Natural Parenting discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Jenna Jenks | 23 comments Mod
Hi there... I'm Jenna.

Mommy to Sophia (almost 2!) and Oliver (4 1/2 months).

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifer413) | 9 comments Well hello Jenna! What a great idea :-) I'm Jen, mom to Lydia (7 months).

message 3: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Imagine meeting you here...;)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1 comments Hi, I'm Cheryl, mom to 5 yo, Natalie.

message 5: by Jenna (last edited Jan 07, 2008 03:30PM) (new)

Welcome, Cheryl!

I guess now that there's a bunch of other people in the group I ought to better introduce myself... I'm the mother of two children, Sophia (turning two on the 11th!) and Oliver (5 months). I opted for a midwife and natural delivery but in a hospital and from the get-go, but that was about as crunchy as I thought I was going to be... well, except I was determined to breastfeed until at least a year so I could avoid the whole formula thing. I wanted to co-sleep, but doing that with a newborn was intimidating to me, so we got a sidecar and expected my daughter to be in that for the first few months and I wanted to babywear, but mostly as a convenience to me, because I hated strollers.

Sooooo... on to life, we've moved far past that, but everything just seemed to feel right at the time... I love my sling, we had a homebirth when Oliver was born, we're seriously considering completely stopping vaccinating (although we're not real sure), I'm STILL breastfeeding my daughter, and now my son is breastfeeding, too, still co-sleeping with both... let's see....cloth diapering (part time).. uhhh... I dunno. I guess as we talk, we'll get more understanding of who each other are.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you ladies on here. It's nice to have someplace to bounce ideas off of or find more information about things.

message 6: by Cary (new)

Cary | 1 comments Hi, I'm Cary. I have two sons - Dorian is 3 and Edgar is 6 months. It looks like we have a lot in common, Jenna - my first was born in a hospital and my second child was a homebirth with a midwife, too. I'm also tandem nursing and co-sleeping with both of my children. We also cloth diaper and don't vaccinate.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Wow. Nice to meet you Cary. Now if you tell me you live in Upstate NY, I'll think you just stole my story;)

message 8: by polly (new)

polly | 5 comments Hi, I'm Polly! I have one son, Preston, 7 months old today. I guess I 'natural parent' b/c it is what comes naturally, more than anything else (ie more than basing it on any theories or subscribing to a parenting 'philosophy,' though I do like reading books about AP!!). We co-sleep--which sort of happened by default but it is working GREAT; my son is still nursing, following his lead on solids...we use cloth diapers...I babywear (so convenient). I also selectively vaccinate.

message 9: by MichelleMarie (new)

MichelleMarie mind if I join? :)
My name is Michelle and Juliah is our daughter who will be ONE!! on Jan 31st.
We did the Bradley Method of Husband Coached Childbirth and I fell in love with it and our birth experience so much that I decided to become a teacher! I am still in training but I am very excited and therefore read as much on natural parenting as possible. I am just now getting on the wagon about vaccines and am starting to read up on that. Glad to be here with other moms. I don't have many other women I know my age with kids and into the breastfeeding for a long time/cosleeping etc. type stuff.

message 10: by Christian (new)

Christian Wanglund | 1 comments Hi Jenna - I found this ok. :-)

My name is Christian and I am mommy to Kayla Arielle who is almost 18 months and wife to Dylan.

I feel a little funny being here given that I have a totally different experience than others it seems thus far. I don't so much think of myself as a "natural parent" although I do try to be child led in many areas of parenting.

I am a Biological Anthropologist by training, a PhD student, and an adjunct professor for psychology and biological anthropology.

Well, our daughter is fully vaxed and will continue to be so, I only bf for about 3-4 months due to medical contraints, took the epidural (although I personally blame the pit for that), we don't cosleep although I'm all for it if it works for you, I use disposable diapers and probably sound like I belong on any board other than here but...

