Gig Harbor AP Language Reads The Great Gatsby discussion

Gatsby

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Bouterse | 20 comments Mod
...sigh... another orphaned thread...

Anyway, Gatsby is positively intriguing? Yes? No? Maybe so?

I can't quite it express it: there something's so palpably tragic behind his character, a combination of his precious uniqueness and his childish idealism that the world is just absolutely going to mash. I think he's the innocent of the novel.

message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley | 11 comments To me Gatsby is a character that is perceived very differently than everyone expects throughout the novel. The partygoers and New Yorkers think of him as a man that is wealthy and very mysterious. People are filled with envy and look at him as if he was in such a higher class than they are. However; Gatsby is as innocent as any other characters like you said. Sure he was brought up with a good amount of money....but that doesn't change the fact that he feels the same way as others - in love. People overestimate him too much and should see him as who he really is rather than what they have heard.

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley | 11 comments Now that the colors thread has been locked due to talking about free color journal entries, which I definitely understand, let's talk about Daisy now instead of Gatsby. What do people feel about Daisy and her character? Would her character present some sort of a similar idea regarding all the women during this time?