The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Has anyone ever had a reviewer get upset because you quoted them?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MG (new)

MG Hardie | 28 comments Here is the situation. I received some great comments from a well respected person on my book via email. I immediately sent a return email asking them if I could quote them. I waited a few days and no response, so I quoted them in blog...unnamed of course. They didn't say they were upset, but they must have seen the blog and went on a site and submarined my overall book rating. Now was I wrong? I mean I know in the person's eyes I was but really. Is there some type of ediquette to this? And when I say submarined I mean Submarined. Thoughts?

message 2: by MG (new)

MG Hardie | 28 comments That's what I am saying. I guess it is because I didn't have permission. Sorry... give me my 5 star rating back.Saved By Grace wrote: "If it was a good thing, I don't see why the person would mind so much.
(Apologies, I'd like to re-introduce myself since our first encounter was not so great)

Hi, I'm SBG, welcome to TNBBC. Hope y..."

message 3: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 52 comments M.g.

"so I quoted them in blog...unnamed of course" got my attention.

It seems you have committed two major breaches of etiquette. Of course, if permission to quote was not given, you should have waited for it or followed up (email sometimes does not get through) but in fact, the other error was arguably worse.

Why "of course", M.g.?

Usually, with a review, you are permitted to quote a "snip"... the best three or four lines... without explicit permission. That is "Fair Use" and is expected.

If you quote someone in part or in full, you must give full attribution. To quote without attribution is a copyright violation.

"Full attribution" means that you give the author's name, plus the name and url of the review site if this was a professional review from a review site, otherwise the author's website url, and whatever tag is most useful and relevant, such as "USA Today bestselling author of (name their book)" or else "(Named Prestigious Literary Award/Prize)-winning author of (name of their prize winning book).

Attribution helps you more than it helps the author who gave you the quote, but every author appreciates being thanked and tastefully promoted. That is their reward for the time they spent reading your book.

Now, what should you do?

It seems to me, there's nothing like a straightforward honest confession that you fouled up and an apology. If you have the author's mailing address, I'd recommend a hand written note.

You might say that you were so excited by their kind words that you went ahead and blogged... you might say that you DRAFTED your blog, but were waiting for them to respond with permission before you added attribution, but somehow your blog got POSTED by accident.

Whatever you do, do not ask for your stars back! You must not imply that you think the author has seen your blog and retaliated, because... if you imply that, they will guess that you aren't really sorry.

Moreover, they will be deeply insulted if it turns out that they had nothing to do with your poor ratings.

Meanwhile, since this discussion is public, you probably will want to remove the blog post in question before we all figure out who your mystery admirer was.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

message 4: by MG (new)

MG Hardie | 28 comments It's all good thanks for the advice.