Santa Barbara Book Club discussion

General Info > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi! My name is Holly and I live in Goleta.

I love reading books that transport me to new places, and create new worlds to explore. I think a sign of a good book is when you get so wrapped up in its world and characters, you're convinced they must exist, somewhere. Or when you dread reaching the end, because you don't want to leave that story behind.

My favorite books are sci-fi and fantasy. I love Garth Nix's "Sabriel" trilogy, and of course Douglas Adams' books. Although, my favorite by him is the lesser-known "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul".

I've also recently been getting into travel writing, reading all of Karin Muller's books (Japanland, Along the Inca Trail, and Hitchhiking Vietnam). She has the wonderful ability to make you feel like you're on the journey with her. And any author who can make me laugh out loud gets extra points. :-)

Some of my recent reads include
- Kage Baker's "The Company" series (sci-fi)
- Freakonomics (non-fiction)

I'm currently reading
- Shadowbridge (fantasy)
- The Undercover Economist (non-fiction)

message 2: by David (last edited Jan 26, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

David (davidboy) (That's a good format, Holly. Thanks for the lead!)

I'm David, and I also live in Goleta.

I enjoy clever writing and love books that teach me something. I hate waiting for the release of the next book in a series...

I read mostly sci-fi. I used to read a lot of fantasy but avoid it now, as I get sucked into series and lose sleep. Some folk in my family are mystery fans, and at their instigation I'm easing into the genre. I read fiction more for enjoyment rather than edification, and I much prefer light-hearted books to somber ones.

Also, I'm always looking for science and economics books that are well-written and/or fun to read--even textbooks. Steven Vogel's Life in Moving Fluids and Martin Kemp's Visualizations: The Nature Book of Art and Science are two of my favorites.

Finally, I hope to someday read (and understand) "Cien años de soledad" by Gabriel García Márquez in the original Spanish.

Recently read:
- Flashforward, by Robert Sawyer (sci-fi)

Currently reading:
- Robin Hobb's "Tawny Man" series (so much for avoiding fantasy...)
- Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters (mystery)

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi David. Welcome to the group! Sounds like we read similar types of books.

Nice to see that other people are reading the Kage Baker novels. She actually lives just a few hours north of here, in Grover Beach (or at least she used to).

I haven't read a lot of mystery novels myself, but "Crocodile on the Sandbank" sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try.

message 4: by David (last edited Jan 31, 2009 08:40AM) (new)

David (davidboy) Yeah, I was so surprised about our reading overlap that I joined the group--doing so was a bit out of character for me. The group is great so far, though, even with just two members. I've been waffling on whether to read the "Sabriel" trilogy, but now I'll definitely take the plunge.

(A person who REALLY likes the Kage Baker books is my fiance; though I think she started reading them mainly for the humor of stealing my books.)

message 5: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Hi Everyone,

I'm the one who likes stealing David's books. My name is Juliana and I live in Goleta, too.

I'm with you, Holly, on what makes a good book. I love getting totally sucked in and living in a totally different word for as long as the book lasts.

I like to read Latinamerican novels; my favorite is La Novia Oscura by Laura Restrepo. I also very much enjoy reading sci-fi. My current favorite is the Vorkosigan Saga (like The Vor Game) by Lois McMaster Bujold, which I am about to finish. Finally, I really enjoy sci-fi books that have some sort of historical connotation, like Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card or novels by Stephen R. Lawhead.

Currently on my reading list:
Avalon The Return of King Arthur by Lawhead,
A Civil Campaign by Bujold

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Welcome Juliana, great to have you in the group!

I've always thought I should read some of Orson Scott Card's novels, though I guess I've just never gotten around to it. Pastwatch sounds like an interesting Historical-Sci-fi mix.

I looked at some of Stephen Lawhead's books. I bet I'd like his work too.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean DAgnolo Hi everybody,
I'm new in SB and like reading, well everything you all have above and just about anything else. Some of my favorite authors are Rushdie, Vonnegut, I really liked one book by Murikami(sp?), but since I've been disappointed, Marquez is pretty dreamy(espanol version is super-ambitious-goodonya David!), Orson Scott Card for sure. In the middle of Asimov's Foundation series which is my first for him. Sorry this is huge run-on I only have a minute but I'm glad to find six other people here read books and look forward to more correspondence. Do you ever meet? Or have a book you all read and chat about?

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Sean, welcome to the area and the book club. We haven't gotten together yet, but I'd like to. I've been keeping an eye out for books that are being turned into movies. I thought it would be interesting for us to read the novel, see the movie and then have a discussion. All of that could be done separately/online, or we could meet at a coffee shop or where ever. Let me know if you have any book suggestions.

-Holly

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) Hi everyone! I'm Whitney and recently moved to Goleta.

I read a lot of realistic contemporary fiction, especially books written for the young adult market (like The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and Wintergirls). I also like literary graphic novels like Blankets.

Two books I've liked recently have been The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and The Graveyard Book.

