Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The Inauguration...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 13, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are you going to watch the inauguration on television? What goes on at an inauguration? How long does it take? Is it just, like, speeches and all that? I just want to watch the Obama part, where he speaks. I don't care about the rest.

As you can see, I love formal events.:) I know the whole "it's history, blah, blah blah" thing, but you would have to pay me a significant sum to battle the crowds so I could be six hundred yards from the stage or whatever at the inauguration. I'd rather watch on tv, if I watch at all.

And...you?

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) I'd love to, but I'll be working that day.

Although I think my company will be broadcasting the inauguration at their atrium in the lobby. If so, I'll be watching.

message 3: by Meen (last edited Jan 13, 2009 07:16AM) (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments I WAS planning on going to DC for the inauguration. Not like to any BALLS or anything, but to at least be a "part of history" as the motorcade goes by. HOWEVER, financial difficulties are keeping me in Mobile. *wah* I think a group of my friends is having an inauguration watch party, so I'll probably go to that and be a crying mess.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Jan 13, 2009 07:39AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I'm thinking about volunteering to help organize/prep a local watch party (they've been calling me). It should be fun.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm going to be on vacation in Escondido, visiting Chris' grandfather, Phil, who is really into politics. So I'm sure we'll all watch the inauguration together. I look forward to Phil drily commenting on any political absurdities that are bound to come up.

message 6: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments Meh

message 7: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 347 comments Pols just don't know how to party. All the ones that do end up indicted or resign in disgrace. Now if I could go to a black sheep pol party, that would be fun. As long as Vitter stays out of diapers.

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Jan 14, 2009 06:12AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Say what you want, Logan. I think inauguration days are fascinating celebrations. I still remember Maya Angelou's poetry reading at Clinton's inaugural event. It was a beautiful contribution. Plus, having attended political events in the past... anouncing a bid for presidency, election day, inauguration day... I can say that watching it on tv doesn't do it justice. The energy, the hope, of the group is alive and palpable. It's incredible to experience... In my opinion, the closest thing to it would maybe be a concert, and they don't even come close.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (DreamElis) | 53 comments It's my birthday. Tuesday. But as I'm working 7:30- 8ish and don't have cable, I'll just be quietly grateful. A friend of mine's having a party on Saturday, though, to celebrate the end of the Bush administration. I may go to that.

message 10: by Charly (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:56PM) (new)

Charly Have a late day so I will be able to watch. I am not sure what he will say but it sure will be nice to have a president who can at times be considered eloquent.

It is argueably the most exciting day of the century, possibly the most historic.

By the way Happy Birthday Danielle. Aren't Garnets such a cool stone?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You can watch it on cnn.com, Danielle. Live! Happy pre-birthday.

I gotta go into work tomorrow to juice up the whole school to watch the inauguration live. If I pull it off, it's gonna be fun! The kids are so excited.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Happy....birthday...Danielle...

There are supposedly televisions set up all over campus for the inauguration, and one of the huge conference rooms will have it on a big screen.

I'm still not sure what one sees when one watches an inauguration, though. Is it boring?

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments Any other President, I woulda said, "Yep, it's boring." Not this year, though!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think it will be fascinating political theater. I wouldn't miss it for the world!
I look forward to hearing what nonsense the news people start blathering when they run out of substantive things to say. :D

message 15: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments Ugh, thanks for reminding me, Jackie. I will be turning down the volume anytime except when Obama and Biden and the Supreme (who does it? Roberts?) is speaking. News commentary annoys the poop out of me. Except NPR, they usually manage not to... Maybe I'll have cnn.com on for visuals and then an NPR station on for audio.

message 16: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments Hey GR just added that weblink automatically!

Nice!

npr.org

message 17: by Meen (last edited Jan 19, 2009 11:04AM) (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments This is the local NPR station I listen to:

http://www.mpbonline.org/

It's from MS, but I like it better than Mobile's public radio station. And I can listen to it online. (Plus, I'm from MS, so it helps me feel connected to "home.")

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments I think today is the second most exciting day in history because it's W's last day in office! I thought this day would never arrive.

Re: political anaysis, unless you're reeeeeeally stupid, or reeeeeeeally bored, what's the point? I don't need anyone to tell me whatI've just seen and heard - unless it's math.

message 19: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments I will be working throughout the inauguration. Somebody has to keep the country going while you guys are goofing off.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Thanks, Cyril! I really appreciate that.

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I was working, but a lot of us stopped and watched it on a tiny tv one of the ladies has on her desk, and no one objected. They had a big tv set up in the cafeteria of the hospital as well. I'm glad I got to see it. My daughter said they were going to be watching it in all the classrooms at her school, too. They did a good job not looking half-frozen and the speech Obama made was awesome!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.