famous pop star had laryngitis.

41.The icicles hung precariously from the edge of the roof, threatening to fall on the crowd below.

42. Mother Nature wished for one plant to be the most mighty, the most majestic, yet just as beautiful as the most beautiful flower, so she made trees.

43.I am addicted to peppermints.

((if you didn't notice, I was catching up the number of first sentences with the number of posts. :D))

message 46: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments (lol that's kewl!)

44. It was a dark and stormy night when she had the best moment of her life.

45. Rays of sun hit my eye, and I wanted to scream from the pain.

message 47: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments 46. Her lips were hungry against his, wanting more, wanting to be closer.

message 48: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments ooohh.... more inspiration from Rayana's dark corner of romance. :P

message 49: by Just Plain Ray (new)

Just Plain Ray (Ray_of_Sunshine) | 2557 comments Haha, yes... hmmm

47. The old wizard gazed out his tower window, his eyes narrowed to slits. The sun peeked nervously over the horizon, unsure if it should make a big entrance or not.

message 50: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments 48. Her rage was so great, her wrath so vast, she was amazed that the sun dared to rise when she was angry enough to kill.

49. The water shimmered, and suddenly BAM! the biggest surprise of my life rose out.

50. My heart sank into my stomach as I gazed at the note.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14