I was excited to hear about the idea of learning what other people are reading/discussing and Jenna thought I'd enjoy this so I figured hey, I just might. :-) And being an anthropologist you might have expected anything other than what I said above but hey - I'm all about learning/discussing/knowing other points of view so I think I might really enjoy this...
:-)

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mommy_raindrop) | 1 comments Hello, gals!
I'm Melissa and I'm due with my first (don't yet know if it's a boy or a girl -- we'll see soon enough!) on Feb 8th! I'm planning a natural childbirth, though in a hospital. I didn't know anything about natural childbirth or parenting until I became pregnant and someone recommended Bradley Method classes (I will finish up the 12-class series next week!) So much of it just makes perfect sense to me and as I read more and hear stories, attachment parenting seems like the way to go for our family. I'm glad I stumbled across this group (well, Jenna friended me -- thanks!!) and look forward to keeping up with what you all are reading and learning what I can from "been there, done that" natural mamas. It's nice to "meet" all of you on here!

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Hi Everyone,
I'm Lee, a mama to an almost two year old in Ontario, Canada. We are still breastfeeding and co-sleeping and it looks as if that will be continuing for some time to come. I never imagined before I had my daughter that I would be a "natural" mama either but I thankfully stumbled across attachment parenting while frantically reading during pregnancy and am so grateful to have found another way. I have posted two of my favourite books to the group and am about to read Alfie Kohn's Unconditional Parenting which I have heard rave reviews of on my unschooling list. I would love to suggest it for one of the books to read as a group. Let me know what you think. I'm happy to be here.

message 13: by Heather (last edited Jan 31, 2008 05:21AM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments Hi everyone - this is Heather...about middle of the road on the crunch factor. Had both kids with midwives in attendance, but both ended up being sections, to my dismay (LONG stories I won't get into here). Let's see - I'm still nursing the 18-mo-old though she seems to be weaning at this point. We part time cosleep with both kids (18 months and 4 yrs), I baby/toddler wore (she just recently started refusing being worn). I am passionate about gentle discipline, tending to be on the 'parent in charge' end of the GD spectrum. I'm eager to keep learning about natural living as it relates to healthcare and home management. Nice to meet everyone!

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hi,
I have a 12 yo boy, an 11 yo boy and a 20 month old girl. At least I figured things out by the third one! I very much like attachment parenting. I am an unschooler since I read and fell in love with John Holt's books: How children learn/ How children fail. I cosleep with my toddler and still nurse on demand. My middle guy chose to return to school this year after being away for over 3 years. He started middle school, 6th grade and is finishing this year out but will probably choose to be unschooled next fall.
Just read Hold on to your kids. Thank you for the recommendation ladies! Awesomoe book!
His theories about why kids peer orient make sense but have scientific backing around the premise.
Have read Unconditional parenting - love it!

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hello,
My Name is Elizabeth. I have one son, 33 months old. i don't think i am very crunchy, but i am working on it. here are my stats:
NFP for 9 years
33 month old son currently weaning
co-sleep
gentle discipline
birth doula training, not persuing it professionally
i made my son's babyfood but our diet is definitely a work in progress.
i think we watch too much tv but we also only have 1 tv and no cable.
i would like to homeschool, but i would also like to send my son to the foreign language immersion school... the decision will probably come down to money and time.

i have a read ALOT of natural parenting books, but i am also the librarian for my LLL group, so i have constant access, ha! anyway, my count on goodreads is something like 22 parenting books... and those are the ones i finished and remember. anyway, i have playful parenting checked out from the library and i hope to start it next week.

message 16: by M (new)

M (windycityvegan) Hello everyone!
My name is Monika, and my daughter Nina is 15 months old. We had a hospital birth, but with a midwife and doula present. We breastfed until just recently, use cloth diapers, co-sleep, selectively vax, and babywear. We are vegan and try to eat as much organic and unprocessed food as possible. We don't have cable and rarely watch television. She was in a montessori preschool until just recently, now my husband is a SAHD. I am looking forward to learning from other natural mamas!

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (tophat) Hi everyone!

My name is Heather and I have a 6 week old daughter. She was born at home (UC waterbirth). We cosleep and babywear, and I intend to do child-led weaning. We are still deciding about vaxing- but it'll probably be a delayed and selective schedule. As for diapering, I've done some ECing and cloth, but my DH is much more comfortable with disposables, so it's an interesting mix of all three options. I try to buy organic and local.