As for books turned into movies, there's Time Traveler's Wife (Aug.), The Road (Oct), and Lovely Bones (Dec). I'd be up for a discussion of any of those.

message 10: by Sean (new)

Sean DAgnolo I'll read one of those

message 11: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hey there! I'm new to Goodreads and was so excited to see a Santa Barbara group on here. My name is Tabitha, and I live in Goleta with my husband Joe.

I love reading just about anything, really. Lately I've read a bunch of love-story-type books (The Wednesday Letters, The Choice (Sparks), and I'm currently finishing up The Time Traveler's Wife), but I also enjoy sci-fi/fantasy, psychological thrillers, young adult fiction...you name it.

I'm kind of a fickle reader. I'll read ten books in a matter of a few weeks, then go ten months without reading much of anything. I'm definitely in a reading frenzy lately, though.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what happens here in this group.

Oh, and I've read The Road and Lovely Bones and had no idea they're being made into movies! I will definitely be seeing those.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hello everyone,
I hope you guys are still active. I just moved to Goleta and was looking for a good book group.

As for my taste in books... It varies widely with my mood. I love the classics. Charles Dickens is amazing! I just re-read Dracula recently.

I also enjoy "childish" fantasies from time to time. Harry Potter, for example, is a great way to escape once in a while.

I am open to trying new things in books. My boyfriend got me to read "Ender's Game"recently, which I enjoyed it for the most part.

I'm not sure if you guys are still doing the September book. I've read the Lovely Bones. Like Tabitha, I didn't know it was becoming a movie. I'd like to read the Time Traveler's Wife at some point.

message 13: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi Jessica! Yep, the group is active. I just joined a week or two ago, so I'm glad to see another new person coming in. Where did you move from? Isn't SB/Goleta beautiful? :)

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I moved from Whittier, CA (it is in South LA county). Yeah, Goleta is absolutely gorgeous. I love the weather! It is sunny but with a cool breeze.

message 15: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) I know Whittier! I used to live in Covina/Azusa. :)

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica It's such a small world!

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Hi guys. My name is Jeff. I recently moved from Oregon back into town. My cousin introduced me to this site and I am thrilled to have found you. I just started reading for pleasure about 3 years ago. My interests vary widely from classics to popular fiction. Right now I am reading Infinite Jest and The Time Traveler's wife. I am not sure how this works or if you guys are still active but if so I look forward to meeting you all.

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Jeff. Welcome back to SB and to the group! I have some family up in the Bend/Sunriver area; it's really a beautiful place.

Our next meeting will be at the beginning of December, to discuss "What the Dog Saw and Other Stories."

Check out the "December Meeting" topic on the group page.

-Holly

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne Hello!

My name is Anne and I recently moved to the Goleta area with my boyfriend. I am an avid reader and also a librarian...I graduated this past December with an MLS. I also currently work part-time at the Goleta Public Library, so that location is very familiar! My reading tastes are really across the board...if it looks interesting, I'll read it. I've lately been trying to read more children's literature since I do tend to read mainly adult.

I look forward to meeting everyone in April!

Anne

message 20: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Welcome, Anne! :)

message 21: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi Michelle! Welcome to Goleta, and to the club! I've been "in" the club for months, but only went to my first meeting in March. So I'm still kind of new, too. But I can tell you that everyone's very welcoming!

Also, I don't know how fast you can read, but if you do get a chance to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, I don't think you'll regret it. I really enjoyed it, and I'm excited to see what everyone else thought!

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Hello,
My name is Alexandra and I am a second year student at UC Santa Barbara. I have been looking for a book club to join on campus but have been unsuccessful so I am pleased to find this page. I don't have a preference in books because I will read just about anything. I hope to attend the April meeting unless I can't finish the book in time. I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

message 23: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi Alexandria!

I can't speak for everyone else, but I think you'd be welcome to come to the meeting next week even if you don't finish the book! Although I suppose you may hear some "spoilers"...

Look forward to meeting you!

message 24: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Hi,
To be honest, when I searched book clubs not 15 minutes ago, I didn't think I'd actually be so quick to find one, but after the first few comments where sci-fi and fantasy were mentionned as favorites, I knew. I just moved down here from north of Seattle, and as I love to read, I figured a book club would be a good idea. The funny thing is, I've been meaning to read Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, so this is all the motivation I need to finally pick it up. I look forward to meeting everyone in May.

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Amanda. Welcome to the club!

message 26: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi Amanda! Are you friend with Michelle? She just moved from Seattle, too. :)

message 27: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Thanks for the welcome!
Michelle and I are not acquainted, but I'm sure we'll meet at the next meeting. :)

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 3 comments Hello all,

My name is Ryan, and I moved to SB from upstate New York about 3 years back now. I've rediscovered reading for pleasure in the past couple years.

I'll read most genres, but mostly find myself reading fantasy and sci fi. Typically I dip into the classics, John Grisham, or maybe science non-fiction for variety, but I like the idea of joining a book club : ).

I decided to look for a local book club and was happy to find this one. The same day I joined I bought "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie"… but I realized I couldn't make April's meeting shortly after that. I'm currently hoping to make it to the May meeting, and I'm optimistic about making it.

Some books that I've recently read and like, or just like:

Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind)
Jonathon Stroud (The Bartimaeus trilogy)
Neil Gaiman (American Gods)
Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson)
Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
Dracula (Bram Stoker)

Look forward to meeting you all.

