Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > Shelf-a-thon - Official Rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tien (last edited Jan 18, 2009 06:22PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 6502 comments Mod
Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

Start: 00:00am local time 1 February 2009
End: 00:00pm local time 30 April 2009

1. To have read a book off a shelf, you must read a book that is found on that particular shelf. ie. to have read book off the classics shelf, you must read a book that is found on "classics" shelf. For example, Pride & Prejudice is on the top of this shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

2. A single book may be found on several shelves however we will only count the first 5 pages of top shelves for this book. For example, you may find Pride & Prejudice are found on the following shelves: http://www.goodreads.com/book/shelves... however we will only count the first 5 pages of listed shelves for this challenge (note: this is to make it easier for everybody as P&P is found on 70 pages of shelves!)

3. You don’t have to read off the shelves in any particular order of shelves.

4. You may skip up to five shelves, but as a "penalty" for each skip, you must then read an extra book that contains our monthly shelf (Fantasy for February). You may count any other shelves that the penalty book includes. if you have read off all the shelves you wanted to but there are still time left to the game, then for each of the shelf that you skipped, then you’d have to read another Fantasy book

5. The name of shelves must MATCH EXACTLY to the shelf you are trying to count. No deviations are acceptable (check the spelling off the official list below).

6. It is permissible to read a book that is found on a shelf you've already counted; just ignore those when you are tracking them.

7. Reporting

a. Every five days I will post a reporting thread where you will report your results.

b. All we want you to report on the thread is the number of books you've read and the number of shelves these books are found on. Do not report titles because that will give your competitors a strategic edge; however

c. You must track the titles read and the shelves on your own. We have a spreadsheet you may use to do this. I will email it to you upon request. Send your request by a private message to me with your email address. Or, you can come up with your own method of tracking. Make sure it is in electronic format because if you are in the top three finishers, we'll want to see your list to confirm your win.

8. Winning
The winner is one who has either read off all 329 shelves noted on the official list or who has read the most off these 329 shelves by the end date, midnight 30 April 2009. The winner will have to email me their tracking sheet. We will announce that someone has claimed to win, but everyone should continue to play until there has been official announcement of a winner.

9. Prizes
There will be small prizes for the first, second, and third place winners.

10. Participation
I'm setting up a separate discussion for people to sign up to participate in the game.

message 2: by Tien (new)

-
1001-book-list
1001-books
1001-books-to-read-before-you-die
1001-book-you-must-read-before-you-
1001-must-read-books
2007-reads
2008-books
2008-inventory
2008-read
20th-century
abandoned
academic
action
action-adventure
adult
adult-fiction
adult-non-fiction
adventure
africa
african-american
all
alreadyread
already-read
amazon-wishlist
american
american-history
american-lit
animals
anthologies
anthology
anthropology
architecture
art
asia
audio
audio-book
audiobook
audiobooks
audio-books
autobiography
biographies
biography
biography-memoir
book
bookclub
book-club
bookcrossing
bookcrossing-com
book-group
books
books-i-own
books-i-own-to-read
books-owned
books-read-in-2008
books-to-buy
books-to-check-out
books-we-own
borrowed
british
business
canadian
chicklit
chick-lit
childhood
childhood-books
childhood-favorites
children
children-books
childrens
children-s
childrensbooks
childrens-books
children-s-books
childrens-fiction
childrens-lit
children-s-lit
children-s-literature
children-s-literature
childrens-picture-books
children-s-picture-books
childrens-ya
children-young-adult
christian
christianfiction
christian-fiction
christianity
christmas
classic
classics
college
comedy
comic
comic-books
comics
comix
contemporary
contemporary_post_1945
contemporary-romance
cookbooks
cooking
crafts
crime
crime-fiction
criticism
culture
design
detective
did-not-finish
didn-t-finish
do-not-own
drama
ebook
economics
education
england
english
erotica
erotic-romance
essays
europe
fairy-tales
family
fantasy
fantasy-science-fiction
fantasy-sci-fi
favorite
favorite-authors
favorite-books
favorites
favourites
feminism
fiction
fiction-
film
finished
fluff
food
for-school
france
french
fun
funny
gardening
gay
german
get-around-to-it
glbt
graphic
graphic-novel
graphicnovels
graphic-novels
guilty-pleasures
have
have-it
have-read
health
high-school
historical
historicalfiction
historical-fiction
historical-romance
history
home-library
horror
how-to
humor
humour
in-my-library
inspirational
i-own
i-own-it
islam
its-not-a-graphic-novel-its-a-comic
japan
japanese
juvenile
juvenile-fiction
keepers
kid-books
kids
kids-books
language
law
lds
library
library-book
literary
literary-criticism
literature
magic
manga
manga-to-read
mem
memoir
memoir-biography
memoirs
military
military
movies
music
my-books
my-favorites
my-library
mysteries
mystery
mystery-suspense
mystery-thriller
mythology
nancy-pearl-s-book-lust
nature
need-to-buy
never-finished
nonfiction
non-fiction
not-owned
novel
novels
on-hold
other
own
owned
own-it
paper
paranormal
paranormal-romance
parenting
partially-read
personal-library
philosophy
photography
picturebooks
picture-books
plays
poetry
political
politics
programming
psychology
queer
read-2008
read-childrens-books
read-in-2007
read-in-2008
read-more-than-once
read-to-allie
realistic-fiction
recently-read
recommended
reference
reference-books
religion
religious
re-read
reviewed
romance
romantic-suspense
rpg
school-books
science
sciencefiction
science-fiction
sci-fi
scifi
scifi-fantasy
sci-fi-fantasy
self-help
series
sf
sf-fantasy
short-stories
sociology
speculative-fiction
spiritual
spirituality
sports
supernatural
suspense
tbr
teaching
technology
teen
teen-fiction
textbooks
theatre
theology
theory
thriller
thrillers
to-buy
to-get
to-read-because-on-list
to-read-interloan-my
to-read-interloan-sd
to-read-own
to-re-read
travel
trt-reviews
true-crime
uncategorized
unfinished
unread
urban-fantasy
vampires
want
want-to-buy
want-to-own
want-to-read
war
western
wish-list
wishlist
writing
ya
ya-lit
youngadult
young-adult
young-adult-fiction
youth

