Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End Apocalypse 2012 discussion

the Doom

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke T. Ok, so I was a bit predisposed to love this book, what with my zealous devotion to the idea that we are on the brink of the End of time. This book just gave me more fodder for peddling my pseudo-scientific and quasi-religious belief that we are in for a radical change at some point in the near future... why not 2012?

Nevertheless, the book is well-written and well-researched, to the extent that you can research an unprovable belief. I like the idea that the sun is going to zap us all into ether with its rambunctious sunspot cycles. Kind of quaint to think the giver of life ('God' as some may prefer to call it) will also take it away.

One thing I found really interesting is that, according to the Mayans, the cataclysm is supposed to happen at 11:11 pm. As any listener of Coast to Coast knows, 11:11 is somewhat of a mystical time, teeming with synchronicity. On the one hand, it seems the perfect time for the earth to erupt. On the other hand, it sounds like the perfect myth. Joseph only makes passing mention of the time itself, but with all the buzz about 11:11, it's interesting that this is when it's all supposed to go down.

By the way, I'm unsure of Joseph's credentials, but I guess he knows his shit. I've been telling everyone he's a science journalist for the NY Times, but maybe he just wrote one article for The Magazine. Whatever, he's got more cred than me.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a long, storied, and moronic history of millenialism and end-of-the-world scenarios. Surprise! They all turn out to be loads of s***.