~Ryan

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Welcome to the club Ryan!

message 30: by Ramona (last edited Oct 29, 2010 05:59PM) (new)

Ramona Ausubel Hello all!

I just moved to Santa Barbara this summer (my husband is a grad student at UCSB). I'm really excited to find you! I'm a writer, with a novel and a collection of short stories forthcoming. You won't be surprised that I read a lot! And I love having people to talk about books with. I might try to come to the November meeting if I finish the book in time.

I read mostly literary fiction, but I also love creative nonfiction and poetry. I haven't read so much sci-fi or fantasy, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

--Mona

message 31: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Hi Mona! Welcome to Santa Barbara and our book club. :-)

message 32: by Imani (new)

Imani Hello everyone! I see that no one has really posted here since 2010 though I did check and saw new members joined since then. Oh well, I'll introduce myself anyway!

First of all, I was nervous to join because I've never been involved in a book club before but since I've turned 20 I want to be more involved with people who love what I love! I'm a big bookworm, I was born and raised in Santa Barbara. (lucky me..)

My favorite genres are young adult, sci-fi, fantasy, chick lit, and historical fiction. I think Holly's first post described what I love most in books too; books that can carry me away into other worlds, possibilities and lives. Books that can be SO convincing that those places and people do exist! A good book is one that you really wish wouldn't end, or makes you think "just ONE more chapter", and then it's five chapters later and 1 am, OR a book that touches your heart/makes you see in a new perspective/or makes you cry a little. Also any book that can make me laugh out loud is a GREAT book in my opinion.

For an example of fantasy, I loved Eragon (Inheritance Cycle), and the Pellinor Series. Beautifully written.
For books that made me laugh (i find it's the chick lit genre XD ) books by Meg Cabot and Sophie Kinsella are the best!! Lauren Willig as well! (but she's historical fiction, so it might not appeal to most ppl?..) Also this one book called Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell was funny, a YA book and a book about travel. It's short but worth the read!!

Ok, omg, it's nearly midnight. I hope my post is coherent and I genuinely hope to be good friends with people! (my local peeps! hahaha) ^__^

~~Imani~~

message 33: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Imani. Welcome to the book club! Hope to see you at our next meeting.

- Holly

message 34: by Misteeyed (new)

Misteeyed | 1 comments Thank you,
Diane

message 35: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments Hello Everyone,

Just joined, and I'm also new to GoodReads. I'm glad to have found a book club!

My reading habits are all over the place, although I generally read a lot of romance :)
I'm hoping to discover some new people and new and interesting books here.

Best,
Demelza

message 36: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Welcome to the club! :-)

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy Hi, My name is Christy!

Questions:
Can I join the club?
If so can I just read the book and come to the next meeting?!

I'm excited! I've been looking for a book club for a while now!

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Christy. New members are always welcome! Yes, just read the book and come to the meeting. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, if you like reading Young Adult books, check out our other club: Santa Barbara YA Reading Group

- Holly

message 39: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments Welcome Christy!

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 22, 2012 10:29PM) (new)

Hello,

My name is Stephanie and I was hoping to join a book club to keep my brain active over the summer.

I really look forward to meeting you all.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the May meeting, but I'm sure June will bring some great reading!

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Welcome to the club Stephanie!

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 1 comments Hello Everyone,

I moved to Santa Barbara after getting a job in January and have been looking for a book club to join. I'm very glad to have finally found one. I'm originally from Oxnard though I did attend UCSB as an undergraduate so I'm no stranger to the city. I enjoy reading books of all kinds, but in particular, I'm a fan of cozy mysteries, fantasy, and science books. Right now, I'm reading Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series as well as July's selection, Defending Jacob. I hope to make it to the July meeting to hear the lively discussion. I'm excited about reading many interesting books and meeting new people.

message 43: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Tiffany! Welcome to the group!

message 44: by Demelza (new)

Demelza (loveinthepages) | 14 comments Welcome Tiffany!

message 45: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 2 comments It was nice meeting everyone last time. So, hello again, I guess. Unshared passions can be unfulfilling, so I'm looking forward to getting excited about books with the rest of you.

message 46: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Welcome to the group!

message 47: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments Hi! I am a friend of Whitney's and she recommended this group to me. Hopefully one of these days I can read a book in time and come to a meeting!

message 48: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) Katherine wrote: "Hi! I am a friend of Whitney's and she recommended this group to me. Hopefully one of these days I can read a book in time and come to a meeting!"

Hi Katherine! Welcome to the group. I've been a slacker lately and have missed about 7/10 of this year's meetings but I hope to be better in the future. FYI, you're always welcome to come even if you haven't finished the book -- but you may be exposed to spoilers. :)

message 49: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments Hi all! I moved to Santa Barbara from North County a few weeks ago--though I've been working here for a little over two years now. Excited to find a new book club to join right in my backyard. (I used to belong to one up in San Luis Obispo.) Looking forward to meeting everyone!

message 50: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Hi Christine. Welcome to the group! Hope to see you at the next meeting.

« previous 1