twilight lovers! discussion

Twilight Movie > Team Jacob, but not Team Taylor!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:43AM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments I'm sure Taylor Lautner is a nice boy and I realize he has tons of fans; I also realize no one's perfect, but, in my opinion, Taylor's no Jacob Black. Surely, I'm not alone in this so "politely" vent your frustrations over his casting in Twilight and now New Moon if you are a Twilight fan who finds it irritating that Taylor:

a) Is not Native American.
b) Is not even six feet tall and therefore, not even as tall as Robert Pattinson.
c) Is way too babyfaced.
d) Is just deeply tanned.
d) Hasn't even finished puberty yet.
e) Is supposed to somehow be competition for Robert Pattinson, a 22 year old man to his 16 years or age.
f) Looks ridiculous wearing that terrible wig.

I know I run the risk of seeming to be overly critical of Taylor, but when you have actors like Eddie Spears, who is Native American, or Steven Strait, Stephenie Meyer's original pick for JAcob, not caste in the role, I truly wonder how hard Summit really looked.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie i'm a big Taylor fan, but i totally respect your opinion, (i laughed out loud at reason D lol)and i definatly agree with you on some things but again i'm a big Taylor fan (i mean have you seen him he is one hotty with a naughty body!)lol

message 3: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
Well we all know where I stand=P but just like me everyone is entitled to their own opinion....

message 4: by Kay (last edited Jan 14, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments How funny it is to have two Stephanies! I have seen Taylor's new bod, and it is most impressive; no doubt his body looks great, though I'd think Jacob would have a much wider chest/ shoulder span, but there I go again comparing Eddie or Steven to Taylor. Taylor's just not my, nor any of my friends, idea of Jacob, at least not the "mature" version and it seems like a lot of exceptions were made to caste him. Stephanie #2(hi, by the way), you mention on one of our other chats that JAcob is a bit of a punk and I totally agree. Taylor seems too cute to be the brazen, shoots-his-mouth-off, punk that Jacob so often is.

message 5: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

You have a great point....lol. +P

message 6: by Christina♥ (new)

Christina♥  | 279 comments KAY! Thats exactly what I have to say about Taylor...lol :)

message 7: by Kay (new)

Kay | 83 comments THANK YOU, Christina!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) I love this post Kay, you expressed everything I dislike of Taylor as Jacob very well. And yes, he is a very nice looking young man, but I gotta agree, he just isn't built to be the Jacob we all love :)

message 9: by Kay (last edited Jan 23, 2009 09:36AM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments Hi Ladies! I saw Twilight again this past weekend and disliked Taylor as Jacob even more; I think that's due to knowing he really is staying throughout the film series. He won't even get a chance for a "growth spurt" or loose his babyface because they're shooting New Moon and Eclipse back to back. I don't wish the boy ill will, but my friends and I will definitely be paying the matinee price to do our own "preview" of New Moon. I read on one forum at another site that the poster didn't think it mattered if Jacob was sexy because he just needed to have a sensitive personality, like Taylor. Yes, the Twilight saga is just a story, but stop the madness!LOL I couldn't help but wonder what books she'd been reading. At least we all know JAcob is supposed to be fine and them some!

message 10: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (uorgirl) | 35 comments YAY FOR KAY!!! LOL...THANKS FOR ADDING THIS ONE. WE'VE GOT TO HIT 'EM ALL WITH A DOSE OF REALITY NOW AND THEN, RIGHT. YOU KNOW I AM ON BOARD WITH YOU! GET A MAN WHO DOES NOT NEED A "FAKE TAN, AND WIG!" AND ONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE TO SEARCH FOR HIS "HERITAGE," BUT KNOWS WHO HE REALLY IS!

message 11: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

That's all dandy but he's in so oh well.

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay | 83 comments AMEN, Maryann!!! Hope all is well in your world.

