Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
So I am looking at this author (am always looking for new stuff) and it seemed interesting.

Anyone read anything by this author?

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments I read Sunshine and really liked it. It was different, and that's what I was looking for. I've also read some of her YA fairy tale remakes, and they are good as well.

message 3: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 4 comments I just finished reading Sunshine and I thought the book was ok.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) I've read most Robin McKinley, and own as many as I can. You do need to be in the mood, because she's inclined to go off on tangents. Visit her site, and read her blog, for a bit of a feel: http://robinmckinley.com/.
If I had to pick a favourite it would be Deerskin.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments I don't mind slow stories as long as the characters draw me in. I guess that's why I liked it. I also liked The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, but lots of people told me it was too darned long and drawn out for them to enjoy it. To each her own!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) Sarah,
I've heard the same thing about The Historian, but I loved it. It took me a long time to get past the first 200 pages or so, but then all of a sudden I got completely sucked in and couldn't put it down.

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Exactly Sarah, thats how I feel! :D

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess I couldn't stand Sunshine!!! I couldn't stand the main character Sunshine, and whatever the vampires name was (I can't even remember that's how forgettable his character was).

The story was dragged out, and it just seemed to me that the author would just add in details to make it longer. I don't know, I just thought it was really bad

message 9: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
I don't mind for a book to take me on a journey. Then again I can sit thru a 4 hour movie time and time again. I have no idea who this is but I would not mind looking her up, thanks! =)

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) I couldn't get through The Historian but I'll probably start Sunshine in the next week or so. I'll attempt any book but I no longer hesitate to stop reading if my attention is flagging. I've heard good things about Sunshine and I am looking forward to it.

message 11: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I haven't read Sunshine but it is on my TBR list as it sounds really good. I did read The Historian and everyone is correct it is long and detailed and sometimes boring as hell but a great read nonetheless. An interesting take on whole the Dracula thing.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla (Carla981) | 26 comments I just read all but the last 10-15 pages of Sunshine. It was not what I was expecting, so there is a really good chance that I didn't like it because I was expecting something totally different. Maybe not. I felt really lost all the way through. I felt like I had book 3 of a series that I've never read before.
Maybe I just wanted it to be over so badly so that I could read the next Anita Blake book (current obsession, I've avoided Anita for 10 years...why??!! lol!)
Anyway, by all means, read the book - but it just didn't hook me.

message 13: by pianogal (new)

pianogal Carla wrote: "I just read all but the last 10-15 pages of Sunshine. It was not what I was expecting, so there is a really good chance that I didn't like it because I was expecting something totally different. M..."

Yeah Carla...that was pretty much my thought about Sunshine. Good, but not great.

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user I read the Blue Sword by her. Loved it. :)

message 15: by pianogal (new)

pianogal Huh... I don't know that one. Maybe I'll have to seek it out. Thanks!