I joined this group for book ideas- our local AP Playgroup has a monthly book club and I thought maybe I'd get some ideas for books here and share our previous bookclub ideas.

message 18: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 2 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Adrienne and I have a 3 month old daughter, Indra Elissa. I wanted to have a natural childbirth experience, and was lucky enough to have a wonderful hospital in our home town that promotes that. My husband was very supportive, and he was my childbirth coach, through 30 hours of labor, he kept me going. It was an amazing experience we both shared.

I'm breast feeding, using cloth diapers, we co-sleep and baby-wear. So far, the only natural parenting literature I have read is a few Mothering magazines, so I am very excited about this group and new books and ideas about parenting.

Can anyone recommend a couple must-reads on parenting?

message 19: by polly (new)

polly | 5 comments Adrienne wrote: "Hi everyone,

My name is Adrienne and I have a 3 month old daughter, Indra Elissa. I wanted to have a natural childbirth experience, and was lucky enough to have a wonderful hospital in our home to..."

Hi! You've got a really little one! :) A few parenting books for the little-little set that I liked were Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing (it's really about more than just spacing children--there's a lot of great info on co-sleeping and just encouragement generally), any of the Dr. Sears books are pretty good (the Baby Book is a nice reference to have). As your baby gets older the no-cry sleep solution might be useful too (or even now!). I could not have survived without the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD but I really only needed it until my son was done w/ colicky crying which was around 4 months! Baby Matters is also a good book and covers a wide range of topics and information.

have fun w/ your little one!!!

message 20: by Jenna (last edited Jan 16, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

awww.. I miss having a little one.

I liked the attachment parenting book by dr. sears, also his vaccine book. "How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" is pretty good, too, as is "Naturally Healthy Babies and Kids" (or is it "babies and children"? something like that) Also, it's not a book but mothering magazine's forum (MotheringDotCommunity) is awesome for information. I spend a bit too much time on there, I'm afraid :blush:

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments welcome
i would also recommend The Attachment Parenting book by Sears.
You are a little ways from needing them, but i recommend a good positive discipline book. my favorite was definitely Loving Your Child Is Not Enough: Positive Discipline That Works. Also articles on The natural Child project website are great

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 2 comments Thank you for all the replies! I will definitely read Dr. Sears since all of you recommended him.

message 23: by Kathyseal (new)

Kathyseal | 1 comments Is it ok to post my own books? They're all about intrinsic motivation -- kids' inner passions and interests -- which every baby is born with. Parenting naturally would seem to go along with the theory that our role as parents is to nurture and support this internal motivation (rather than forcing a child with bribes or punishments.)
The books are Motivated Minds: Raising Children to Love Learning and Pressured Parents, Stressed-out Kids: Dealing With Competition While Raising a Successful Child.

Kathy

message 24: by M. (new)

M. (MAndrewSprong) | 1 comments Her is an article I wrote a little while ago on potty training. Some of you with toddlers may find it interesting.
###
Potty training a child doesn’t need to be a battle of wills. If you are consistent and gentle, the child will see using the toilet or mini potty as the only good way to avoid bad feelings and smells. By the age of two years old, most children will already begin thinking about the toilet -- though it may mean a few calls to the plumber to retrieve misdirected toys. Some children can be potty trained as early as eighteen months, but if you are expecting yours to, you are probably expecting too much of the tyke. Children at that age respond best to the reward system. If either parent gives the child strong positive feedback during diaper changes, such as tickles, kisses, etc., the child is going to anticipate them at every changing and will not want to do anything to change such a rewarding routine. By the age of two, a child knows all about cause and effect. They know that if they soil their diaper, mommy or in rare cases, daddy is going to rush in and change them, giving them all sorts of smiles as well as a sense of well being. On the other side, there are few incentives for a child to sit on a cold toilet seat and evacuate his or her bowels. If you don’t want to be a slave to the child’s bowel movements, then it is up to you to change the incentive stimulus for both circumstances.