message 3: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments I think I'm a little unclear - hoping you'll give an example of the reporting.
Thanks!

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela I am VERY unclear!! I read the rules three times :)

message 5: by Tien (new)

oh no... Sorry!!

I will do an example and come back... it's just too hot to be in the study right now... at least in the mid thirties (celcius that is).

message 6: by Andrew (last edited Jan 25, 2009 03:24PM) (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) So If it is on more then one self we can count it twice (if it is in the first five pages) or not...thats what I am confused about.

message 7: by Tien (new)

Following Example above, Pride & Prejudice, in the first 5 pages of shelves it is listed on as follows:

to-read
classics
currently-reading
fiction
favourites
classic
own
romance
literature
all-time-favorites
favourites
books-i-own
historical-fiction
adult-fiction
jane-austen
adult
book-club
historical
1001 books
novels
classic-literature
1001-books-to-read-before-you-die
my-favorites
owned
i-own
favorite-books
novel
reread
british
chick-lit
school
favorite
own-it
high-school
austen
read-in-2008
classic-fiction
19th-century
historical-romance
English
classic-lit
lit
wishlist
library
re-read
absolute-favorites
classics to read
all-time-faves
to-buy
reviewed
ror
read-for-school
literary
movie
my-library
required-reading
England
brit-lit
-classics-
to-re-read
audio
regency
favorite-authors
1001-to-read
the-classics
read-more-than-once
love-stories
movies
drama
adult-books
never-finished
1001books
1001-list
five-stars
old-favorites
british-literature
read-2008
re-reads
for-school
romantic
humor
british-lit
literary-fiction
recommended
saw-the-movie
all-time-favourites
on-hold
all-time-favs
great-books
victorian
finished
home-library
school-books

message 8: by Tien (last edited Jan 25, 2009 04:10PM) (new)

The shelves in bold in the example is the ones that matched the names of shelves on our official top shelves list and those are the ones you count.

So in reading P&P, you've 'touched' 57 shelves.

The next book you read may touch the same shelves as P&P, you ignore those but count the other shelves that haven't been 'touched' yet.

Does that help?

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Soo Much thank you.

message 10: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments OOOOOoooOOOOh! I get it now :) Thank you!

message 11: by Cam (new)

Cam Thankyou Karen, that cleared up my question

message 12: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments That does clear things up, except the part about skipping shelves. How does that work?

message 13: by Tien (new)

Natasha wrote: "I'm still a little confused. I thought we were supposed to read one book from each self. The next book you read may touch the same shelves as P&P, you ignore those but count the other shelves that ..."

Nope, you get to count the 57 shelves of P&P that matched the official list. And then if you pick up another book of which some of the shelves are the same as P&P, you don't count those. Only count the shelves which have not been 'touched' yet. Basically, to 'touch' all 329 shelves at least once to win (or 324 shelves if you skip 5 however note the penalty).

message 14: by Tien (new)

Luann wrote: "That does clear things up, except the part about skipping shelves. How does that work?"