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay | 83 comments Hey Stephanie, you are clearly going to be the "devil's advocate" on this site! LOL While I know Taylor is not your ideal JAcob either, I respect your willingness to give him chance.

message 14: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Thanx girl....you know how I feel...he may not be perfect but they started with him and I hate when they change in the middle...whatever happens I just really hope it works out...plus you know how much I love Eddie so I can't be all the way on The Taylor Train...lol

message 15: by Kay (last edited Jan 24, 2009 05:35PM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments Afternoon, ladies! Dear, Eddie! I wonder when that man’s day will come, Stephanie! Believe you me, I know Taylor is in, but hopefully more people can understand why a number of fans, including us obviously, particularly Native American fans and other people of color, myself included once again, are most perturbed that an opportunity for an actual Native actor to play a romantic lead in a major, contemporary film not being played by someone truly of that nationality does not sit well. Stepping on my soapbox here, film history has shown us many "look-a-likes" and "stand-ins" for Native Americans and other cultures/ races that has spanned decades. I humorously acknowledge the movies surprise diversity with the casting of some of the minor kids, i.e. Angela, Tyler, Eric, though I wasn't expecting it, I appreciate it. But interestingly enough, the racial flexibility that was extended to those characters in the movie obviously didn't apply to Bella or Edward. They are Caucasian in the book and are and should be cast as such because that's how they were written; just like Jacob is Native American and not a distant relation and therefore, should have been cast with better care. As we already know, Taylor didn't even know his VERY distant Native roots until after he was cast when it became clear how bad the lack of authenticity would look. I've seen on so many blogs acceptance of this idea that "exotic looking" or "looks close enough" equates being Native American and is good enough to represent that culture and Jacob's character. What's done is done, Taylor's in, and despite my dislike of that, I will see the movie; though my friends think Summit fell for the hype that fans wouldn't go see New Moon if Taylor wasn't cast because we’re clearly going to see it , even though we don’t' agree with their choice. Nonetheless, there is a lot of adoration for Taylor, but there is also a tremendous amount of frustration as well. That’s why we’re here! LOL

message 16: by Christina♥ (new)

Christina♥  | 279 comments I know lol!!! I'm trying to learn to like Taylor...really trying! :)

YOUR WELCOME KAY! :D these posts r all true though!

message 17: by Kay (new)

Kay | 83 comments It's tough isn't it, Christina!?! Taylor's just a kid trying to keep his job, can't blame him for that, but STILL...He truly has a heavy weight to carry on those extremely buff, but narrow shoulders of his!

message 18: by Christin (new)

Christin Todorova (insomnia_782) I think Steven Strait would've been the perfect Jacob Black!

message 19: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

I think he would make a perfect Quill

message 20: by Kay (last edited Feb 09, 2009 11:04AM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments I'd definitely take Steven over Taylor, despite my desire and frustration for a NAtive actor or at least a better suited actor to play Jacob. It's funny, I just reread Twilight (again) this weekend and even in the beginning when Jacob and Bella are at the beach, Jacob is described as not looking his age, Bella actually thinks he's older and he's already tall. By the end of the book he's 6'2.I almost forgot! Jacob's husky voice! Taylor definitely doesn't have one of those yet. Hope his voice changes soon. I certainly don't need any more fuel for my I Don't Like Taylor as Jacob fire, but...burn, burn, burn.

message 21: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

LOL...you make me laugh!!!

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay | 83 comments I know! It's what I do! LOL

message 23: by Whitney (new)

Whitney I love Taylor Lautner so much and, even though he is kinda short, I love his face and the way that he compares to the Jacob in my head. He is definitely exactly as I imagined him. (another factor that might play into this decision is the fact that I think he is super cute, lol)

message 24: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (uorgirl) | 35 comments I've been so busy lately, I haven't had time to cheer you on Kay! I love your comments! They are everything that I want to say and more! I am a huge Twilight fan and eventhough I don't like it, I can only accept Taylor as Jacob for now...lol...hopefully they will see the light soon!

message 25: by Kay (last edited Feb 27, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Kay | 83 comments Hey, Maryann! Good to hear from you! I know, even though we have to accept Taylor, I think we both can agree that Jacob definitely became more like him (Taylor) than Taylor became like Jacob.