The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo question

Question about the movie?
Matthew Wallace Matthew Jun 16, 2012 11:10AM
So im about to start reading the first book but I plan on watching the new movie that came out, but should I read all 3 books first then watch the movie or just read the first book and watch the movie? no spoilers please

I read the first book, saw the Hollywood film, then read the other books. I don't think seeing the movie ruined anything for the other books. I think reading book one first did fill in some gaps in the movie, though.

Penny (last edited Jul 15, 2012 08:38AM ) Jul 15, 2012 08:30AM   0 votes
I've only seen the film trilogy (*). On it's own merits, the trilogy gets my rating of 4 out of 5. Here's the anwer to your question from a discussion forum paid for by AMAZON, called the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), invented in the UK and then globalized by Amazon. I agree with this opinion quoted.

Is it necessary to read the book before seeing the movie?

Whether or not to read a novel before seeing a movie (or vice versa) is always a personal call on the part of each viewer. However, the majority of viewers who have done both agree that the movie should be seen first. The book is more complicated and contains other characters not found in the movie. Reading the book after seeing the movie helps to fill in the details. Many of those who first tried reading the book sometimes ended up putting it down because the story was too slow-moving in the beginning.

( * ) By "film trilogy" I refer to
The Stieg Larsson Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / The Girl Who Played With Fire / The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) (2010)
http://www.amazon.com/Larsson-Trilogy...

i think you should read the book first and then watch the movie (as the hollywood version of the movie is really faithful to the book, so i think you might get bored if you see the movie and then attempted to read the book!) that being said, i don't think you need to read the other two sequels before seeing the movie... i don't think it spoils anything from them.

I would read the first book before seeing the movie; the American made movie is just the first book.

I watched the foreign film first then the Americanmade movie and then the book.... regardless of where you start you will analyze it all anyway...each gives one a different perspective...

Zoran (last edited Jul 15, 2012 08:40PM ) Jul 15, 2012 08:31PM   0 votes
I would have to agree with most of the comments. Zack makes a good point about the second and third book being tied closer together. As a matter of fact, I just started reading the third book right after I finished the second. It feels as if I'm still reading the second book.

As for the films, I watched the Swedish version only right after I read each book. I don't think watching the first film ruined the second book for me. Though, I would definitely read each book first before watching the corresponding film.

Mark mentions that the film can often ruin the characters that you invision while reading the book. That might be the case, and yes I did invision the characters differently, but I don't think it ruined it for me. I believe they were as authentic (This all relates to the Swedish version, I still haven't seen the Hollywood version).

The first book can be read by itself, as it has it's own conclusion. The second book begins shortly after the first book concludes, but begins a different plot-line which continues into the third book. I would assume that the movie is the same, though I have not seen it, because it would be very strange otherwise. You should be fine reading only the first book before seeing the movie.

Are you talking about the Swedish films or the American films? There is a very important event in the second book which is inserted into the FIRST Swedish film. It was an intelligent decision in terms of filmmaking but it irritated me that the surprise was ruined as a book reader. I would recommend reading all three books first. And I would recommend both the Swedish and the American films. And I should probably get out of the habit of using the word "film", since I imagine in a few years all movues will be digital.

read the first book and then watch the movie! a lot of stuff is left out of the movie (probably for the better), but the book is riveting.

Some things in book two were shown in the movies (both swedish and fincher's version)