Hhm... I'm not sure how to be clearer about this one.
If you'd like to skip some shelves, you can, up to 5 shelves. However as a penalty, you'd have to pick up a Fantasy book per skipped shelves.

message 15: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Oh, I see. Skip just means not read anything from those shelves. It doesn't mean we are trying to read something from each shelf in any sort of order.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela Thanks for the clarification!!!

message 17: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Are my eyes playing trick with me or are there 2
children-s-literature

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Melitious) Karen, I don't know if this has been asked or not, but for the shelves that we skip, will it be fantasy that we have to read to make up for them through the whole thing, or will we be able to read whatever March's shelf is, then April's? Just out of curiosity.

message 19: by Tien (new)

Mel wrote: "Karen, I don't know if this has been asked or not, but for the shelves that we skip, will it be fantasy that we have to read to make up for them through the whole thing, or will we be able to read ..."

Good Question, Mel!!
To make up for skipping a shelf, read a book from the month's shelf so for Feb is Fantasy and we'll see what's for March & April! :)

message 20: by Tien (new)

Lynlee4 wrote: "Are my eyes playing trick with me or are there 2
children-s-literature "

There are 2 - I don't know why... It's all copy, paste, & sort with excel so there must be 2 on GR somehow...

message 21: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 113 comments What is the "-" shelf between 2008 and 1001-book-list in the list of top shelves?

message 22: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Amanda wrote: "What is the "-" shelf between 2008 and 1001-book-list in the list of top shelves?"

I wondered the same thing. I did a search, there really is a shelf titled -

Go figure

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) So if its on a shelf that is listed in the first five pages it count? It doesn't have to be on the first five pages within a certian shelf?

message 24: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Is there a list for the 1001 books, or can we pick any books from the book?

message 25: by Tien (new)

Andrew wrote: "So if its on a shelf that is listed in the first five pages it count? It doesn't have to be on the first five pages within a certian shelf?"

If I understand what's you're asking correctly, yes.
You're counting the shelves listed within the first 5 pages of top shelves for that particular book.
The book you're reading does not have to be within the first 5 pages of a certain shelf.

message 26: by Tien (new)

Operandi wrote: "Is there a list for the 1001 books, or can we pick any books from the book?"

You'll need to check the shelf really... I think some of the books that aren't even in the actual 1001 list might actually be listed on the shelf. This is because GR members allocate books to shelves.

message 27: by Amanda A (last edited Feb 01, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 113 comments Lynlee4 wrote:I wondered the same thing. I did a search, there really is a shelf titled -

Go figure

Thanks, Lynlee! That is weird.

message 28: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I just want to make sure I'm tallying my shelves correctly...

I took a random book from my TBR list - Mystic River by Dennis Lehane - and looked up its shelves. On the first page of shelves for that book, there is a shelf called "Boston"; however, there's no "boston" shelf on the official list. So would I be correct in NOT counting that shelf? I ONLY count the ones that correspond with those on the official list and not any of the others, even if they appear in the first 5 pages for that book?

If I need to clarify, just let me know! Thanks!

message 29: by Tien (new)

Jen wrote: "I just want to make sure I'm tallying my shelves correctly...

I took a random book from my TBR list - Mystic River by Dennis Lehane - and looked up its shelves. On the first page of shelves for ..."

Jen, that's correct :)

message 30: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Karen wrote: "Jen wrote: "I just want to make sure I'm tallying my shelves correctly...

I took a random book from my TBR list - Mystic River by Dennis Lehane - and looked up its shelves. On the first page of ..."

Thanks! Guess I need to pick a more popular book next time around! :)

message 31: by Cam (new)

Cam Hi Karen, just looking through and I don't think this question has been asked. Noticed with my last book, that 5 days ago it was on 21 shelves (when I started it) and today when I actually calculated it, it was on 23 shelves. The book had in the last 5 days dropped 1 shelf off the first five pages, but then had gained 3 more categories. So with the first five pages of any one particular book constantly changing how or do we have to adjust our totals to accommodate this?

message 32: by Tien (new)

Cam: wrote: "Hi Karen, just looking through and I don't think this question has been asked. Noticed with my last book, that 5 days ago it was on 21 shelves (when I started it) and today when I actually calculat..."

Good question there, Cam. Unfortunately, it's not something that we can control as GR users will continuously add / remove books & also edit the shelvings. Even so, I don't think the changes will be dramatic (ie. dropping 1 shelf & gaining 10 shelves etc). So, count the shelves when you have finished reading and that's should be your official count of shelves for that book for this game :)

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Drat then maybe I should do a recount for mine because I counted the shelves before I read the book. But I read the book within about a week of doing the counts.

Hmm...never considered this little wrinkle.

message 34: by Tien (new)

Laura wrote: "Drat then maybe I should do a recount for mine because I counted the shelves before I read the book. But I read the book within about a week of doing the counts.

