Horror Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > paced reading group

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments Hello, I just made a paced reading group that will read a set amount per day or week and have regular discussions with people who are at the same point in the book as each other. I made this so we can discuss as we read without worrying about spoilers, if you are interested or think someone you know would be please join. When I get a few people in it I will take suggestions and set up a poll for a book. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Sometimes I'm able to read a lot, sometimes I don't get to a book for a while. So I'm not sure your group would be a good fit for me. But good luck with it. It is easier to discuss a book as you're reading it and it's fresh in your mind. Good luck.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments I normally go through a book in 2 or 3 days so it may be hard to slow down and keep on track but I figure I will keep doing this club also and probably still read more on top of that as well. I have a job that lets me read half a novel a night.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments I'm thinking maybe if we do a monthly book with weekly discussions. A quarter of the book every week will give people a little time so they can read in one sitting or over the course of the week.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char | 14551 comments Mod
I have a group that reads a horror book per week, so I'm kinda busy, but I might pop in and see what's going on. : )

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments We are going to do a monthly book with weekly discussions so it should be a nice slow pace that everyone can keep up with. There is 5 members so far everyone is welcome.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 203 comments Justin do you have to read every book? I sometimes skip books if I don't care for them

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments no, of course not. i think there are only 3 of us reading the first book, not alot of members right now though.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 203 comments I think I would like it then. Thanks for the invite.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments No problem, pass it along to anyone who you think might be interested. Not everyone will read every book but the more people we have in the group, the more people we will have reading and discussing and the better discussions we will have.

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments Ok we finished our first group read and now that we have things a little more established I figured I would update and invite you all the the group again with a little more clear set of the guidelines. What we decided on was weakly discussions. We read 25% each week and just jump into the discussion when you complete it so it is stretched out over a months time with everyone reading at the same pace and discusing along the way without spoilers. Next months book is going to be shades by Brian Keene and Geoff Cooper if anyone would like to join us.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 12: by Justin (last edited Nov 04, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments Ok, last time I revive this thread. We have the schedule completly worked out and here it is.

Week one: I change the title of the current group read to say spoilers to 25% as soon as you hit the 25% point you can start or join in the discussion

Week two: I will change the title to say spoilers to 50% if the previous weeks conversation dies down early you may start the second week early just don't discuss until I change the title. I also post the following months suggestion thread in the second week and everyone is allowed 2 suggestions.

Week three: I will change the title of the current week to say spoilers to 75% and make a poll with all the suggestions for the next month.

Week four: I change the title to 100% at this point all discussion on the book is open, feel free to go through all the previous book threads and discuss books you have read in the past. If we need to do a tie breaker for next month it will be a 3 day poll. As soon as we know what the following months book will be I create a thread that says spoilers to 0% this is to discuss the author, cover of the book, expectations of the book, etc..... this time is also used for anyone who wants to join in to get a copy of the book and to invite anyone they think may want to join us to the thread.

If I missed anything or anyone has any suggestions to add to this let me know.

We are about to start Island if anyone wants to join!

message 13: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4740 comments I want to join this group. Im always worried about spoilers so this sounds good. I wont be able to read Island but maybe next book.

message 14: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4740 comments How do I join?

message 15: by Justin (last edited Nov 04, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1121 comments Here is the link it is open to the public so anyone can join there should be a "join group" button to click somewhere, I'm not sure what it will look like since I am already a member but let me know if you have any trouble and I will try to figure it out.
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Island (other topics)