Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments The only magazine I 'must have' is Discover. I have it delivered, otherwise I'd forget when it comes out.
I love science and Discover covers a wide range of what's new in a large portion of scientific fields. Always interesting.
I also have a long term subscription for TV Guide. It runs out this year and I will not renew it. Once it changed it's format, my interest has waned. It used to cover from 6 am to 5 am the following day, now it just gives a grid of 8 pm to 11 pm. A generic grid for daytime that is awful. For example, on Sci Fi Channel for the daytime hours it'll say: various sci fi programs. Ya Think? (LOL)
The only issues worth getting a the Fall Preview where it gives a synopsis of the newest programs coming to TV and the Returning Favorites, just so I can find out what date they start. I DVR all my programs, so I like to set it up in advance.
I only read my magazines in the kitchen, in between cooking, when I'm waiting on something. I don't sit down and read it cover to cover, just a few articles here and there. And when I'm working, I read it at the kitchen table while having my morning coffee, and bring it to work so hopefully I can read on my lunch break.

Do you read magazines? Do you a subscription for any magazines? Where and When do you read magazines?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5919 comments Jackie wrote: "The only magazine I 'must have' is Discover. I have it delivered, otherwise I'd forget when it comes out.
I love science and Discover covers a wide range of what's new in a large portion of scien..."

OK, this is too weird. First Mark Twain & now this. We get several magazines, "Discover" (our favorite), "Birds & Blooms", "Readers Digest" & I get "World of Wood". I rarely get to read through them completely, except the last. I do try to grab the Discover, if possible.

I used to get other woodworking magazines, but they're all into gadgets now. Too light on actual woodworking without gadgets. They tell me I should buy a $60 rubber pad to set my sander down on safely. I've been using an old bathmat my wife tossed (like a thick towel) for 10 years & it works fine. Yuck.

We also quit getting TV Guide when they changed the format. They didn't cover our area properly nor did they do over the air channels well - just cable. We never read the articles.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments There's nothing like woodworking using your hands.
LOL, I see all those 'gadgets' in the trade magazines or catalogues. My foreman and I look at each other and shrug. Then we laugh.
We have a guy at the job, who's all about the gadgets, yet he rarely produces anything, LOL

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments Just discovered this topic. Good one!

I'm going to nag the Goodreads staff at the Feedback Group to provide notices to moderators when new topics are started by members! Grrr!

Anyway, we get Newsweek Magazine and Consumer Reports. Eddie reads them. I hardly ever look at them. He reads the Post-Star. I hardly ever look at it. When we pick-up the Chronicle, I try to read it.

As a history major, I'm ashamed to say that I'm not interested in reading Newsweek or any newspaper regularly. I catch the news on TV or, if there's something I'm especially curious about, I'll go online.

I enjoy following the news and the debates about it on TV.

Don't ask me what I do all day ('cause I'm not into housework), but the days fly by.
I follow my nature. I follow my bliss. Isn't that what retirement is for? (g)

Sometimes I stay up late and watch Craig Ferguson. I get such a kick out of him. So then I'm tired the next day. Who cares? (lol) I'm retired. Is this legal?

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments Gadgets? Did you say gadgets? We just got two "electric eye" liquid soap dispensers. Look ma, no hands! Love 'em! Takes a while to get used to using them... but once you do, they're great. We got the white one here: ====>
http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cf...

Gave 'em to the kids for Xmas gifts. Not sure they appreciated them. One was left behind. So that's how we got two. (g)

I love gadgets. I love browsing in hardware stores and the gadget sections of supermarkets.

Sorry for going off-topic. It's OK, as far as I'm concerned... within reason, that is. :)

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy,
If it's not, then I'll be in the next cell over, LOL
I used to me a neat freak, not anymore. See what the Internet does to a person?
I clean but only because it has to be done.
Too much to do here.

Newpapers, TV news, I watch only when something is of interest to me. My husband watches it everyday so he knows when to call me in the see something.
Most of it is negative anyway, I've seen enough of that.
I'd think Consumer Reports would be interesting, but I'm not much of a consumer to make it worth my while.

I've gotten tired of Craig's Late night show but I'd love to see him in Stand up, he is so funny. I miss the old set and the sound machine, Cheeky Monkeys, LOL

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments Sometimes Eddie will point out a newspaper article to me. I depend on him to tell me if the world has stopped turning.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5919 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "I'm going to nag..."

Some lady I know told me women don't nag... For some reason I didn't believe her! ;-)

I rarely watch the news. For some reason, it seems like I've seen it all before. I keep up on computer & wood stuff via the Internet newsletters. The former eats up over an hour a day, but my world changes so fast that I have to keep close tabs. The Weather Channel for a forecast, although usually The Boss, Marg, tells me what I need to know. ("Get the hay over to my barn today, Dear. Rain tomorrow.")

I used to like gadgets, but don't as much any more. Seems like every one I have just means I'm slaved to maintaining & fixing it. I don't have an aversion to them, but I do tend to question myself closely when I see a new toy. Will I really use it or is it just nifty? It's surprising how often it's just 'nifty', not really needed or wanted.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 15, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments I posted the suggestion, but so far no one has replied. See my post at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Speaking of news, how about that pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson River today. He saved the lives of over 150 passengers, not to mention the lives of people on shore who might have been killed. They're blaming birds for downing the plane. An exciting day for NYC.

message 10: by Werner (new)

Werner Jackie, after reading a recent post by Jim (in another group) it occurred to me that our group needs a thread like this; so I was delighted to discover that we already have one! (Don't know why I never stumbled onto it before.)