Hmm...never considered this l..."

Oh, Laura, don't bother about re-counting...Just leave the ones you've done. So the 'new' rule applies from now on only :)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thx Karen - it takes quite awhile to do this I found! Even with the spreadsheet, although it helps, it still takes time. Sometimes I look at the shelves first before deciding to read this one or that one. This is a really interesting challenge, tho, I'm definitely enjoying it!

message 36: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Karen, I have a few questions...
*how would you like us to report the extra books we've read to skip a shelf?
*'military' is on the list twice..would we need to read two off that shelf?

message 37: by Tien (new)

Lynlee4 wrote: "Karen, I have a few questions...
*how would you like us to report the extra books we've read to skip a shelf?
*'military' is on the list twice..would we need to read two off that shelf?"

Hi Lyn, I really only need to know about your extra books when you have finished the challenge so just keep a note of what books you've read to skip shelves.

re: military, I have no idea why it's on there twice, in the same spelling too so no, you don't have to read 2 books for that.

message 38: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 61 comments I just realized that I have been doing this all wrong!!!!! OMG!!! I was only counting a shelf as being touched if my book appeared on the first 5 pages under that category. For example, if I read Pride and Prejudice and it was listed as "romance" I would only count it if it was on the first 5 pages of romance books listed. On the flip side, I've counted books that were on page 12 of a particular book's list because it was on the first page of a certain shelf. Even my explanation doesn't make sense! I just read Andrew's question and realized my mistake. That explains why it was taking me HOURS to look up each book. Uughh.....guess it's time to start a recount.

message 39: by Tien (new)

Joanie wrote: "I just realized that I have been doing this all wrong!!!!! OMG!!! I was only counting a shelf as being touched if my book appeared on the first 5 pages under that category. For example, if I r..."

Oh no! Just take your time, Joanie...

message 40: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Joanie wrote: "I just realized that I have been doing this all wrong!!!!! OMG!!! I was only counting a shelf as being touched if my book appeared on the first 5 pages under that category. For example, if I r..."

Don't feel bad Joanie...I did that when I first read the rules. It took me forever to get it straight!

message 41: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Karen wrote: "re: military, I have no idea why it's on there twice, in the same spelling too so no, you don't have to read 2 books for that."

There are also two for "children-s-literature" which are exactly the same as far as I can tell.

message 42: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) I did the same thing as Joanie, and only counted them in the first 5 pages, too. I'll have another look because at first I wasn't doing it right anyway. I usually only get time to do two books and that's all we count, right? Just the ones that are in the month's shelf, not the rest of the books we read within that month? I only ask because I have to fit my review books in around the monthly schedule.

message 43: by Betty (new)

Betty (nightreader) Oops, one other thing I meant to say is on the spreadsheet I found it easier to put each shelf I touched the colour red so I could identify them quicker, thought I'd pass that along.

message 44: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Can we count audibooks for this? I'm not a big audiobook fan, so it doesn't really feel like it "counts" to me unless I'm physically reading the book. But I'm "reading" an audiobook right now, so I thought I'd check

message 45: by Tien (new)

Oh, Betty, any books you read count for the challenge - that's the point of the challenge otherwise it'd take forever to 'touch' all of the shelves.

Jen- audiobooks count :)

message 46: by Angela (new)

Angela Has anyone found a book with the shelf: read-to-allie that is not a childrens book? I really do not want to read a childrens book- most of these are like Dr. Suess or a book you would read to a child (dont have children, so no book laying around here). Thanks!!

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) But the nice thing is - they are fast reads! I have not found anything on that shelf yet, and none of the picture books I read were on that shelf.

message 48: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Angela wrote: "Has anyone found a book with the shelf: read-to-allie that is not a childrens book? I really do not want to read a childrens book- most of these are like Dr. Suess or a book you would read to a chi..."

You can always go spend a few minutes in the kids' section at Barnes & Noble and read one of the books while you're there (because, like Laura says, they're fast reads). I do that with my son quite a bit...we go in and read several books, and then we just buy the one we're most interested in. I think it's perfectly acceptable to do that in the kids' section (there's usually even a table and chairs you can sit at). No one has to know you're reading them for a challenge ;)

message 49: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 998 comments Allie must be a young child, so of course the books on that shelf are children's books. I'm impressed with how many books her mother must have read to her! You are going to have to read a certain amount of picture books to touch other shelves as well - such as picturebooks and picture-books. But isn't that what the challenge is all about? Reading a variety of different types of books - some that might not even be right up your alley? Or I guess you could just plan to skip those shelves.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Or you could go to the library, Jen, and avoid the book buying temptation

;)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Big Al (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andrew Clements (other topics)