UMF Mantor Library discussion

The Book You've Read the Most

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Bryce (brycemoore) | 25 comments Mod
Instead of asking what your favorite book is, I thought it would be interesting to ask what book you've read the most. I'll start it off. I haven't kept exact track of the number of times I've read everything, but I'd estimate I've read The Chronicles of Narnia about ten times, The Eye of the World at least seven or eight times and Ender's Game six or seven times. Some more might come to me eventually, but that's what I have for now. Of course, my days of rereading books ended back in middle school for the most part, but for a while, I would reread my favorites habitually.

message 2: by Frank (new)

Frank Roberts | 3 comments I have not read single books multiple times, but I read over 100 books from the Doc Savage series when I was a teen, and still have my collection of them. They were originally published as pulps during the 1930s, and reprinted by Bantam in the 60s and 70s. Frank

message 3: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Frank wrote: "I have not read single books multiple times, but I read over 100 books from the Doc Savage series when I was a teen, and still have my collection of them. They were originally published as pulps d..."

I don't think I've ever read even a single one of those series. Were they written in order? Is there a good one to start with?

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank Roberts | 3 comments The first two were feeling out the character of Doc, and he was much more bloodthirsty than he later became. But, beginning at the beginning is always good. You can see where Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Superman came from after reading this series. The first one is called The Man of Bronze. There was a horrible movie made in the 70s about the character.

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly | 7 comments I love rereading old favorites! Probably the two series that I've read the most would be: Joan Aiken's Wolves Chronicles and Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, both of which I discovered when I was about 10 years old. I have no idea how many times I've read them over the years, but I still go back to them today.

message 6: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Molly wrote: "I love rereading old favorites! Probably the two series that I've read the most would be: Joan Aiken's Wolves Chronicles and Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, both of which I discovered when I..."

I've read Prydain a ton of times, too. Wolves Chronicles is a new one for me, though--never heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kermitreads) | 6 comments I've read Jane Eyre I can't tell you how many times. I started reading it every year through middle and high school. Not sure what was up with that, but its still one of my favorites even though I haven't read it in a while.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kermitreads) | 6 comments Oh, and the Harry Potter series. For each book that came out I had to read the previous books again. I really need to read the seventh again, which of course means reading the others first. I also love to listen to them. Jim Dale is genius!

message 9: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Sarah wrote: "I've read Jane Eyre I can't tell you how many times. I started reading it every year through middle and high school. Not sure what was up with that, but its still one of my favorites even though I ..."

Deep dark confession of a librarian/English Masters student: I have to admit that I've never read Jane Eyre. I've never even seen a movie adaptation of it. You may now all commence making fun of me. That is all. :-)

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly | 7 comments Don't worry, Bryce, you're in good (or possibly bad??) company... I read Jane Eyre for the first time only a couple of years ago (and it was great!). :)

message 11: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Molly wrote: "Don't worry, Bryce, you're in good (or possibly bad??) company... I read Jane Eyre for the first time only a couple of years ago (and it was great!). :)
"

So there's hope for me yet? What a relief!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kermitreads) | 6 comments Bryce wrote: "Molly wrote: "Don't worry, Bryce, you're in good (or possibly bad??) company... I read Jane Eyre for the first time only a couple of years ago (and it was great!). :)
"

So there's hope for me yet..."

Absolutely! I would even be happy to lend you my copy when your ready.

message 13: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Sarah wrote: Absolutely! I would even be happy to lend you my copy when your ready.

At this point, though, it's almost a badge of honor. I made it through life without reading Jane Eyre. :-)

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan | 1 comments I first read Jane Eyre when I was in 8th grade---it is still one of my favorites. Reread A Christmas Carol every year and frequently reread Bleak House.Have read Love in a Cold Climate and the Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford many MANY times. I regularly reread my favorite childrens authors---Lewis Carroll, Louisa May Alcott, any and all Oz books, and most recently reread all of the Mary Poppins books. My very favorite (and the one I read regularly without fail every spring) is The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett---my grandkids are a little young for the book but have watched the video at least 50 times. I know it will become one of their favorites, too.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Trider-Grant | 3 comments When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six Nothing gives me more pleasure than reading these poems to my grandchildren. I am not sure they have the same same reaction as I did as a child on my grandmother's lap, but it makes me feel so a peace to re-read them.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kermitreads) | 6 comments Kimberly wrote: "When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six Nothing gives me m..."

I totally agree. I would also add the 2 Whinnie the Pooh books. I don't have children but I still enjoy reading them to myself.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kermitreads) | 6 comments I reread The Annotated Alice The Definitive Edition this past weekend (I have no clue how many times I've read it). Will probably read Through the Looking Glass this weekend. The annotated edition is amazing I've learned so much from the notes, but I also have the little box set that was my Dad's when he was young.

message 18: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

I've never even heard of When We Were Young before--thanks for bringing it to my attention!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Melissa_Faith) | 1 comments I've Read Reaching Dustin probably 4 or 5 times.
It was the first chapter book I was able to read on my own and I just fell in love with it.
I'll probably keep reading it throughout my life. I should really buy a copy of it soon.

message 20: by Janet (new)

Janet | 2 comments I've read To Kill a Mockingbird quite a few times . . . there's something about the setting that evokes memories of my childhood (no, I'm not that old, but the South didn't change that much -- unfortunately -- between the time period in the book and when I was growing up). I've also re-read all the Potter books at least a couple of times -- like Sarah, when a new one came out, I re-read the ones that came before it.

As a child, I re-read Little Women almost every year -- I'm not sure why, but it was something I did.

message 21: by Vaughan (new)

Vaughan | 3 comments I rarely re-read a book, however, Five Smooth Stones and Little Women have been read many times over...both favorites. Most other re-reads are my children's/grandchildren's favorites that are committed to memory...Dickens, Christmas Carol is one.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 5 comments Can't say that I've read a book twice. I'm too anxious to move on to the next one!

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 5 comments But, come to think of it...I have read Charlotte's Web more than once.

message 24: by Bryce, Grand High Poobah (new)

Laurie wrote: "But, come to think of it...I have read Charlotte's Web more than once."

I've read that one multiple times, too. And of course watched the cartoon, although I have yet to watch the live action adaptation from a year or so ago.