Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Faking Your Own Death

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So they caught the Indiana guy who faked his own death...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/14/m...

I'm fascinated by this "fake your own death" thing. If you were to fake your own death, as whom would you like to come back? What would you want to be?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Yeah, we do this kind of stuff in Indiana. Sometimes we just "crash" our trucks into a cornfield and then live in a trailer in the next county for 2-7 years and then show up at our high school class reunion alive.

(i laugh at this but i prob had some money invested with this guy...)

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) This guy couldn't have bungled the whole thing if he tried harder:

1. He makes a distress call - bad idea, because fighter jets were scrambled to assess the situation. They noticed the plane was still flying, but the door was open, and no was was piloting the plane.

2. Dumbass stops at a convenience store...and uses his credit card and ID! And he was STILL wearing his goggles!

3. Asswipe sends an e-mail to his buddy...after the news broke that his plane crashed.

What a tool!

By the way, there are several books available on "living off the grid", if you can find them online. They're guides on how to disappear and re-appear with a new identity. Not that I'm recommending this to anyone.

I wouldn't want to fake my own death. Nor would I ever want to witness a mob rubout, and be forced to live under an assumed identity somewhere in Arizona.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) funny! (1 -3)

it's the subject of many novels: faked deaths...

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments It seems so pointless to try and pull off such a scheme only to go back to a similar career or geographical area in your new life. The new life should be all about excitement. I would choose to be a Mexican Luchador and a suave, international jewel thief (part-time).

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
I used to read and re read a Christopher Pike where the main character fakes her own death (for some reason) and then gets to spend her time seeing how her supposed friends and boyfriend grieve for her.
It was fascinating.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i would start my new life about 20 years younger

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I remember learning about a pretty interesting one on "City Confidential" (man, I loved that show)... Maybe he didn't fake his death, though, maybe he just ran... to Galveston. He was very popular in his new life. Seems like, though, that his old life did think he was dead...

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Like Don Draper on Mad Men.

message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I've never seen that show, but I've heard such good things about it. I might rent it if the list of reserves for it at the library ever dwindles.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh my stars, Mindy! You must watch it! So fantastic.

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) The idea of hiding out on a beach in Mexico does hold some appeal but I'd miss my family too much and just couldn't do it.

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Haha, I move further away from my family with each move. I'm MUCH healthier that way!

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

When I was in debt once upon a time I thought about this as a viable option. I was sad to note at the time that I had no private plane to crash and disappear from, so I was SOL. I had to work and not buy shit for a few years.

I read a pretty lengthy article about this dude today, sounds like he was a bit messed in the head. Someone described him as a pathological liar. I bet he even lied to himself about all the harm he was causing, stealing and cheating.

message 15: by Kevin (last edited Jan 15, 2009 04:41AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments now he claims oxygen deprivation from the planes canopy imploding caused him to totally and entirely lose his marbles and cause him to walk around in pilot goggles while using a fake name and then riding to a campground on a motorcycle and holing up alone in a tent. oh yeah, he also somehow unknowingly slit his wrists. i totally believe everything except the motorcycle part

message 16: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments Interesting how people trusted their money with this guy and Madoff - both appear to be inveterate liars.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you give money to people who look like they have money. it seems like they have a clue of what to do with it.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) money attracts money...

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, that's what homeless people are attracted to me LOL

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Ghost thread, popped up as unread. Why does this happen.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Well, I'm already batty. It's making me battier.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.