The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Book Group Selection

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments It's my turn to pick for my reading group. We read general fiction or non-fiction.

An example of some that we have read:

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (this month)
A Million Little Pieces
The Book of Joe
Random Harvest
Candy Freak
To Kill A Mockingbird

We've been meeting for over 10 years now. Any suggestions? Something that would discussion worthy?

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fun! If I were in your position, I'd probably choose Persuasion or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This thread could be helpful to you, as far as recommendations go: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, 3 of the five of us have already ready Guernsey.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1628 comments I always recommend The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka. Every book club I have ever been in I always use that one and it never fails!!!

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
East of Eden - Steinbeck
The Welsh Girl - Peter Ho Davis
The American Boy - Andrew Taylor (or An Unpardonable Crime if you're in the US)
Atonement - Ian McEwan
The Glass Palace - Amitav Ghosh
The Hungry Tide - Amitav Ghosh
Jane Austen: A Life - Claire Tomalin (non-fic)
Stiff - Mary Roach (non-fic)
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
84 Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanneff if you liked the Guernsey book.
Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Morgorian
Chocolat - Joanne Harris

I think all those will be good to discuss in a reading group. I only really know one on your list (Mockingbird) but that's a selection of the books I've enjoyed that might be up your street.

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments I've heard good things about Revolutionary Road - maybe you could read that and then go see the movie? I think I'm picking the next selection for my book club as well and that's one I've been thinking about ...

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Is your book club mostly women? If so I would have love to discussed these books with a group of women: The Red Tent and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel. They both deal with female relationships.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I remember after reading The Lace Reader that I wanted SO badly to discuss the book with others and get their take on it. This was before I had joined TNBBC, and so I ended up posting a thread in the general discussion area of GR. There is a lot to discuss after reading that book! Good luck deciding...There have been some other wonderful books mentioned here!

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9859 comments Mod
well, i would suggest Blindness by Jose Saramago but it doesnt seem like the type of book they would read. What the heck, I recommend it anyway :)

Also try Any Bitter Thing: A Novel. Great novel about a woman recupperating from a serious accident who thinks she sees her dead uncle at her side. This could drum up some discussion as it has to do with the church (her uncle was a preist) and infidelity, and the search for something to beleive in.

message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody | 564 comments The Thirteenth Tale and The Book Thief. I think both would make excellent Book Club books.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Where the Heart is by Billie Letts is great. I know there's a movie, so some may have been exposed to it already, but of course, the book offers so much more. Maybe you could watch the movie after?

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments This group has been together for over 10 years now...so many great books have been suggested that we've already read. I think I'll do The Book Thief.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Great choice, Brenda! I have heard that it is an amazing book. I bought myself a copy with some of my Christmas money and am really looking forward to reading it. Give us your feedback after your group has read it!

message 14: by Sophie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:39AM) (new)

Sophie | 3 comments Rarely would I recommend a debut novel for a book club (Kite Runner was an exception) but I would strongly recommend Fidali's Way by George Mastras. It's unbelievable that it's a first novel -- complex, rich characters, lushly written, page-turning story, and so very timely an examination of a Westerner's immersion in the cultures of South Asia (India, Pakistan, and especially Kashmir) and the current conflicts there so important to our times -- besides being an entertaining love story, adventure odyssey, and a story of spiritual enlightenment. If you liked Kite Runner, or Three Cups of Tea (though non-fiction), or English Patient, or perhaps Corelli's Mandolin, you'll like Fidali's Way. My book clubs going to read it next. You'll have great discussions off it.

Fidali's Way A Novel

Sophie C

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Sophie - You sold me...I'm adding it to my to-be-read list!

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Me too Sophie! Thanks! On my list.

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Donna, Thanks for the suggestion of "The Rice Mother." I have added this book to my TBR list.

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Jackie wrote: "Is your book club mostly women? If so I would have love to discussed these books with a group of women: [b:The Red Tent|4989|The Red Tent|Anita Diamant|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165......"

Snow flower is very good.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I liked Snow Flower also, but was a little frustrated with the ending. I can't say what I would have preferred, but I guess that's why I'm not an author! :)

message 20: by Lucy (last edited Feb 14, 2009 08:43AM) (new)

Lucy Bernard | 3 comments I am a big fan of Lauren B. Davis, Canadian author extraordinaire. I just finished her latest collection of short stories, An Unrehearsed Desire, and was blown away. Each story is a gem, and the variety of characters and voices are so engaging I couldn't put the book down. It is a true pleasure to recommend this collection. I think book groups would enjoy discussing this collection, as the quality of the writing and variety of the stories would give plenty to each member of the reading group to think about. My book group will be doing this one next month. Character and plot development is what keeps a reader turning the page. These stories are page turners!

message 21: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments Books that sparked awesome discussion within my book group:

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Enjoy!

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments We seem to have the best discussion on books we don't like. If we all liked it, we have very little to say.

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Brenda wrote: "We seem to have the best discussion on books we don't like. If we all liked it, we have very little to say. "

Don't you love the discussions when everyone has an opion and knows why they feel that way!?!