The diaper changing situation is the hardest, because all parents, grandparents, and any other caregivers need to restrain themselves from giving a lot of positive reinforcement during and immediately after the diaper changing exercise. This can be the most difficult thing, since some parents seem to put off paying attention to their child until that time. Like puppies, toddlers will want to evacuate their bowels to make room for the food they have recently eaten – thus they will have a movement fifteen to thirty minutes after eating. If you watch them closely, you can see the signs of defecation. If you see them tense up, then immediately take them to the mini-potty and sit them down. If you do this every time, they will get the point quite soon. Do be gentle, and don’t force the child to remain on the pot, since they will associate potty training with negative feelings and set training back. Make sure there are picture books and toys near the potty so he or she can entertain themselves, and most of all – give them plenty of praise. After they do the deed, teach them to wash up, and then take them to do a special activity you only do after potty training, something you both can do together – such as finger painting, modeling clay, or a nice walk. They will begin to look forward to the special activity and if you make using the potty a precondition, they won’t balk in the slightest. They will forget about those boring diaper changes and look forward to being clean and tidy.

This also works on teenagers and homework, but I’ll talk about that later.

message 25: by Jenna (new)

Kathyseal wrote: "Is it ok to post my own books? They're all about intrinsic motivation -- kids' inner passions and interests -- which every baby is born with. Parenting naturally would seem to go along with the the..."
Sure... anyone can post their own books, I think...

message 26: by Kay (last edited Jan 21, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Kay (happyfacesunite) | 3 comments Hello, this group doesn't look very active but I think I will post here anyways. It offers a lot of things I'm interested in, despite being the stepmother.

I'm a 21 year old soon-to-be stepmother interested in fun/enjoyment parenting that involves community mindset, happy outlook on life, unschooling, and child/parent awareness (i.e.; bullying vs respect). One day, when I do have my own child, I think it will be easier to have this approach with my own than my lovely stepchildren (This doesn't make me value them any less, however! They have two biological parents of their own, one of whom has a much different approach).

I just recently finished Continuum Concept, NurtureShock, and Dumbing Us Down. NurtureShock doesn't focus on a natural parenting lifestyle, but many of the things in the book re-affirms why people feel that a more natural parenting approach of some sort is better than anything else. It makes a great companion to Continuum Concept.

ETA: Oh, other things I love about natural parenting which I've not had yet: Elimination communication, baby-slings, co-sleeping, and homebirth.

message 27: by JL (new)

JL Morse (JLMorse99) | 1 comments Mum of two toddlers, passionate natural health advocate, qualified naturopath and natural health writer. Imminent publication of my first natural parenting fiction, via One Tree Family - follow me on @jlmorse99 twitter and be great to connect here. Up for sharing lots of links and information, books etc. I also run Natural Health Portsmouth facebook group.

message 28: by Panisoara (new)

Panisoara (OPanisoara) | 2 comments The seven medals of success presents the adventures of two children who win, one by one, the medals of courage, cooperation, curiosity, patience, creativity, perseverance and empathy. In their journey they are accompanied by Memo, the dwarf of their memory; he reminds them certain events in their life and they learn the rules of each psychological characteristic.
The book contains stories for children about developing personal success skills and it is based on psychological and pedagogical studies. Every chapter of the book has a Parent's Corner, with a short description of the psychological concepts and exercises for developing each personal trait. Also, every chapter includes a poem because psycho-pedagogical studies demonstrate children learn easier by combining the linguistic and the „musical” intelligence.
We, the authors are university researchers and professors: G. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Psychology and I.O. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Educational Sciences.
The patience poem (fragment from the ebook)
Do you know Trici – the caterpillar?
She cried: her beauty was no thriller
But time marched on, as it went by
She turned to a fine butterfly
Here is why:
You want time to pass by quicker,
“I want to play now,” you dicker,
You want to grow up much faster.
But patience is what you must master.
If you have patience you will learn
To calm yourself and wait your turn
Step by step you will succeed
Patience is the thing you need.
http://www.amazon.com/seven-medals-su...