The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

Book Title Choices > Why I wrote PATCHES OF GREY

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 4 comments Patches of Grey

I consider myself no expert, but it seems to me that a substantial number of African American book buyers are dissatisfied with the limited range of commercial fiction being marketed to them. No disrespect intended towards the multitude of Terry McMillan emulators, but there are definitely subjects of interest to so called ethnic bookworms other than “sassy tales of sistahood”. As for those snapping up titles from independent publishers of “urban / street / hip hop fiction” because they feel this multi-name genre is a truer representation of their lifestyles, they are deserving of a wider span of storylines and more literate styles of prose than is currently available. Although publishers cannot afford to ignore lucrative trends strictly in favor of artistic merit, the gap between literature and popular lighter fare must be bridged. Black readers desirous of greater substance and skill between covers that blatantly declare who the intended audience is can certainly be appeased while profits are being made. I am as confident about this as I was sure that Barack Obama would give other presidential candidates a run for their money.
Patches of Grey is a literary novel tackling themes of reckless ambition; boundless optimism; ironclad convictions; bitter disillusionment; the complexity of race relations, the confusion of self exploration, naiveté of first love; inevitability of heartbreak; and the demise of innocence. It is populated by tough people living in hard times, but despite several dramatic events that take place throughout, it is essentially a tale of introspection and personal growth. As I put pen to paper it was not strictly a black audience that I had in mind, but it will probably be of particular interest to African Americans. Why did I write it? I suppose my book gave me little say in the matter. It simply demanded to be written.

message 2: by Minnie (new)

Minnie (MinnieEstelle) ....Although publishers cannot afford to ignore lucrative trends strictly in favor of artistic merit, the gap between literature and popular lighter fare must be bridged....

Roy, you have touched one of my hot buttons. African American authors of fiction are caught between a rock and a hard place if we do not write “urban / street / hip hop fiction.”

....Black readers desirous of greater substance and skill between covers that blatantly declare who the intended audience is can certainly be appeased while profits are being made....

IMO, the only solution is to flood the market with premises of greater substance. That means self-publishing. Perhaps then the market will recognize and realize the same or greater profits.

I don't write to the market so I don't sell many books but I'm satisfied with what I write.

Patches of Gray sounds complex and interesting. I'll put you on my BTR list.

Keep pushing your idea and I'm going to keep pushing mine by not writing stereotype storylines.

My novel, The Seduction of Mr. Bradley, is not about a D.L. man or bashing the lifestyle. It's about his heart and mind. It's a senior's point of view. Check out my website at www.millerscribs.com

message 3: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 4 comments Sounds like we're of like mind, Minnie. I've made a mental (and written) note to check out your book and web site. Happy writing.