For me, thinking about this topic poses a paradox. I'm a strong believer in the value of printed periodicals, for keeping the reading public aware of new developments in the world, fresh thinking, current commentary and thought, etc. Contrary to what many half-informed people believe, e-zines are not a perfectly equivalent substitute. They yield results more readily to focused searches; but they don't lend themselves to browsing and cover-to-cover reading with no focused search in mind, just to see what they contain and what's new in a particular field. Paper magazines are perfect for the latter.

That said, the paradox is in the fact that I currently do hardly any periodical reading myself. I used to do more; when I was teaching, I subscribed to the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society and Biblical Archaeology Review, and before I joined Goodreads, I kept abreast of the book reviews in Library Journal and Booklist during my meal breaks at work. Also, I'd read new issues of certain periodicals the BC library subscribed to (and sometimes learned new things, or changed my ways of thinking, as a result!). But now, I mostly use Goodreads to keep up with new books, and spend my meal breaks online here; the library's periodical subscriptions have been devastated by budget cuts, and I can't really afford to subscribe to journals I don't use in my work and don't regularly read. (I still get a subscription to The Christian Librarian with my membership in the Assn. of Christian Librarians; and donate gift subscriptions to a few others to the library; but I typically don't have time to read any of them!) It's a matter of trying to find time to fit that kind of reading into a busy lifestyle, when I already don't have as much time as I'd like for reading books. (In the years since the kids have grown up and left home, it actually seems that I have even less leisure now. :-( ) It doesn't help that periodicals at the BC library can't be checked out like books (though faculty can check them out overnight.)

Several of the titles mentioned above, including Discover, Newsweek, and Consumer Reports (as well as Smithsonian and Archaeology, which Jim mentioned in his other post) are subscriptions the BC library used to have, and for which we still have extensive backfiles. I personally never cared much for Newsweek (and like Jackie, I'm not enough of a consumer to get a lot out of Consumer Reports); but I'd definitely say that the others have quality content that's well tailored to the intelligent, curious reader. I'd say the same for Scientific American, American Archaeology, American Heritage, and National Geographic (which is one we still get --it's donated). Besides the ones I mentioned in the preceding paragraphs, a couple of other magazines that have proved rewarding and stimulating to me (but might not to others) are The American Conservative and Christianity Today.

Now that I know this thread is here, and that it can serve as a forum for us to share interesting reading experiences we run across in magazines, maybe it will inspire me (and some of the rest of us) to read more in that medium. After all, the only thing that will stop print magazines from going the way of the dinosaur is for people to actually read them!

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5919 comments I looked back to post #2 here & see that we're still reading all the same magazines except Reader's Digest. After many years, we've dropped it. Like TV Guide, they tried to change with the times, but we didn't care for their direction.

Marg hogs the Birds & Blooms magazine, so I generally just leaf through it quickly occasionally. Instead, I keep up with most of their content online usually through links in FaceBook.

In the other post, I mentioned that I'm reading Smithsonian & Archaeology magazines because I got on some list & was offered annual subscriptions for $10 or less. Great magazines, but I've also had a few others sent to me for free.

Popular Mechanics was one I got recently. It's sure kept up with the times. It's not just for shade-tree mechanics & car enthusiasts. Reminds me a lot of "I Freaking Love Science", a FB page that Jackie & I both read frequently. Great stuff.

I was also sent a copy of "Skeptical Inquirer" which focuses on looking at some of the trendy issues like the controversy behind GMOs, miracles, & such. This issue had an article about the murder of witches which is apparently still quite prevalent in some areas of India. Some of the verbiage is a bit overblown, but it's thought provoking & arguments seem to be pretty balanced & well documented.

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments I'm glad to see that Jackie started this topic in 2009. It's a great topic.

The only magazine we subscribe to is "Consumer Reports". Ed reads it. I don't.

I'm always impressed by the interests of the members who have posted in this thread.

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments PS-I'm also impressed by some of my "old" posts in this group which I've been randomly reading. I didn't realize I was able to post that well. I sound like a different person! LOL

message 14: by Werner (new)

Werner Joy, your posts, new and old, have always been well worth reading!

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments Werner wrote: "Joy, your posts, new and old, have always been well worth reading!"

It's nice of you to say that, Werner. Thanks for the encouragement. Today I was talking to an old friend, telling her about the members of this group. My memory has become so bad that I couldn't remember the name of the state Jim is from. I kept thinking of Kansas, knowing it was the wrong state. A few hours later I remembered! Kentucky! How could I forget! In our family he's known as "JIM FROM KENTUCKY". LOL

message 16: by Werner (new)

Werner Joy, that's a small lapse compared to some of mine. (I've always been ultra absent-minded!) On one occasion, back in the 80s when we lived in Indiana, I drew a complete mental blank and couldn't remember my own phone number. (Of course, it came back to me later.) So if you're only forgetting Jim's state of residence, you're ahead of the game. :-)

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5603 comments Joy, I think you just got Jim's home state mixed with mine as mine is KS and that's an easy thing to mix up. Join the crowd is all I can say and your posts are great before and after. We, and I speak for your goodread's friends, are thrilled to have you posting again. Cheers!

message 18: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16324 comments Thank you, Nina. Sometimes words sit "on the top of my tongue" and refuse to come out. It doesn't happen often but it's happening to me more lately. It's annoying but eventually the word decides to make its appearance. :)

message 19: by Nina (new)

Nina | 5603 comments Good description of how I feel when I can't remember someone's name.