Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > import amazon images

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 73 comments Hi, I just found a book without cover image. However, the image is provided on the amazon page of this book (amazon.de, as it is a german title). I tried to "Refresh book data from Amazon." but it did not load the image.
My guess would be that it connected amazon.com instead of amazon.de. Is there a way to load the image from amazon.de instead?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32962 comments Mod
You can always download it to your computer and upload it to GR.

message 3: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 73 comments rivka wrote: "You can always download it to your computer and upload it to GR."

Is that a legal way to do it? Doesn't amazon hold the copyright for the images or something?

Apart from that, wouldn't it make sense to download book data for german books from amazon.de, where they have more information on the book, while amazon.com sometimes does not even list it? Same would apply to french or uk books etc.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Actually, Amazon usually shares information among its affiliates. It is rare for there to be more information on one than another.

Uploading book covers to GR is pretty clearly fair use. (Using them to make t-shirts and selling them would not be.)

message 5: by Elke (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:01PM) (new)

Elke (misspider) | 73 comments rivka wrote: "Actually, Amazon usually shares information among its affiliates. It is rare for there to be more information on one than another.

I can't confirm that. I often find that information, especially the images, for german or also uk books are missing on amazon.com. Also, some books available on amazon.com are not even listed on amazon.de. I once inquired about some books I wanted to purchase but couldn't find on amazon.de, only amazon.com. They told me there are different supplies and catalogues for each amazon domain.

Uploading book covers to GR is pretty clearly fair use."

Ok then I will do it that way. Just wanted to be sure before goodreads and I get into trouble ;)

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I defer to your far greater experience with non-American books. :)